BEv9 NetWare - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BEv9 NetWare - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi I am learning the hard way! Running BE9-4170. Installed from B90OPEN-248038.EXE. I have Sony SDT-10000 [DDS4] drive on Adaptec 160 on Novell 5.1sp4 and 3 servers. The drive has just been away and I am using a warranty replacement ...

  1. BEv9 NetWare

    Hi
    I am learning the hard way! Running BE9-4170. Installed from B90OPEN-248038.EXE.

    I have Sony SDT-10000 [DDS4] drive on Adaptec 160 on Novell 5.1sp4 and 3
    servers. The drive has just been away and I am using a warranty replacement
    - supposed to be OK.

    I have admin on one server and agents on the other two, all with OFO.

    I am having troubles getting the tapes to work as have had to reformat from
    ArcServe.

    eg one job, if correctly set up should back up some areas of the data volume,
    nearly all of sys and the DOS partition of one remote.
    I got Job Completed: With ERROR - Media format inconsistency has been detected.
    (24616)
    A search of Veritas Support will not find an exact match for "Media format
    inconsistency" or "24616" but offers 'Media format inconsistency 24616' as
    a separate word search not "word" string search. And the docs returned do
    not address the error. They contain seemingly some of the words but not yet
    the error message I am seeking.

    Have a go at a failed erase job
    Job completed: With ERROR - NDMP Error NDMP_NO_DEVICE_ERR (16). etc

    Again, unless I have missed something in method the Support site does not
    help with the Veritas produced error message. Surely the site must have tech
    info/support for the product's own error messages. Or is this wishful thinking?

    I think the NDMP error came about because the drive thought it needed cleaning.
    Or perhaps it could not deal with that tape?

    In any event assistance would be appreciated on how to
    1. get ArcServe formatted tapes to work with BE
    2. how to identify the tape in the drive [catalog returns a number like 2D0D5859
    as family ID but not a media name [eg 4MM_000003]which is in the Media list.
    3. how to find the right info in support.veritas.com
    4. the date format in the admin console is mm-dd-yy. The logs allow a change
    to dd-mm-yy. Does the console?

    Thanks
    John Glennie CNE

  2. Re: BEv9 NetWare

    "John Glennie" wrote:

    >Hi
    >I am learning the hard way! Running BE9-4170. Installed from B90OPEN-248038.EXE.
    >
    >I have Sony SDT-10000 [DDS4] drive on Adaptec 160 on Novell 5.1sp4 and 3
    >servers. The drive has just been away and I am using a warranty replacement
    >- supposed to be OK.
    >
    >I have admin on one server and agents on the other two, all with OFO.
    >
    >I am having troubles getting the tapes to work as have had to reformat from
    >ArcServe.
    >
    >eg one job, if correctly set up should back up some areas of the data volume,
    >nearly all of sys and the DOS partition of one remote.
    >I got Job Completed: With ERROR - Media format inconsistency has been detected.
    >(24616)
    >A search of Veritas Support will not find an exact match for "Media format
    >inconsistency" or "24616" but offers 'Media format inconsistency 24616'

    as
    >a separate word search not "word" string search. And the docs returned do
    >not address the error. They contain seemingly some of the words but not

    yet
    >the error message I am seeking.
    >
    >Have a go at a failed erase job
    >Job completed: With ERROR - NDMP Error NDMP_NO_DEVICE_ERR (16). etc
    >
    >Again, unless I have missed something in method the Support site does not
    >help with the Veritas produced error message. Surely the site must have

    tech
    >info/support for the product's own error messages. Or is this wishful thinking?
    >
    >I think the NDMP error came about because the drive thought it needed cleaning.
    >Or perhaps it could not deal with that tape?
    >
    >In any event assistance would be appreciated on how to
    >1. get ArcServe formatted tapes to work with BE
    >2. how to identify the tape in the drive [catalog returns a number like

    2D0D5859
    >as family ID but not a media name [eg 4MM_000003]which is in the Media list.
    >3. how to find the right info in support.veritas.com
    >4. the date format in the admin console is mm-dd-yy. The logs allow a change
    >to dd-mm-yy. Does the console?
    >
    >Thanks
    >John Glennie CNE

    Whoo Whoo, not so fast not, to many, John.
    First thing first:
    - Tape drive replaced? Compaq? Use HP Spareparts, never Sony!
    - Catalog the tape on the server console to locate Arcserve catalogs.
    - make sure that BE doesn't lock the tape, so that the tape is never write-protected!

  3. Re: BEv9 NetWare

    "Jeroen van der Vorst" wrote in message

    > "John Glennie" wrote:
    > >
    > >Hi
    > >I am learning the hard way! Running BE9-4170. Installed from

    B90OPEN-248038.EXE.

    > >I have Sony SDT-10000 [DDS4] drive on Adaptec 160 on Novell 5.1sp4 and 3
    > >servers. The drive has just been away and I am using a warranty

    replacement
    > >- supposed to be OK.
    > >
    > >I have admin on one server and agents on the other two, all with OFO.
    > >
    > >I am having troubles getting the tapes to work as have had to reformat

    from
    > >ArcServe.
    > >
    > >eg one job, if correctly set up should back up some areas of the data

    volume,
    > >nearly all of sys and the DOS partition of one remote.
    > >I got Job Completed: With ERROR - Media format inconsistency has been

    detected.
    > >(24616)
    > >A search of Veritas Support will not find an exact match for "Media

    format
    > >inconsistency" or "24616" but offers 'Media format inconsistency 24616'

    > as
    > >a separate word search not "word" string search. And the docs returned do
    > >not address the error. They contain seemingly some of the words but not

    > yet
    > >the error message I am seeking.
    > >
    > >Have a go at a failed erase job
    > >Job completed: With ERROR - NDMP Error NDMP_NO_DEVICE_ERR (16). etc
    > >
    > >Again, unless I have missed something in method the Support site does not
    > >help with the Veritas produced error message. Surely the site must have

    > tech
    > >info/support for the product's own error messages. Or is this wishful

    thinking?

    > >I think the NDMP error came about because the drive thought it needed

    cleaning.
    > >Or perhaps it could not deal with that tape?
    > >
    > >In any event assistance would be appreciated on how to
    > >1. get ArcServe formatted tapes to work with BE
    > >2. how to identify the tape in the drive [catalog returns a number like

    > 2D0D5859
    > >as family ID but not a media name [eg 4MM_000003]which is in the Media

    list.
    > >3. how to find the right info in support.veritas.com
    > >4. the date format in the admin console is mm-dd-yy. The logs allow a

    change
    > >to dd-mm-yy. Does the console?
    > >
    > >Thanks
    > >John Glennie CNE

    > Whoo Whoo, not so fast not, to many, John.
    > First thing first:
    > - Tape drive replaced? Compaq? Use HP Spareparts, never Sony!

    ** warranty, another Sony.
    Living with tape until new budget. Looking at HP LTO 215.
    > - Catalog the tape on the server console to locate Arcserve catalogs.

    ** OK. was not aware of this - will check it out.
    Does this mean that BE will read/restore ArcServe tapes??
    > - make sure that BE doesn't lock the tape, so that the tape is never

    write-protected!
    ** Yes, worked this out. Initially I had set to [default?] of 7 days. Now
    set to none.

    ** By the way, went back to Arcserve 6.6 and seems to work OK where BE9 does
    not behave??
    thanks john

+ Reply to Thread