BE 9.0 random scheduled backups failing - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE 9.0 random scheduled backups failing - Veritas Backup Exec ; If anyone has heard of this problem or if you have any suggestions, please help. Randomly, about 50% of the time, the daily scheduled backup starts and then finishes right away backing no files. The Job summary section at the ...

  1. BE 9.0 random scheduled backups failing

    If anyone has heard of this problem or if you have any suggestions, please
    help.
    Randomly, about 50% of the time, the daily scheduled backup starts and then
    finishes right away backing no files. The Job summary section at the end
    of the job log gives to following error and I have been unable to find any
    information about it:

    ##ERR## Job completed: With ERROR - NDMP Error DMP_NO_DEVICE_ERR (16). Unable

    ##ERR##to open target media device. The device may be navailable or it may
    not
    ##ERR## be responding.

    This is a brand new installation of BE 9.0 with a new tape drive and new
    tapes. The server is NW 5.0 w/sp 6. It seems like the problem started about
    the same time we started inserting the tapes for the second time (i.e. we
    cycle through the tapes every 2 weeks). If I put the tape back in the next
    morning and reset the start time for the job to the previous day the job
    will then proceed without a problem.

    Thanks for any help.

  2. Re: BE 9.0 random scheduled backups failing

    Greg

    > This is a brand new installation of BE 9.0 with a new tape drive and new
    > tapes.

    Which build is it? The initial build (4019) of BE9.0 had a problem like
    this, but AFAIK it's been resolved since. Latest build is 4172.2, available
    at:

    Michael

+ Reply to Thread