cannot connect to server via IP - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on cannot connect to server via IP - Veritas Backup Exec ; Here is the problem. I work for a college. I have a main campus and a Law school that are joined together by a T1. We turned the IPX protocol off on the routers on either end of the T1. ...

  1. cannot connect to server via IP

    Here is the problem. I work for a college. I have a main campus and a Law
    school that are joined together by a T1. We turned the IPX protocol off on
    the routers on either end of the T1. I believe that Ping was also turned
    off on the routers.

    When I tried to connect to the servers for backup, it could not see them.
    Anyone have any ideas.

    Thanks,
    Chris

  2. Re: cannot connect to server via IP

    BE version please?
    "Chris Byrd" wrote in message news:3d529805$1@hronntp01....
    > Here is the problem. I work for a college. I have a main campus and a

    Law
    > school that are joined together by a T1. We turned the IPX protocol off

    on
    > the routers on either end of the T1. I believe that Ping was also turned
    > off on the routers.
    >
    > When I tried to connect to the servers for backup, it could not see them.
    > Anyone have any ideas.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chris

  3. Re: cannot connect to server via IP

    The BE version is 8.5. I have to install a new server running NW 5.1 within
    the next couple of weeks, and it will be running 8.5 or 9.0.

    Chris

    "newbie" wrote in message news:3d52a1b2@hronntp01....
    > BE version please?
    > "Chris Byrd" wrote in message news:3d529805$1@hronntp01....
    > > Here is the problem. I work for a college. I have a main campus and a

    > Law
    > > school that are joined together by a T1. We turned the IPX protocol off

    > on
    > > the routers on either end of the T1. I believe that Ping was also

    turned
    > > off on the routers.
    > >
    > > When I tried to connect to the servers for backup, it could not see

    them.
    > > Anyone have any ideas.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Chris

  4. Re: cannot connect to server via IP

    As far as my knowledge BE 9.0 version requires IP only to run. It;s IP based
    solution.
    For BE 8.5 I am not sure.

    > > > Here is the problem. I work for a college. I have a main campus and

    > > Law
    > > > school that are joined together by a T1. We turned the IPX protocol

    off
    > > on
    > > > the routers on either end of the T1. I believe that Ping was also

    > turned
    > > > off on the routers.
    > > >
    > > > When I tried to connect to the servers for backup, it could not see

    > them.
    > > > Anyone have any ideas.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Chris

  5. Re: cannot connect to server via IP

    So if I am running IP and IPX on the servers, then I should not have a
    problem with BE 9.0 because it will only use the IP.

    Chris

    "newbie" wrote in message news:3d537ccb@hronntp01....
    > As far as my knowledge BE 9.0 version requires IP only to run. It;s IP

    based
    > solution.
    > For BE 8.5 I am not sure.
    >
    > "Chris Byrd" wrote in message news:3d52ec2f$1@hronntp01....
    > > The BE version is 8.5. I have to install a new server running NW 5.1

    > within
    > > the next couple of weeks, and it will be running 8.5 or 9.0.
    > >
    > > Chris
    > >
    > > "newbie" wrote in message news:3d52a1b2@hronntp01....
    > > > BE version please?
    > > > "Chris Byrd" wrote in message

    and
    > > > Law

    > off
    > > > on

    > > turned

    > > them.

  6. Re: cannot connect to server via IP

    Yes it should not. The only thing that is required for BE 9.0 is IP.

    > and

    protocol
    > > off
    > > > turned