Novell Restore on W2K - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Novell Restore on W2K - Veritas Backup Exec ; Does anyone know how Backup Exec 8.5 for W2K would show a tape that has backup's from a Novell 5 server? I have a problem with the hardware or software on Novell and I cannot get Backup Exec to backup ...

  1. Novell Restore on W2K

    Does anyone know how Backup Exec 8.5 for W2K would show a tape that has backup's
    from a Novell 5 server? I have a problem with the hardware or software on
    Novell and I cannot get Backup Exec to backup or restore, and I want to switch
    server to W2K, but I need to get files off of an old tape can it be done
    through NT or W2K or would the tape show blank, it is showing blank in W2K
    and I am concerned that there is nothing on the tape. Help!

  2. Re: Novell Restore on W2K

    Are you using BE for netware or BE for NT
    "Kim Stutsman" wrote in message

    > Does anyone know how Backup Exec 8.5 for W2K would show a tape that has

    backup's
    > from a Novell 5 server? I have a problem with the hardware or software on
    > Novell and I cannot get Backup Exec to backup or restore, and I want to

    switch
    > server to W2K, but I need to get files off of an old tape can it be done
    > through NT or W2K or would the tape show blank, it is showing blank in W2K
    > and I am concerned that there is nothing on the tape. Help!

  3. Re: Novell Restore on W2K

    > Does anyone know how Backup Exec 8.5 for W2K would show a tape that has

    backup's
    > from a Novell 5 server? I have a problem with the hardware or software on
    > Novell and I cannot get Backup Exec to backup or restore, and I want to

    switch
    > server to W2K, but I need to get files off of an old tape can it be done
    > through NT or W2K or would the tape show blank, it is showing blank in W2K
    > and I am concerned that there is nothing on the tape. Help!

    If you have a backup set of files from a NetWare server and are trying to
    restore them to a Windows server, you won't be able to do it unless you
    first backup the files with the "backup NetWare compressed files as
    uncompressed files" option enabled for the backup job since Windows doesn't
    understand NetWare file compression. Hence in your case, you'll have to
    restore to a NetWare server, then re-backup with this uncompressed option
    and then restore the uncompressed files to the Windows server.

+ Reply to Thread