Backup Exec 8.5, AIC-7891, and My Dream Of Backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup Exec 8.5, AIC-7891, and My Dream Of Backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; We have two IBM eServer 240s both of which came with the BackupExec CDs to install on them. Both servers are running NetWare 5.1 SP4. We have Adaptec's AIC-7891 SCSI boards on each. I do not see this board as ...

  1. Backup Exec 8.5, AIC-7891, and My Dream Of Backup

    We have two IBM eServer 240s both of which came with the BackupExec CDs to
    install on them. Both servers are running NetWare 5.1 SP4. We have
    Adaptec's AIC-7891 SCSI boards on each. I do not see this board as a choice
    on the backup exec install and when I choose generic ASPI driver the program
    doesn't load. I get "The device driver load was unsuccessful." In the Job
    Manager Screen. Then some troubleshoot steps are offered. I tried those
    and no luck. Does anyone else have this problem or know how to go about
    fixing it? Any ideas? Is my SCSI card just not supported? Then why would
    it ship with the server? Any help anyone can give me is greatly
    appreciated! Thanks a lot!

  2. Re: Backup Exec 8.5, AIC-7891, and My Dream Of Backup

    Scott

    > We have Adaptec's AIC-7891 SCSI boards on each. I do not see this board
    > as a choice on the backup exec install and when I choose generic ASPI

    driver
    > the program doesn't load.

    > Is my SCSI card just not supported?

    It's not on the supported controllers list:
    http://support.veritas.com/dsl/lists...Product_BENWAR
    E.htm
    So the chances are it's not going to work with BE8.5 - sorry...

    > Then why would it ship with the server?

    Dunno - why would IBM/the reseller put it in there? Were the servers ordered
    with that card?

    Michael

  3. Re: Backup Exec 8.5, AIC-7891, and My Dream Of Backup

    Yes they came with the servers, there is nothing in the servers that did not
    come from IBM when they were purchased new.

    "Michael" wrote in message news:3d4ec1e0@hronntp01....
    > Scott
    >
    > > We have Adaptec's AIC-7891 SCSI boards on each. I do not see this board
    > > as a choice on the backup exec install and when I choose generic ASPI

    > driver
    > > the program doesn't load.

    > > Is my SCSI card just not supported?

    > It's not on the supported controllers list:

    http://support.veritas.com/dsl/lists...Product_BENWAR
    > E.htm
    > So the chances are it's not going to work with BE8.5 - sorry...
    >
    > > Then why would it ship with the server?

    > Dunno - why would IBM/the reseller put it in there? Were the servers

    ordered
    > with that card?
    >
    > Michael

  4. Re: Backup Exec 8.5, AIC-7891, and My Dream Of Backup

    Did you check with Adaptec for the latest SCSI drivers?

    --
    Michael A. McKenney
    mckennma@wideopenwest.com

    > > Scott
    > >
    > > > We have Adaptec's AIC-7891 SCSI boards on each. I do not see this

    board
    > > > as a choice on the backup exec install and when I choose generic ASPI

    > > driver
    > > > the program doesn't load.

    > > > Is my SCSI card just not supported?

    > > It's not on the supported controllers list:

    http://support.veritas.com/dsl/lists...Product_BENWAR
    > > E.htm
    > > So the chances are it's not going to work with BE8.5 - sorry...
    > >
    > > > Then why would it ship with the server?

    > > Dunno - why would IBM/the reseller put it in there? Were the servers

    > ordered
    > > with that card?
    > >
    > > Michael

  5. Re: Backup Exec 8.5, AIC-7891, and My Dream Of Backup

    > We have Adaptec's AIC-7891 SCSI boards on each.

    The AIC-7891 is an Onborad SCSI Chipset which is an OEM product from Adaptec
    for IBM and other board manufactuers! This product has only OEM support,
    which means IBM is your support contact & not Adaptec!

    Look at:
    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/all_download_drivers.html
    http://www.adaptec.com/products/datasheets/aic7890.html

    But a driver should exist for this product. I have been using Adaptec OEM's
    for 3 different servers and never had a problem!

    Should be similar to AHA-3940 or AHA-39160. I typical do my own plug & play.
    Not the best solution but it's the best I can provide! If all else fails
    buy a cheap AHA-2940 0r AHA-29160 and run the backup on that?

    Sorry for the bad news,
    KippH

  6. Re: Backup Exec 8.5, AIC-7891, and My Dream Of Backup

    Thanks for the help guys. After many hours on the phone with IBM and a slew
    of their server support techs, it was decided that the problem was actually
    the drive itself, more like the firmware on it. Since it was under
    warrenty, Mr. IBM Service Tech came out and swapped backup drives.

    > We have two IBM eServer 240s both of which came with the BackupExec CDs to
    > install on them. Both servers are running NetWare 5.1 SP4. We have
    > Adaptec's AIC-7891 SCSI boards on each. I do not see this board as a

    choice
    > on the backup exec install and when I choose generic ASPI driver the

    program
    > doesn't load. I get "The device driver load was unsuccessful." In the

    Job
    > Manager Screen. Then some troubleshoot steps are offered. I tried those
    > and no luck. Does anyone else have this problem or know how to go about
    > fixing it? Any ideas? Is my SCSI card just not supported? Then why

    would
    > it ship with the server? Any help anyone can give me is greatly
    > appreciated! Thanks a lot!

+ Reply to Thread