be9 nw6sp1+ install problems - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on be9 nw6sp1+ install problems - Veritas Backup Exec ; got latest be9 from web. When installing files to NW6 sp1 server I get file locked message on all "*.rra" files. What are rra files? I chose to ignore. THe files were copied. when i start be9 - surestart fails ...

  1. be9 nw6sp1+ install problems

    got latest be9 from web. When installing files to NW6 sp1 server I get file
    locked message on all "*.rra" files. What are rra files? I chose to ignore.
    THe files were copied. when i start be9 - surestart fails error 1006 loading
    ndmpd.nlm If i try to manually load ndmpd.nlm netware gives the OK message
    but the nlm does not appear in the list of loaded modules.
    Help please!!??

  2. Re: be9 nw6sp1+ install problems

    Are you using some antivirus /database on your NW server. I would say that
    you shutdown such type of applications on NW server before installing BE.
    Try a fresh install by deleting the whole BE 9.0 directory. Also check
    whether you are running any application on your Windows m/c from where you
    are trying to run install. It might be having some application which may be
    preventing install to push it on the NW server.
    Regarding the second problem it might happem that your ndmpd.nlm was not at
    all copied to the Nw server in the path sys:\bkupexec\nlms
    Check this out. If you can provide more steps for the second problem it
    would help.
    newbie
    "Steve Fraser" wrote in message

    > got latest be9 from web. When installing files to NW6 sp1 server I get

    file
    > locked message on all "*.rra" files. What are rra files? I chose to

    ignore.
    > THe files were copied. when i start be9 - surestart fails error 1006

    > ndmpd.nlm If i try to manually load ndmpd.nlm netware gives the OK

    message
    > but the nlm does not appear in the list of loaded modules.
    > Help please!!??

  3. Re: be9 nw6sp1+ install problems

    We're not alone!!

    Your installation didn't rename/copy one of the temporary *.RRA files and
    the culprit is BENDMPD.RES.

    I had the same problem. Some of the *.RRA files are copied to their
    appropriate names, but one is not... its BENDMPD.RES. I went through weeks
    of e-mail support with Veritas (don't bother, its useless to explain to them
    what is happening).

    We disabled NetShield, both on the workstation and the server (which should
    be standard procedure with Backup Exec because of the file corruption that
    ensues if you don't). Still, the same problem. Four different cluster
    servers (3+ nodes each)...even another stand-alone server...SAME THING!
    Veritas support says "they've never heard of it."

    However, if we moved to another workstation, with VirusShield running, et.
    al., the installation worked fine. So its not a A/V issue, there is
    something on our workstations that is keeping the temporary installation
    files from being removed after they are copied or renamed?

    Anyway, my suggestion: go to another workstation and re-install. We ended
    up copying the older BENDMPD.RES file from another installation, and that
    worked...but to be safe, I wouldn't recommend that as they files are
    different.

    Kevin

    > got latest be9 from web. When installing files to NW6 sp1 server I get

    file
    > locked message on all "*.rra" files. What are rra files? I chose to

    ignore.
    > THe files were copied. when i start be9 - surestart fails error 1006

    > ndmpd.nlm If i try to manually load ndmpd.nlm netware gives the OK

    message
    > but the nlm does not appear in the list of loaded modules.
    > Help please!!??

  4. Re: be9 nw6sp1+ install problems

    By the way, just downloaded build 4172 and no installation problems...using
    the SAME workstation, same w/s config, same server, etc.

    Kevin

    "Kevin" wrote in message
    > We're not alone!!
    >
    > Your installation didn't rename/copy one of the temporary *.RRA files and
    > the culprit is BENDMPD.RES.
    >
    > I had the same problem. Some of the *.RRA files are copied to their
    > appropriate names, but one is not... its BENDMPD.RES. I went through

    weeks
    > of e-mail support with Veritas (don't bother, its useless to explain to

    them
    > what is happening).
    >
    > We disabled NetShield, both on the workstation and the server (which

    should
    > be standard procedure with Backup Exec because of the file corruption that
    > ensues if you don't). Still, the same problem. Four different cluster
    > servers (3+ nodes each)...even another stand-alone server...SAME THING!
    > Veritas support says "they've never heard of it."
    >
    > However, if we moved to another workstation, with VirusShield running, et.
    > al., the installation worked fine. So its not a A/V issue, there is
    > something on our workstations that is keeping the temporary installation
    > files from being removed after they are copied or renamed?
    >
    > Anyway, my suggestion: go to another workstation and re-install. We ended
    > up copying the older BENDMPD.RES file from another installation, and that
    > worked...but to be safe, I wouldn't recommend that as they files are
    > different.
    >
    > Kevin
    >

    > "Steve Fraser" wrote in message
    > >
    > > got latest be9 from web. When installing files to NW6 sp1 server I get

    > file
    > > locked message on all "*.rra" files. What are rra files? I chose to

    > ignore.
    > > THe files were copied. when i start be9 - surestart fails error 1006

    > > ndmpd.nlm If i try to manually load ndmpd.nlm netware gives the OK

    > message
    > > but the nlm does not appear in the list of loaded modules.
    > > Help please!!??

  5. Re: be9 nw6sp1+ install problems

    thanks for your help - i'll try your suggestions
    likewise Veritas "support" was useless!

    "Kevin" wrote:
    >By the way, just downloaded build 4172 and no installation problems...using
    >the SAME workstation, same w/s config, same server, etc.
    >
    >Kevin
    >
    >"Kevin" wrote in message
    >> We're not alone!!
    >>
    >> Your installation didn't rename/copy one of the temporary *.RRA files

    and
    >> the culprit is BENDMPD.RES.
    >>
    >> I had the same problem. Some of the *.RRA files are copied to their
    >> appropriate names, but one is not... its BENDMPD.RES. I went through

    >weeks
    >> of e-mail support with Veritas (don't bother, its useless to explain to

    >them
    >> what is happening).
    >>
    >> We disabled NetShield, both on the workstation and the server (which

    >should
    >> be standard procedure with Backup Exec because of the file corruption

    that
    >> ensues if you don't). Still, the same problem. Four different cluster
    >> servers (3+ nodes each)...even another stand-alone server...SAME THING!
    >> Veritas support says "they've never heard of it."
    >>
    >> However, if we moved to another workstation, with VirusShield running,

    et.
    >> al., the installation worked fine. So its not a A/V issue, there is
    >> something on our workstations that is keeping the temporary installation
    >> files from being removed after they are copied or renamed?
    >>
    >> Anyway, my suggestion: go to another workstation and re-install. We ended
    >> up copying the older BENDMPD.RES file from another installation, and that
    >> worked...but to be safe, I wouldn't recommend that as they files are
    >> different.
    >>
    >> Kevin
    >>

    >> "Steve Fraser" wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > got latest be9 from web. When installing files to NW6 sp1 server I get

    >> file
    >> > locked message on all "*.rra" files. What are rra files? I chose to

    >> ignore.
    >> > THe files were copied. when i start be9 - surestart fails error 1006

    >> > ndmpd.nlm If i try to manually load ndmpd.nlm netware gives the OK

    >> message
    >> > but the nlm does not appear in the list of loaded modules.
    >> > Help please!!??

  6. Re: be9 nw6sp1+ install problems

    I've tested this on four cluster servers installs, with NetShield intact on
    both the workstation and the server, and build 4172 definitely installs
    without errors, and the missing BE*.RES files are correct.

    It seems like the more we pay for support, the worst support gets. We
    finally devised our own solution for installing Veritas onto a cluster to
    make it available as a cluster resource, so its not "supported" by them, and
    thus we never bothered calling them further on this.

    However, we had the same problem on our standalone NW6 servers until build
    4172. Their response was "install from a different workstation." which we
    already tried. It also seems build 4172 fixed a "never admitted" problem
    with file restores via redirection.

    Kevin

    > thanks for your help - i'll try your suggestions
    > likewise Veritas "support" was useless!
    >
    > "Kevin" wrote:
    > >By the way, just downloaded build 4172 and no installation

    problems...using
    > >the SAME workstation, same w/s config, same server, etc.
    > >
    > >Kevin
    > >
    > >"Kevin" wrote in message
    > >> We're not alone!!
    > >>
    > >> Your installation didn't rename/copy one of the temporary *.RRA files

    > and
    > >> the culprit is BENDMPD.RES.
    > >>
    > >> I had the same problem. Some of the *.RRA files are copied to their
    > >> appropriate names, but one is not... its BENDMPD.RES. I went through

    > >weeks
    > >> of e-mail support with Veritas (don't bother, its useless to explain to

    > >them
    > >> what is happening).
    > >>
    > >> We disabled NetShield, both on the workstation and the server (which

    > >should
    > >> be standard procedure with Backup Exec because of the file corruption

    > that
    > >> ensues if you don't). Still, the same problem. Four different cluster
    > >> servers (3+ nodes each)...even another stand-alone server...SAME THING!
    > >> Veritas support says "they've never heard of it."
    > >>
    > >> However, if we moved to another workstation, with VirusShield running,

    > et.
    > >> al., the installation worked fine. So its not a A/V issue, there is
    > >> something on our workstations that is keeping the temporary

    installation
    > >> files from being removed after they are copied or renamed?
    > >>
    > >> Anyway, my suggestion: go to another workstation and re-install. We

    ended
    > >> up copying the older BENDMPD.RES file from another installation, and

    that
    > >> worked...but to be safe, I wouldn't recommend that as they files are
    > >> different.
    > >>
    > >> Kevin
    > >>

    > >> "Steve Fraser" wrote in message

    get
    > >> file
    > >> ignore.
    > >> message

  7. Re: be9 nw6sp1+ install problems

    thanks for your suggestion
    I installed from a vanilla w95 box -no antivirus, etc - install went flawlessly
    got error 1056 on bestart initialization error
    deleted bupexec/MM folder and restarted (bestart)
    everything working fine now
    thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread