modify selection list - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on modify selection list - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi all, I would like to know if I can actually edit my selection list file on a text editor rather than doing the modification using the windows admin console. There are around 50 pc running the backup agents. They ...

  1. modify selection list

    Hi all,

    I would like to know if I can actually edit my selection list file on a text
    editor rather than doing the modification using the windows admin console.

    There are around 50 pc running the backup agents. They are combination of
    win98, w2k and nt. If I want to do modification on the list, I have to make
    sure that particular pc being turn on. Otherwise, the admin console will not
    be able to locate the PC and I can not make change. This problem didn't
    happen on version 8.5 as the list will always be the same if the machine is
    not on.

    Thanks in advance

    Keith

  2. Re: modify selection list

    Keith

    > I would like to know if I can actually edit my selection list file on a

    text
    > editor rather than doing the modification using the windows admin console.

    That shouldn't be a problem - the job files should be contained in the
    SYS:BKUPEXEC\JOBDATA directory, just open them up with
    wordpad/notepad/EDIT.NLM

    Michael

  3. Re: modify selection list

    Thanks Michael,

    I can't quite follow the pattern of the files. Do you know if there is any
    doc. for editing these files.

    Keith
    "Michael" wrote in message
    > Keith
    >
    > > I would like to know if I can actually edit my selection list file on a

    > text
    > > editor rather than doing the modification using the windows admin

    console.

    > That shouldn't be a problem - the job files should be contained in the
    > SYS:BKUPEXEC\JOBDATA directory, just open them up with
    > wordpad/notepad/EDIT.NLM
    >
    > Michael

  4. Re: modify selection list

    Keith

    > I can't quite follow the pattern of the files. Do you know if there is any
    > doc. for editing these files.

    I don't think there is a document published, but I would guess that the
    lines that actually deal with the selections are the ones marked
    "++[SERVERNAME].Novell Directory:\*.*" /SUBDIR
    "++[SERVERNAME].NetWare File System:\*.*" /SUBDIR

    The /OS_TYPE, /OS_SUBTYPE and /USERNAME lines are for the OS, any agents,
    and the username entry in the password database that's used for the job. I'd
    think if you're deleting selections, then you'd have to delete the
    corresponding /OS_TYPE, etc lines as well as the selections.

    Michael

  5. Re: modify selection list

    Thanks Michael,

    I will give it a try.

    Keith
    "Michael" wrote in message
    > Keith
    >
    > > I can't quite follow the pattern of the files. Do you know if there is

    any
    > > doc. for editing these files.

    > I don't think there is a document published, but I would guess that the
    > lines that actually deal with the selections are the ones marked
    > "++[SERVERNAME].Novell Directory:\*.*" /SUBDIR
    > "++[SERVERNAME].NetWare File System:\*.*" /SUBDIR
    >
    > The /OS_TYPE, /OS_SUBTYPE and /USERNAME lines are for the OS, any agents,
    > and the username entry in the password database that's used for the job.

    I'd
    > think if you're deleting selections, then you'd have to delete the
    > corresponding /OS_TYPE, etc lines as well as the selections.
    >
    > Michael

  6. Re: modify selection list

    Keith

    > Thanks Michael,