Pre/Post options in BE9 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Pre/Post options in BE9 - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm having a problem with BE9 and Norton Anti-Virus 7.5 Corp. edition on my Novell 5.0 server. When I do a full system backup BE stalls during the verify operation. It looks like if I stop NAV it works fine ...

  1. Pre/Post options in BE9

    I'm having a problem with BE9 and Norton Anti-Virus 7.5 Corp. edition on my
    Novell 5.0 server. When I do a full system backup BE stalls during the
    verify operation. It looks like if I stop NAV it works fine and I'm
    wondering how I can have BE stop NAV before the backup runs and then restart
    it after.

    Restarting it isn't a problem but I can't seem to find any information on
    how to stop NAV other than issueing an ALT-F10 from the console and then
    typing in a password. Does anyone know how to setup BE to stop NAV
    automatically?

    Thanks in advance for any help in this matter,
    Linn

    --
    Please remove the number two from domain name for email.

  2. Re: Pre/Post options in BE9

    use preopen.ncf to close NAV, and postclse.ncf to start NAV.

    "Linn Kubler" wrote in message
    > I'm having a problem with BE9 and Norton Anti-Virus 7.5 Corp. edition on

    my
    > Novell 5.0 server. When I do a full system backup BE stalls during the
    > verify operation. It looks like if I stop NAV it works fine and I'm
    > wondering how I can have BE stop NAV before the backup runs and then

    restart
    > it after.
    >
    > Restarting it isn't a problem but I can't seem to find any information on
    > how to stop NAV other than issueing an ALT-F10 from the console and then
    > typing in a password. Does anyone know how to setup BE to stop NAV
    > automatically?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help in this matter,
    > Linn
    >
    > --
    > Please remove the number two from domain name for email.

  3. Re: Pre/Post options in BE9

    Ok, but do you know what to put in the preopen.ncf file to stop NAV? I
    still haven't found a command line close option for NAV. And I can't seem
    to locate at tech support news group or listserve for it either. Guess I
    should breakdown and contact them directly.

    Thanks for responding,
    Linn

    "acme" wrote in message news:3d456922@hronntp01....
    > use preopen.ncf to close NAV, and postclse.ncf to start NAV.
    >
    > "Linn Kubler" wrote in message
    > > I'm having a problem with BE9 and Norton Anti-Virus 7.5 Corp. edition on

    > my
    > > Novell 5.0 server. When I do a full system backup BE stalls during the
    > > verify operation. It looks like if I stop NAV it works fine and I'm
    > > wondering how I can have BE stop NAV before the backup runs and then

    > restart
    > > it after.
    > >
    > > Restarting it isn't a problem but I can't seem to find any information

    on
    > > how to stop NAV other than issueing an ALT-F10 from the console and then
    > > typing in a password. Does anyone know how to setup BE to stop NAV
    > > automatically?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for any help in this matter,
    > > Linn

  4. Re: Pre/Post options in BE9

    Sorry I don't use NAV, I use Mcafee Netshield.
    You may have do some detective work, by look at the autoexec.ncf to see
    which module is NAV load.

    > Ok, but do you know what to put in the preopen.ncf file to stop NAV? I
    > still haven't found a command line close option for NAV. And I can't seem
    > to locate at tech support news group or listserve for it either. Guess I
    > should breakdown and contact them directly.
    >
    > Thanks for responding,
    > Linn
    >
    > "acme" wrote in message news:3d456922@hronntp01....
    > > use preopen.ncf to close NAV, and postclse.ncf to start NAV.
    > >
    > > "Linn Kubler" wrote in message
    > > > I'm having a problem with BE9 and Norton Anti-Virus 7.5 Corp. edition

    on
    > > my
    > > > Novell 5.0 server. When I do a full system backup BE stalls during

    the
    > > > verify operation. It looks like if I stop NAV it works fine and I'm
    > > > wondering how I can have BE stop NAV before the backup runs and then

    > > restart
    > > > it after.
    > > >
    > > > Restarting it isn't a problem but I can't seem to find any information

    > on
    > > > how to stop NAV other than issueing an ALT-F10 from the console and

    then
    > > > typing in a password. Does anyone know how to setup BE to stop NAV
    > > > automatically?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance for any help in this matter,
    > > > Linn

  5. Re: Pre/Post options in BE9

    The only way to stop NAV (that I'm aware of) is through STUFFKEY. You can't
    unload it by unloading an NLM. Get Stuffkey from
    http://support.novell.com/servlet/tidfinder/2948742.

    todd

    > Ok, but do you know what to put in the preopen.ncf file to stop NAV? I
    > still haven't found a command line close option for NAV. And I can't seem
    > to locate at tech support news group or listserve for it either. Guess I
    > should breakdown and contact them directly.
    >
    > Thanks for responding,
    > Linn
    >
    > "acme" wrote in message news:3d456922@hronntp01....
    > > use preopen.ncf to close NAV, and postclse.ncf to start NAV.
    > >
    > > "Linn Kubler" wrote in message
    > > > I'm having a problem with BE9 and Norton Anti-Virus 7.5 Corp. edition

    on
    > > my
    > > > Novell 5.0 server. When I do a full system backup BE stalls during

    the
    > > > verify operation. It looks like if I stop NAV it works fine and I'm
    > > > wondering how I can have BE stop NAV before the backup runs and then

    > > restart
    > > > it after.
    > > >
    > > > Restarting it isn't a problem but I can't seem to find any information

    > on
    > > > how to stop NAV other than issueing an ALT-F10 from the console and

    then
    > > > typing in a password. Does anyone know how to setup BE to stop NAV
    > > > automatically?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance for any help in this matter,
    > > > Linn

  6. Re: Pre/Post options in BE9

    Todd,

    Thanks, looks like that worked great. Cool little utility.

    And thanks all who replied,
    Linn

    > > > use preopen.ncf to close NAV, and postclse.ncf to start NAV.
    > > >
    > > > "Linn Kubler" wrote in message

    edition
    > on
    > > > my