BENW on an IP-only server? Help - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BENW on an IP-only server? Help - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm working for a rural school district, and we just got new layer 3 switches for each building in a 5-building campus. We set up an IP-only network on the switches, wiped and reinstalled NetWare 6 as IP-only on the ...

  1. BENW on an IP-only server? Help

    I'm working for a rural school district, and we just got new layer 3
    switches for each building in a 5-building campus. We set up an IP-only
    network on the switches, wiped and reinstalled NetWare 6 as IP-only on the
    server in each building (it's summer). When we went to install Backup Exec,
    we discovered it needed SPXS.NLM to communicate.
    Reconfiguring all the switches to route IPX will be a major headache,
    plus it will unwanted traffic and complexity.
    Isn't there some way to configure BENW to work with IP only? I know
    BENT/2000 doesn't require SPX. We have the Enterprise version of BENW 8.5.
    Thanks.

  2. Re: BENW on an IP-only server? Help

    As far as I know, BENW 9.0 is a purely IP based solution with remote
    management administration console. Why don't you go for it.
    "Darrell" wrote in message news:3d20c2e2@hronntp01....
    > I'm working for a rural school district, and we just got new layer 3
    > switches for each building in a 5-building campus. We set up an IP-only
    > network on the switches, wiped and reinstalled NetWare 6 as IP-only on the
    > server in each building (it's summer). When we went to install Backup

    Exec,
    > we discovered it needed SPXS.NLM to communicate.
    > Reconfiguring all the switches to route IPX will be a major headache,
    > plus it will unwanted traffic and complexity.
    > Isn't there some way to configure BENW to work with IP only? I know
    > BENT/2000 doesn't require SPX. We have the Enterprise version of BENW

    8.5.
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: BENW on an IP-only server? Help

    Darrell

    >When we went to install Backup Exec, we discovered it needed
    > SPXS.NLM to communicate.
    >Reconfiguring all the switches to route IPX will be a major headache,
    > plus it will unwanted traffic and complexity.
    >Isn't there some way to configure BENW to work with IP only? I know
    > BENT/2000 doesn't require SPX. We have the Enterprise version of
    > BENW 8.5.

    See: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/246144.htm
    IPX doesn't need to be bound to a NIC, just enabled on the server.

    Michael

+ Reply to Thread