end of media reached - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on end of media reached - Veritas Backup Exec ; Just got off the phone with Veritas support; I had called because our backups ended last night with the message "End of media reached. Load next media." There is 9.2 GB space remaining on this tape, but its status has ...

  1. end of media reached

    Just got off the phone with Veritas support; I had called because our backups
    ended last night with the message "End of media reached. Load next media."
    There is 9.2 GB space remaining on this tape, but its status has been changed
    to Unappendable.

    Technician told me that the media settings regarding overwrite and appendable
    periods MUST BE SET ON THE NETWARE SERVER, that using the Java console from
    a workstation will not be recognized.

    Thought I'd share this since it was the first I'd heard of it.

  2. Re: end of media reached

    Hi Jane, thank you very much for posting this! I'm trying to find an answer
    to the same problem where the backup was requesting another media, but wasn't
    having any luck. I'll try your fix, and might also try to set a timeout
    on the prompt and see what happens.

    Cheers,
    Tianae

    "Jane Morris" <1tempi@excite.com> wrote:

    >Just got off the phone with Veritas support; I had called because our backups
    >ended last night with the message "End of media reached. Load next media."
    >There is 9.2 GB space remaining on this tape, but its status has been changed
    >to Unappendable.
    >
    >Technician told me that the media settings regarding overwrite and appendable
    >periods MUST BE SET ON THE NETWARE SERVER, that using the Java console from
    >a workstation will not be recognized.
    >
    >Thought I'd share this since it was the first I'd heard of it.

  3. Re: end of media reached

    This is a good rule of thumb. I don't trust the JAVA GUI. I used it to try
    and deselect the license objects in the NDS selections of my backup since
    they kept causing the job to end in error becasue these objects can't be
    backed up. After I'd go throug the whole tree and deselect all the license
    objects I would exit the GUI and open it back up again and check the selections.
    Some license objects would be deselected and some would still stay selected.
    It was very frustrating. I basically scrapped the job and did all the selections
    from the server console and everything ran as planned. I now only do what
    I absolutely have to in the JAVA GUI.

    "Tianae" wrote:

    >Hi Jane, thank you very much for posting this! I'm trying to find an answer
    >to the same problem where the backup was requesting another media, but wasn't
    >having any luck. I'll try your fix, and might also try to set a timeout
    >on the prompt and see what happens.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Tianae
    >

    >"Jane Morris" <1tempi@excite.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>Just got off the phone with Veritas support; I had called because our backups
    >>ended last night with the message "End of media reached. Load next media."
    >>There is 9.2 GB space remaining on this tape, but its status has been changed
    >>to Unappendable.
    >>
    >>Technician told me that the media settings regarding overwrite and appendable
    >>periods MUST BE SET ON THE NETWARE SERVER, that using the Java console

    from
    >>a workstation will not be recognized.
    >>
    >>Thought I'd share this since it was the first I'd heard of it.

+ Reply to Thread