BE 8.0, NW4.11 and a new Quantum DLT 8000 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE 8.0, NW4.11 and a new Quantum DLT 8000 - Veritas Backup Exec ; I've been working on upgraded hardware for summer (after a new fiscal year, of course), but as Murphy's law would have it, my Back Up drive (HP dat Autoloader) died prematurely. Since my plans included upgrading BE, NetWare and hardware, ...

  1. BE 8.0, NW4.11 and a new Quantum DLT 8000

    I've been working on upgraded hardware for summer (after a new fiscal year,
    of course), but as Murphy's law would have it, my Back Up drive (HP dat Autoloader)
    died prematurely.

    Since my plans included upgrading BE, NetWare and hardware, I looked at compatibility
    lists for the best drive I could get that were on both 8.0 and 9.0 lists.
    I came up with the Quantum DLT 8000.

    I'm attaching it to an Adaptec 2940UW SCSI card. The same card I had the
    HP Autoloader on. Although there is another SCSI controller on the motherboard
    of this server, this is the only device on this controller.

    The BIOS startup and DOS both clearly show the drive. BEDIAG /S /C shows
    the drive as well. When I load BKUPEXEC, however, I get the message, "The
    device driver load was unsuccessful."

    I've tried tweaking the SCSI settings, setting termination to low on/high
    on, turning off sync and wide negotiations. All in small increments so I've
    tested various combinations.

    Obvioulsy, things are getting desperate. That's the nature of back ups...
    Any thoughts and ideas at this point would be most welcome. THanks in advance.

    Lynnette Ponton
    Network Manager
    UW-Milwaukee Libraries
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    lmp@gml.lib.uwm.edu

  2. Re: BE 8.0, NW4.11 and a new Quantum DLT 8000 SOLVED

    Turns out spending the $89 for a single incident support call got me the latest
    version of the software I thought I was already running. Newer drives like
    the DLT8000
    may need a newer revision. So, although I checked the compatibility list
    for 8.0 when buying a new drive, I didn't realize I needed to make a call
    and get a newer build of that version. 8.0 isn't really 8.0 I guess.

    "Lynnette Ponton" wrote:

    >I've been working on upgraded hardware for summer (after a new fiscal year,
    >of course), but as Murphy's law would have it, my Back Up drive (HP dat

    Autoloader)
    >died prematurely.
    >
    >Since my plans included upgrading BE, NetWare and hardware, I looked at

    compatibility
    >lists for the best drive I could get that were on both 8.0 and 9.0 lists.
    > I came up with the Quantum DLT 8000.
    >
    >I'm attaching it to an Adaptec 2940UW SCSI card. The same card I had the
    >HP Autoloader on. Although there is another SCSI controller on the motherboard
    >of this server, this is the only device on this controller.
    >
    >The BIOS startup and DOS both clearly show the drive. BEDIAG /S /C shows
    >the drive as well. When I load BKUPEXEC, however, I get the message, "The
    >device driver load was unsuccessful."
    >
    >I've tried tweaking the SCSI settings, setting termination to low on/high
    >on, turning off sync and wide negotiations. All in small increments so

    I've
    >tested various combinations.
    >
    >Obvioulsy, things are getting desperate. That's the nature of back ups...
    > Any thoughts and ideas at this point would be most welcome. THanks in

    advance.

    >Lynnette Ponton
    >Network Manager
    >UW-Milwaukee Libraries