Installing BE 9 on server with no NDS replicq - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Installing BE 9 on server with no NDS replicq - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi all. I am trying to install BackupExec 9 Trial on a NetWare 5.1 SP4 server, whichis the fourth server in our network, hence has no NDS replica on it. I get an error when I run BESTART at the ...

  1. Installing BE 9 on server with no NDS replicq

    Hi all.

    I am trying to install BackupExec 9 Trial on a NetWare 5.1 SP4 server, whichis
    the fourth server in our network, hence has no NDS replica on it.

    I get an error when I run BESTART at the server console stating that the
    'NDS schema cannot be extended. Unable to create BackupExec user'.

    Could this be because the server has no NDS replica on it ? Does BE NEED
    a working NDS replica on the server it is installed to ?

    ArcServe 7 installed fine (including NDS objects) on the same server, but
    is so buggy and unstable that it is impossible to do a good backup with it.
    Ofcourse ArcServe was stopped and I rebooted the server prior to installing
    BE on it.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Arjan.

  2. Re: Installing BE 9 on server with no NDS replicq

    Arjan

    > I get an error when I run BESTART at the server console stating that the
    > 'NDS schema cannot be extended. Unable to create BackupExec user'.

    Have you got Supervisor rights to the [Root] of the tree? That's essential.

    > Could this be because the server has no NDS replica on it ? Does BE NEED
    > a working NDS replica on the server it is installed to ?

    No, but sometimes it might help

    Michael

  3. Re: Installing BE 9 on server with no NDS replicq

    "Michael" wrote:
    >Arjan
    >Have you got Supervisor rights to the [Root] of the tree? That's essential.

    Yes, I used the Admin login name and specified that name also when BESTART
    asked for an username and password.

    >> Could this be because the server has no NDS replica on it ? Does BE NEED
    >> a working NDS replica on the server it is installed to ?

    >No, but sometimes it might help

    ?

  4. Re: Installing BE 9 on server with no NDS replica

    I now notioce that when I choose the server I want to install BE to, I cannot
    select 'user name' or 'password' field, they are both greyed out.

    On a test server with a NDS on it, this posed no problem though, as BESTART
    prompted me for an user name and password when I first started it.

    Tell me, WHEN does the NDS schema needs updating ? Is that wne I install
    BE via the workstation to the server or is it updated when one runs the BESTART
    for the first time ?

  5. Re: Installing BE 9 on server with no NDS replicq

    Arjan

    > Yes, I used the Admin login name and specified that name also when BESTART
    > asked for an username and password.

    Ok, try granting explicit [SBCDRI] object rights to the root and also to
    the container in which the server resides, and reinstall.

    > ?

    Well, replicas can help with the NDS communication - it's not a requirement
    with BE, but it could help the situation.

  6. Re: Installing BE 9 on server with no NDS replicq

    Tried it, it didn't help. FYI, this is the exact error message:

    Validating NDS environment
    Preparing to extend the directory schema
    AddAttrToNCPServer: NWDSModifyClassDef -- <-659>.
    Unable to extend the NDS Schema
    Login as user with Supervisor rights to [Root] object
    of NDS tree to extend Schema
    Unable to initialize the Backup Exec server account

    Thanks for your help so far !

  7. Solved!

    The problem was solved by starting NWAdmin32 from the server I installed BE
    on, select BE Utilities from the drop down menu, and then selecting 'Extend
    Schema'. After waiting a few minutes to let the change synchronize through
    the NDS, I was able to start BE on the server, it created a queue and so
    forth.

    Michael, thanks for your time and help ! I hope someone else finds this information
    useful.

  8. Re: Solved!

    Arjan

    > The problem was solved by starting NWAdmin32 from the server I installed

    BE
    > on, select BE Utilities from the drop down menu, and then selecting

    'Extend
    > Schema'. After waiting a few minutes to let the change synchronize through
    > the NDS, I was able to start BE on the server, it created a queue and so
    > forth.

    Excellent!

    > Michael, thanks for your time and help ! I hope someone else finds this

    information
    > useful.

    No problem - I was just drafting a reply when I saw this one come in :-)

    Michael

+ Reply to Thread