Translation errors, trying to restore 8.5 tapes on 9.0 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Translation errors, trying to restore 8.5 tapes on 9.0 - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm trying to restore tapes created on BE 8.5 now that I've upgraded to 9.0 (Netware 6 sp1, same hardware), and I get a Translation error alert. I've tried a few tape sets, and I can't get the data. This ...

  1. Translation errors, trying to restore 8.5 tapes on 9.0

    I'm trying to restore tapes created on BE 8.5 now that I've upgraded to
    9.0 (Netware 6 sp1, same hardware), and I get a Translation error
    alert. I've tried a few tape sets, and I can't get the data. This is
    to say the least, a huge problem. Suggestions?

    Patrick

  2. Re: Translation errors, trying to restore 8.5 tapes on 9.0

    Patrick

    > I'm trying to restore tapes created on BE 8.5 now that I've upgraded to
    > 9.0 (Netware 6 sp1, same hardware), and I get a Translation error
    > alert. I've tried a few tape sets, and I can't get the data. This is
    > to say the least, a huge problem. Suggestions?

    Turn off Fast File Access in besrvr.cfg. The line's near the bottom:
    Use_Fast_File_Access = 1, change this to = 0

    Michael

  3. Re: Translation errors, trying to restore 8.5 tapes on 9.0

    I found that in an 8.5 faq. That works however I still can't restore
    anything it just sits there forever reading the tape, or it'll ask me to
    import the media in the slot, yet attempting to do so says the media is
    already imported.

    Patrick

    Michael wrote:

    > Patrick
    >
    > > I'm trying to restore tapes created on BE 8.5 now that I've upgraded to
    > > 9.0 (Netware 6 sp1, same hardware), and I get a Translation error
    > > alert. I've tried a few tape sets, and I can't get the data. This is
    > > to say the least, a huge problem. Suggestions?

    > Turn off Fast File Access in besrvr.cfg. The line's near the bottom:
    > Use_Fast_File_Access = 1, change this to = 0
    >
    > Michael

  4. Re: Translation errors, trying to restore 8.5 tapes on 9.0

    What kind of tape drive? I have the same problem. It does
    not appear on 8.5 as a problem for me but does on 9.0.
    I am using a dlt tape drive. If you use the resolution that
    is recommended it will restore somewhat but very slowly.
    This is really frustrating now and the posts I have read
    all apply to dlt drives.

    "Patrick Farrell" wrote in message
    > I'm trying to restore tapes created on BE 8.5 now that I've upgraded to
    > 9.0 (Netware 6 sp1, same hardware), and I get a Translation error
    > alert. I've tried a few tape sets, and I can't get the data. This is
    > to say the least, a huge problem. Suggestions?
    >
    > Patrick

  5. Re: Translation errors, trying to restore 8.5 tapes on 9.0

    Patrick

    > I found that in an 8.5 faq. That works however I still can't restore
    > anything it just sits there forever reading the tape, or it'll ask me to
    > import the media in the slot, yet attempting to do so says the media is
    > already imported.

    Very strange. I don't know of any other way to resolve that one, sorry....

    Michael

  6. Re: Translation errors, trying to restore 8.5 tapes on 9.0

    We are trying to get Tandberg SL5 tape devices working on v9.0; they work
    OK on v8.5. Appears that BE v9 has changed the default block sizes, this
    may be causing your issue. The block size is defined under the partition
    management

    Geoffrey Mills

    --
    DataSure Management Systems Limited Fax: +64 9 3066030
    Auckland, New Zealand Tel: +64 9 3098540

  7. Re: Translation errors, trying to restore 8.5 tapes on 9.0

    AIT-2... I've just reinstalled and re-setup everything.

    We'll see what happens.

    Rick Bousquet wrote:

    > What kind of tape drive? I have the same problem. It does
    > not appear on 8.5 as a problem for me but does on 9.0.
    > I am using a dlt tape drive. If you use the resolution that
    > is recommended it will restore somewhat but very slowly.
    > This is really frustrating now and the posts I have read
    > all apply to dlt drives.
    >
    > "Patrick Farrell" wrote in message
    > > I'm trying to restore tapes created on BE 8.5 now that I've upgraded to
    > > 9.0 (Netware 6 sp1, same hardware), and I get a Translation error
    > > alert. I've tried a few tape sets, and I can't get the data. This is
    > > to say the least, a huge problem. Suggestions?
    > >
    > > Patrick

  8. Re: Translation errors, trying to restore 8.5 tapes on 9.0

    Do you happen to remember what the old block size was?

    Patrick

    Geoffrey Mills wrote:

    > We are trying to get Tandberg SL5 tape devices working on v9.0; they work
    > OK on v8.5. Appears that BE v9 has changed the default block sizes, this
    > may be causing your issue. The block size is defined under the partition
    > management
    >
    > Geoffrey Mills
    >
    > Patrick Farrell wrote:
    >
    > > I'm trying to restore tapes created on BE 8.5 now that I've upgraded to
    > > 9.0 (Netware 6 sp1, same hardware), and I get a Translation error
    > > alert. I've tried a few tape sets, and I can't get the data. This is
    > > to say the least, a huge problem. Suggestions?
    > >
    > > Patrick

    > --
    > DataSure Management Systems Limited Fax: +64 9 3066030
    > Auckland, New Zealand Tel: +64 9 3098540
    > http://www.datasure.co.nz Mail: gam@datasure.co.nz

  9. Re: Translation errors, trying to restore 8.5 tapes on 9.0

    Patrick

    > Do you happen to remember what the old block size was?

    BE9.0 used a minimum block size of 2k - it looks like these might have been
    using 512byte blocks...

    Michael

  10. Re: Translation errors, trying to restore 8.5 tapes on 9.0

    It appears that veritas has an unsupported beta patch
    for this problem. I have received it from them and
    restores work great now. You have to call them and they will
    send it to you.

    "Patrick Farrell" wrote in message
    > I'm trying to restore tapes created on BE 8.5 now that I've upgraded to
    > 9.0 (Netware 6 sp1, same hardware), and I get a Translation error
    > alert. I've tried a few tape sets, and I can't get the data. This is
    > to say the least, a huge problem. Suggestions?
    >
    > Patrick

+ Reply to Thread