Remote Backup Problems - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Remote Backup Problems - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I am trying to perform a Remote Backup (Backup Exec 8.5) of a server across a 2MB/s WAN connection. BEREMOTE.NLM is loaded on the server (Netware 4.11 , SP 9) When the backup job starts the connection to the ...

  1. Remote Backup Problems

    Hi,

    I am trying to perform a Remote Backup (Backup Exec 8.5) of a server across
    a 2MB/s WAN connection. BEREMOTE.NLM is loaded on the server (Netware 4.11
    , SP 9)

    When the backup job starts the connection to the Remote Agent Accelerator
    goes as planned. However, after a few Megabytes the job halts, the error
    log states that "the connection to device SERVERNAME has been lost"

    I loaded BEREMOTE with the debugger enabled and this showed (among other
    things) the following:

    -1 accept_call: t_open(dev/tcp)
    TCPListen: allocated T_call=cd7dd30

    -1 t_snd returned TLOOK, t_look()= 5
    t_getstate() = 5
    t_snddis() with
    t_snddis() returned TLOOK, t_look()=5
    NetSend(69632) SendBufferThread(2)
    Job Stop ......

    Furthermore I have been experimenting with varying amount of buffers and
    buffer sizes. Unfortunately with no effect.

    I tested the communication path with a series of PING test, but these showed
    a steady response time of 9 ms so the WAN link seems pretty reliable.

    Does anyone have a clue what could be the solution ?

    Thanks !

    Teddy

  2. Re: Remote Backup Problems

    Teddy

    > I am trying to perform a Remote Backup (Backup Exec 8.5)

    What build are you using (latest is 194.1)
    Are you using Open File Option?

    See: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/236365.htm

    Michael

  3. Re: Remote Backup Problems

    Michael,

    We are not using the OFO on this particular server. We are using Build 8.5.180
    (V180)which indeed isn't the latest version.

    Furthermore when I disable the "Use TCP if available" option the backup job,
    using SPX, does succeed but at a very disappointing speed of 1.6 MB / Minute.
    When I don't use the accelerator agent at all the performance increases a
    little to 2.6 MB / Minute which is still very slow.

    Kind regards,

    Teddy

    "Michael" wrote:
    >Teddy
    >
    >> I am trying to perform a Remote Backup (Backup Exec 8.5)

    >What build are you using (latest is 194.1)
    >Are you using Open File Option?
    >
    >See: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/236365.htm
    >
    >Michael

  4. Re: Remote Backup Problems

    "Michael" wrote:
    >Teddy
    >
    >> I am trying to perform a Remote Backup (Backup Exec 8.5)

    >What build are you using (latest is 194.1)
    >Are you using Open File Option?
    >
    >See: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/236365.htm
    >
    >Michael

  5. Re: Remote Backup Problems

    Teddy

    > We are not using the OFO on this particular server. We are using Build

    8.5.180
    > (V180)which indeed isn't the latest version.
    >
    > Furthermore when I disable the "Use TCP if available" option the backup

    job,
    > using SPX, does succeed but at a very disappointing speed of 1.6 MB /

    Minute.
    > When I don't use the accelerator agent at all the performance increases a
    > little to 2.6 MB / Minute which is still very slow.

    Hmmm, it very much sounds to me like a network problem - have a look at:

    and updating to the latest build may help

    Michael

+ Reply to Thread