backup's not working - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on backup's not working - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have a Compaq Proliant 1600 with an internal Compaq AIT 50 tape drive connected to the interal scsi controller. I have BackupExec 8.5 installed and patch to the latest patch off of Veritas's website. Here's my problem: When the ...

  1. backup's not working

    I have a Compaq Proliant 1600 with an internal Compaq AIT 50 tape drive
    connected to the interal scsi controller.

    I have BackupExec 8.5 installed and patch to the latest patch off of
    Veritas's website.

    Here's my problem:

    When the job starts to run it will backup about 300mb to the tape and then
    it errors out, saying a bad tape or dirty tape drive.

    I have run a cleaning tape in the drive 5 times. I have called Compaq and
    troubleshot the drive using TSMC and the drive passes all tests.

    What would be causes the jobs to fail every time????????
    --
    -- Leland

  2. Re: backup's not working

    try another tape, maybe that will work.
    "Leland Albro" wrote in message
    > I have a Compaq Proliant 1600 with an internal Compaq AIT 50 tape drive
    > connected to the interal scsi controller.
    >
    > I have BackupExec 8.5 installed and patch to the latest patch off of
    > Veritas's website.
    >
    > Here's my problem:
    >
    > When the job starts to run it will backup about 300mb to the tape and then
    > it errors out, saying a bad tape or dirty tape drive.
    >
    > I have run a cleaning tape in the drive 5 times. I have called Compaq and
    > troubleshot the drive using TSMC and the drive passes all tests.
    >
    > What would be causes the jobs to fail every time????????
    > --
    > -- Leland

  3. Re: backup's not working

    I have tried 5 different tapes and none of them worked.

    Also, once I get that message the tape won't eject out of the drive until I
    totally shutdown the server and reboot it.

    "amyb" wrote in message news:3ccd496b$1@hronntp01....
    > try another tape, maybe that will work.
    > "Leland Albro" wrote in message
    > > I have a Compaq Proliant 1600 with an internal Compaq AIT 50 tape drive
    > > connected to the interal scsi controller.
    > >
    > > I have BackupExec 8.5 installed and patch to the latest patch off of
    > > Veritas's website.
    > >
    > > Here's my problem:
    > >
    > > When the job starts to run it will backup about 300mb to the tape and

    then
    > > it errors out, saying a bad tape or dirty tape drive.
    > >
    > > I have run a cleaning tape in the drive 5 times. I have called Compaq

    and
    > > troubleshot the drive using TSMC and the drive passes all tests.
    > >
    > > What would be causes the jobs to fail every time????????
    > > --
    > > -- Leland

  4. Re: backup's not working

    Yikes. Is everything updated (drivers etc)?
    When did this start occurring? Before you updated 8.5?

    > > try another tape, maybe that will work.
    > > "Leland Albro" wrote in message
    > > > I have a Compaq Proliant 1600 with an internal Compaq AIT 50 tape

    drive
    > > > connected to the interal scsi controller.
    > > >
    > > > I have BackupExec 8.5 installed and patch to the latest patch off of
    > > > Veritas's website.
    > > >
    > > > Here's my problem:
    > > >
    > > > When the job starts to run it will backup about 300mb to the tape and

    > then
    > > > it errors out, saying a bad tape or dirty tape drive.
    > > >
    > > > I have run a cleaning tape in the drive 5 times. I have called Compaq

    > and
    > > > troubleshot the drive using TSMC and the drive passes all tests.
    > > >
    > > > What would be causes the jobs to fail every time????????
    > > > --
    > > > -- Leland

  5. Re: backup's not working

    That is what I am thinking.......I have done a firmware update on the tape
    drive, updated the bios on the server, applied the latest Compaq driver
    updates, applied the latest install build from Veritas.

    The strange thing is that it appears to backup the first 300mb fine....but
    then errors out and I have to restart the server.

    This has never worked. I have talked with an Veritas engineer who said it
    was a hardware issue. Compaq said that since it passed their tests then it
    was a software issue.

    Is there anything else I can try?

    "amyb" wrote in message news:3ccd759d$1@hronntp01....
    > Yikes. Is everything updated (drivers etc)?
    > When did this start occurring? Before you updated 8.5?
    > "Leland" wrote in message
    > > I have tried 5 different tapes and none of them worked.
    > >
    > > Also, once I get that message the tape won't eject out of the drive

    until
    > > totally shutdown the server and reboot it.
    > >
    > > "amyb" wrote in message

    > > > try another tape, maybe that will work.
    > > > "Leland Albro" wrote in message

    > drive

    and
    > > then

    Compaq
    > > and

  6. Re: backup's not working

    I've had similar problems, this usually works. Unload BE (bestop at
    console). Delete everything out of the SYS:\BKUPEXEC\PM directory and
    load BE (bestart at console).

    Leland wrote:

    > That is what I am thinking.......I have done a firmware update on the tape
    > drive, updated the bios on the server, applied the latest Compaq driver
    > updates, applied the latest install build from Veritas.
    >
    > The strange thing is that it appears to backup the first 300mb fine....but
    > then errors out and I have to restart the server.
    >
    > This has never worked. I have talked with an Veritas engineer who said it
    > was a hardware issue. Compaq said that since it passed their tests then it
    > was a software issue.
    >
    > Is there anything else I can try?
    >

    > "amyb" wrote in message news:3ccd759d$1@hronntp01....
    >
    >>Yikes. Is everything updated (drivers etc)?
    >>When did this start occurring? Before you updated 8.5?
    >>"Leland" wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have tried 5 different tapes and none of them worked.
    >>>
    >>>Also, once I get that message the tape won't eject out of the drive
    >>>

    > until

    >>>totally shutdown the server and reboot it.
    >>>
    >>>"amyb" wrote in message

    >>drive

    > and
    >
    >>>then