BE 9: Unable to create the Backup Exec account - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE 9: Unable to create the Backup Exec account - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hey folks, Here's the situation: NW 5.1 SP3 box. I had Backupe Exec 8.5 on it and running fine, backing up to a DDS-4 drive. I've paid for, and am waiting for the license to, BE 9. So, following the ...

  1. BE 9: Unable to create the Backup Exec account

    Hey folks,

    Here's the situation:

    NW 5.1 SP3 box. I had Backupe Exec 8.5 on it and running fine, backing
    up to a DDS-4 drive.

    I've paid for, and am waiting for the license to, BE 9. So, following
    the vendor's advice, I dl'd the Eval of BE 9, and installed it on my
    server.

    I'm getting the error in sys:bkupexec\bkupexec.fax:

    Unable to create account <.Backup_Exec.FCS.uga>
    Unable to create the Backup Exec account
    Unable to initialize the Backup Exec server account

    I've gotten *no* response from the Veritas people via email. We're in a
    bad place in that we've had to purchase BE from MicroWarehouse - the
    state contract vendor, and as far as Veritas is concerned - Micro is
    their customer, but as far as Micro is concerned, Veritas is the support
    company.

    *sigh*

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: Unable to create the Backup Exec account

    Check and make sure that the login credentials that you are using have
    trustee rights to the root. Admin should work fine. If you are using
    Admin, just for the heck of it, check the trustee assignments.

    C.

    "Jinkook Lee" wrote in message
    > Hey folks,
    >
    > Here's the situation:
    >
    > NW 5.1 SP3 box. I had Backupe Exec 8.5 on it and running fine, backing
    > up to a DDS-4 drive.
    >
    > I've paid for, and am waiting for the license to, BE 9. So, following
    > the vendor's advice, I dl'd the Eval of BE 9, and installed it on my
    > server.
    >
    > I'm getting the error in sys:bkupexec\bkupexec.fax:
    >
    > Unable to create account <.Backup_Exec.FCS.uga>
    > Unable to create the Backup Exec account
    > Unable to initialize the Backup Exec server account
    >
    > I've gotten *no* response from the Veritas people via email. We're in a
    > bad place in that we've had to purchase BE from MicroWarehouse - the
    > state contract vendor, and as far as Veritas is concerned - Micro is
    > their customer, but as far as Micro is concerned, Veritas is the support
    > company.
    >
    > *sigh*
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  3. Re: Unable to create the Backup Exec account

    Carlos wrote:

    > Check and make sure that the login credentials that you are using have
    > trustee rights to the root. Admin should work fine. If you are using
    > Admin, just for the heck of it, check the trustee assignments.
    >
    > C.
    >
    > "Jinkook Lee" wrote in message

    Yes, that should have been mark@fcs.uga.edu - I had another user in my
    NDS preferences. :-)

    Thanks Carlos,

    Yes, I found out from Veritas support that [Root] Admin rights are
    required for the install - an extremely bad thing on a campus tree with
    hundreds of netware servers, with their own admins, who *don't* have
    [Root] admin rights.

    *sigh*

    > > Hey folks,
    > >
    > > Here's the situation:
    > >
    > > NW 5.1 SP3 box. I had Backupe Exec 8.5 on it and running fine, backing
    > > up to a DDS-4 drive.
    > >
    > > I've paid for, and am waiting for the license to, BE 9. So, following
    > > the vendor's advice, I dl'd the Eval of BE 9, and installed it on my
    > > server.
    > >
    > > I'm getting the error in sys:bkupexec\bkupexec.fax:
    > >
    > > Unable to create account <.Backup_Exec.FCS.uga>
    > > Unable to create the Backup Exec account
    > > Unable to initialize the Backup Exec server account
    > >
    > > I've gotten *no* response from the Veritas people via email. We're in a
    > > bad place in that we've had to purchase BE from MicroWarehouse - the
    > > state contract vendor, and as far as Veritas is concerned - Micro is
    > > their customer, but as far as Micro is concerned, Veritas is the support
    > > company.
    > >
    > > *sigh*
    > >
    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  4. Re: Unable to create the Backup Exec account

    Have you found any solution?

    I'm experiencing exactly the same issue.
    At first it made me put a replica and set bindery context on the container.
    Now it still would not create an account. I'm getting exactly the same
    error message as you. The account used definitely has supervisor trustee to
    the root.

    Thanks alot,

    Alex Bogdanovsky
    University of Maryland
    "Jinkook Lee" wrote in message
    > Hey folks,
    >
    > Here's the situation:
    >
    > NW 5.1 SP3 box. I had Backupe Exec 8.5 on it and running fine, backing
    > up to a DDS-4 drive.
    >
    > I've paid for, and am waiting for the license to, BE 9. So, following
    > the vendor's advice, I dl'd the Eval of BE 9, and installed it on my
    > server.
    >
    > I'm getting the error in sys:bkupexec\bkupexec.fax:
    >
    > Unable to create account <.Backup_Exec.FCS.uga>
    > Unable to create the Backup Exec account
    > Unable to initialize the Backup Exec server account
    >
    > I've gotten *no* response from the Veritas people via email. We're in a
    > bad place in that we've had to purchase BE from MicroWarehouse - the
    > state contract vendor, and as far as Veritas is concerned - Micro is
    > their customer, but as far as Micro is concerned, Veritas is the support
    > company.
    >
    > *sigh*
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  5. Re: Unable to create the Backup Exec account

    Hello all,

    I had the same problem when installing BUE on a NW5.0 server. After some
    investigation I found out that there was a time problem in NDS caused by
    a bug ASUS MB-BIOS (time drifted into year 2020) some month ago. The resulting
    problems with NDS objects (synthetic time etc) had benn resolved with dsrepair,
    BUT we forgot to repair the schema. This made it impossible for BUE to add
    its attributes to the schema definition of the user object. And it could
    not create its user object without an extended schema.

    Hope that helps a bit.

    BTW: dsbrowse.nlm is a great tool for finding errors in nds!

    "Alex Bogdanovsky" wrote:
    >Have you found any solution?
    >
    >I'm experiencing exactly the same issue.
    >At first it made me put a replica and set bindery context on the container.
    >Now it still would not create an account. I'm getting exactly the same
    >error message as you. The account used definitely has supervisor trustee

    >the root.
    >
    >Thanks alot,
    >
    >Alex Bogdanovsky
    >University of Maryland
    >"Jinkook Lee" wrote in message
    >> Hey folks,
    >>
    >> Here's the situation:
    >>
    >> NW 5.1 SP3 box. I had Backupe Exec 8.5 on it and running fine, backing
    >> up to a DDS-4 drive.
    >>
    >> I've paid for, and am waiting for the license to, BE 9. So, following
    >> the vendor's advice, I dl'd the Eval of BE 9, and installed it on my
    >> server.
    >>
    >> I'm getting the error in sys:bkupexec\bkupexec.fax:
    >>
    >> Unable to create account <.Backup_Exec.FCS.uga>
    >> Unable to create the Backup Exec account
    >> Unable to initialize the Backup Exec server account
    >>
    >> I've gotten *no* response from the Veritas people via email. We're in

    >> bad place in that we've had to purchase BE from MicroWarehouse - the
    >> state contract vendor, and as far as Veritas is concerned - Micro is
    >> their customer, but as far as Micro is concerned, Veritas is the support
    >> company.
    >>
    >> *sigh*
    >>
    >> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  6. Re: Unable to create the Backup Exec account

    Use Console One or NWAdmin to check for any unknown objects with the same
    name in the backup server container. Somehow BE9 created a corrupted
    Bkupexec object that I had to delete. Once I deleted it BE was able to
    create the object.

    "Jinkook Lee" wrote in message
    > Hey folks,
    >
    > Here's the situation:
    >
    > NW 5.1 SP3 box. I had Backupe Exec 8.5 on it and running fine, backing
    > up to a DDS-4 drive.
    >
    > I've paid for, and am waiting for the license to, BE 9. So, following
    > the vendor's advice, I dl'd the Eval of BE 9, and installed it on my
    > server.
    >
    > I'm getting the error in sys:bkupexec\bkupexec.fax:
    >
    > Unable to create account <.Backup_Exec.FCS.uga>
    > Unable to create the Backup Exec account
    > Unable to initialize the Backup Exec server account
    >
    > I've gotten *no* response from the Veritas people via email. We're in a
    > bad place in that we've had to purchase BE from MicroWarehouse - the
    > state contract vendor, and as far as Veritas is concerned - Micro is
    > their customer, but as far as Micro is concerned, Veritas is the support
    > company.
    >
    > *sigh*
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  7. Re: Unable to create the Backup Exec account

    Same problem. Performed unattended repair on server w/ Master of root until
    0 errors and repeated on new BackupExec server. That fixed my issue.

    "Jörg Zaretzke" wrote:

    >Hello all,
    >
    >I had the same problem when installing BUE on a NW5.0 server. After some
    >investigation I found out that there was a time problem in NDS caused by
    >a bug ASUS MB-BIOS (time drifted into year 2020) some month ago. The resulting
    >problems with NDS objects (synthetic time etc) had benn resolved with dsrepair,
    >BUT we forgot to repair the schema. This made it impossible for BUE to add
    >its attributes to the schema definition of the user object. And it could
    >not create its user object without an extended schema.
    >
    >Hope that helps a bit.
    >
    >BTW: dsbrowse.nlm is a great tool for finding errors in nds!
    >
    >"Alex Bogdanovsky" wrote:
    >>Have you found any solution?
    >>
    >>I'm experiencing exactly the same issue.
    >>At first it made me put a replica and set bindery context on the container.
    >>Now it still would not create an account. I'm getting exactly the same
    >>error message as you. The account used definitely has supervisor trustee

    >>the root.
    >>
    >>Thanks alot,
    >>
    >>Alex Bogdanovsky
    >>University of Maryland
    >>"Jinkook Lee" wrote in message
    >>> Hey folks,
    >>>
    >>> Here's the situation:
    >>>
    >>> NW 5.1 SP3 box. I had Backupe Exec 8.5 on it and running fine, backing
    >>> up to a DDS-4 drive.
    >>>
    >>> I've paid for, and am waiting for the license to, BE 9. So, following
    >>> the vendor's advice, I dl'd the Eval of BE 9, and installed it on my
    >>> server.
    >>>
    >>> I'm getting the error in sys:bkupexec\bkupexec.fax:
    >>>
    >>> Unable to create account <.Backup_Exec.FCS.uga>
    >>> Unable to create the Backup Exec account
    >>> Unable to initialize the Backup Exec server account
    >>>
    >>> I've gotten *no* response from the Veritas people via email. We're in

    >>> bad place in that we've had to purchase BE from MicroWarehouse - the
    >>> state contract vendor, and as far as Veritas is concerned - Micro is
    >>> their customer, but as far as Micro is concerned, Veritas is the support
    >>> company.
    >>>
    >>> *sigh*
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  8. Re: Unable to create the Backup Exec account

    I had to put a R/W replica of root on my server before the
    accounts could be created. Once they were created I could
    remove the replica with no problems.

    David

+ Reply to Thread