BE 9.0 trial installation - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE 9.0 trial installation - Veritas Backup Exec ; Well, I performed the BE 9.0 installation this morning onto our network, and so far, I'm pleasantly surprised. Initial impressions : * Installation was clear, concise and logical * It picked up all SIX servers straight away (thank god) * ...

  1. BE 9.0 trial installation

    Well, I performed the BE 9.0 installation this morning onto our network, and
    so far, I'm pleasantly surprised.

    Initial impressions :
    * Installation was clear, concise and logical
    * It picked up all SIX servers straight away (thank god)
    * The client (java) interface is excellent, a real improvement on 8.5
    * After a good look round the software, I started doing test backups.

    Compared to Arcserve, the restore speed is excellent from our 40/80 DLT. I
    restored 500mb of data from DLT onto a different server in about 7 minutes.

    Just being able to see ALL our servers is a relief tbh, and I'm sure I'll
    test it thoroughly before we buy it.

    I have set a differential backup for the rest of this week, culminating in a
    full backup on Friday, so I'll see how it goes. I presume it'll do a full
    backup tonight anyway, so the differential backup has a base to work from.

    all the best

    Pete Spaldin

    PS. I'm sure there wil be problems along the way, as I have read about
    several in this resource, sothese are just my initial observations. Be aware
    though, in the documentation, you do need Netware 5.1 with at least SP3 for
    it to run.

  2. Re: BE 9.0 trial installation

    5.1? Well, that counts us out..:-\
    "Pete Spaldin @ work" wrote in message
    > Well, I performed the BE 9.0 installation this morning onto our network,

    and
    > so far, I'm pleasantly surprised.
    >
    > Initial impressions :
    > * Installation was clear, concise and logical
    > * It picked up all SIX servers straight away (thank god)
    > * The client (java) interface is excellent, a real improvement on 8.5
    > * After a good look round the software, I started doing test backups.
    >
    > Compared to Arcserve, the restore speed is excellent from our 40/80 DLT. I
    > restored 500mb of data from DLT onto a different server in about 7

    minutes.

    > Just being able to see ALL our servers is a relief tbh, and I'm sure I'll
    > test it thoroughly before we buy it.
    >
    > I have set a differential backup for the rest of this week, culminating in

    > full backup on Friday, so I'll see how it goes. I presume it'll do a full
    > backup tonight anyway, so the differential backup has a base to work from.
    >
    > all the best
    >
    > Pete Spaldin
    >
    > PS. I'm sure there wil be problems along the way, as I have read about
    > several in this resource, sothese are just my initial observations. Be

    aware
    > though, in the documentation, you do need Netware 5.1 with at least SP3

    for
    > it to run.

  3. Re: BE 9.0 trial installation

    Pete

    > * It picked up all SIX servers straight away (thank god)
    > * The client (java) interface is excellent, a real improvement on 8.5

    *smug grin* told ya so :-P
    Seriously though, it is a lot better and I'm glad you like it.... the
    Windows Client was far too "quirky" for my liking.

    > PS. I'm sure there wil be problems along the way, as I have read about
    > several in this resource, sothese are just my initial observations. Be

    aware
    > though, in the documentation, you do need Netware 5.1 with at least SP3

    for
    > it to run.

    Well, you know where everyone is if you run into any problems!
    That NW5.1 SP3 requirement isn't the case - it'll run on 4.2 and upwards
    (allegedly!)

    Cheers & good luck

    Michael

  4. Re: BE 9.0 trial installation

    Michael, after reading the manual more thoroughly, you are quite correct
    (again ;-) ), NetWare 4.2x or later is supported. It may be the case that if
    you are using 5.1, you need to be running sp3.

    Hope this clears this up Amy, sorry

    Pete

    "Michael" wrote in message
    > Pete
    >
    > > * It picked up all SIX servers straight away (thank god)
    > > * The client (java) interface is excellent, a real improvement on 8.5

    > *smug grin* told ya so :-P
    > Seriously though, it is a lot better and I'm glad you like it.... the
    > Windows Client was far too "quirky" for my liking.
    >
    > > PS. I'm sure there wil be problems along the way, as I have read about
    > > several in this resource, sothese are just my initial observations. Be

    > aware
    > > though, in the documentation, you do need Netware 5.1 with at least SP3

    > for
    > > it to run.

    > Well, you know where everyone is if you run into any problems!
    > That NW5.1 SP3 requirement isn't the case - it'll run on 4.2 and upwards
    > (allegedly!)
    >
    > Cheers & good luck
    >
    > Michael

  5. Re: BE 9.0 trial installation

    Pete

    > Michael, after reading the manual more thoroughly, you are quite correct
    > (again ;-) ), NetWare 4.2x or later is supported.

    ;-)

    > It may be the case that if you are using 5.1, you need to be running sp3.

    True, but then again, service packs should always be applied - if not the
    latest, then the one before (cos we all know what applying the latest SP is
    like )

    Michael

  6. Re: BE 9.0 trial installation

    We are using Neware 4.2, soon to try to go to 6.0, I noticed you
    say 5.1, the software is supposed to support 4x - 6? Is there
    something someone is not telling us??

    "Pete Spaldin @ work" wrote:
    >Well, I performed the BE 9.0 installation this morning onto our network,

    and
    >so far, I'm pleasantly surprised.
    >
    >Initial impressions :
    >* Installation was clear, concise and logical
    >* It picked up all SIX servers straight away (thank god)
    >* The client (java) interface is excellent, a real improvement on 8.5
    >* After a good look round the software, I started doing test backups.
    >
    >Compared to Arcserve, the restore speed is excellent from our 40/80 DLT.

    >restored 500mb of data from DLT onto a different server in about 7 minutes.
    >
    >Just being able to see ALL our servers is a relief tbh, and I'm sure I'll
    >test it thoroughly before we buy it.
    >
    >I have set a differential backup for the rest of this week, culminating

    in a
    >full backup on Friday, so I'll see how it goes. I presume it'll do a full
    >backup tonight anyway, so the differential backup has a base to work from.
    >
    >all the best
    >
    >Pete Spaldin
    >
    >PS. I'm sure there wil be problems along the way, as I have read about
    >several in this resource, sothese are just my initial observations. Be aware
    >though, in the documentation, you do need Netware 5.1 with at least SP3

    for
    >it to run.

  7. Re: BE 9.0 trial installation

    I have re-read the Admin Manual, it does support the listed
    Items I mentioned below, also, I have seen other post to the same
    thing, Just wanted to let you know

    "Tom Marthers" wrote:

    >We are using Neware 4.2, soon to try to go to 6.0, I noticed you
    >say 5.1, the software is supposed to support 4x - 6? Is there
    >something someone is not telling us??
    >

    >"Pete Spaldin @ work" wrote:
    >>Well, I performed the BE 9.0 installation this morning onto our network,

    >and
    >>so far, I'm pleasantly surprised.
    >>
    >>Initial impressions :
    >>* Installation was clear, concise and logical
    >>* It picked up all SIX servers straight away (thank god)
    >>* The client (java) interface is excellent, a real improvement on 8.5
    >>* After a good look round the software, I started doing test backups.
    >>
    >>Compared to Arcserve, the restore speed is excellent from our 40/80 DLT.

    >>restored 500mb of data from DLT onto a different server in about 7 minutes.
    >>
    >>Just being able to see ALL our servers is a relief tbh, and I'm sure I'll
    >>test it thoroughly before we buy it.
    >>
    >>I have set a differential backup for the rest of this week, culminating

    >in a
    >>full backup on Friday, so I'll see how it goes. I presume it'll do a full
    >>backup tonight anyway, so the differential backup has a base to work from.
    >>
    >>all the best
    >>
    >>Pete Spaldin
    >>
    >>PS. I'm sure there wil be problems along the way, as I have read about
    >>several in this resource, sothese are just my initial observations. Be

    aware
    >>though, in the documentation, you do need Netware 5.1 with at least SP3

    >for
    >>it to run.

+ Reply to Thread