SMS Errors too! - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on SMS Errors too! - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, NetWare 5.1 sp3, BackupExec 8.5 v191 Latest TSA update (and previous tried), NDS appears OK, Volumes Vrepaired and so on. Backup Completes with Error (all files backed up) but history shows SMS error, program cannot scan for trustees. This ...

  1. SMS Errors too!

    Hi,

    NetWare 5.1 sp3, BackupExec 8.5 v191 Latest TSA update (and previous tried),
    NDS appears OK, Volumes Vrepaired and so on. Backup Completes with Error
    (all files backed up) but history shows SMS error, program cannot scan for
    trustees. This appears several times and relates to individual files. Found
    through Veritas a utility to test SMS (SMSTEST.NLM) which mimmicks a backup
    (without transferring data), and displays each error to screen as it occurs.

    For me the SYS volume only provokes SMS errors, another chap with the same
    problem has them on other volumes. In addition I have one server where SMS
    errors are not consistent, i.e. one backup is OK the next SMS errors - also
    the files are not always the same.

    This only seems to have come about since SP3 - DS has been 8.77 & 8.77a.

    I canot accept back-revving now that I have applied SP3, also 4 out of the
    six servers effected do not have the problem, although the same version of
    BE & Netware & Service Packs.

    Please Help.

  2. Re: SMS Errors too!

    This is a known issue. Backrev SMDR.NLM, TSA500.NLM and TSANDS.NLM to
    the versions that came with SP2a.

    Rob Woods wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > NetWare 5.1 sp3, BackupExec 8.5 v191 Latest TSA update (and previous tried),
    > NDS appears OK, Volumes Vrepaired and so on. Backup Completes with Error
    > (all files backed up) but history shows SMS error, program cannot scan for
    > trustees. This appears several times and relates to individual files. Found
    > through Veritas a utility to test SMS (SMSTEST.NLM) which mimmicks a backup
    > (without transferring data), and displays each error to screen as it occurs.
    >
    > For me the SYS volume only provokes SMS errors, another chap with the same
    > problem has them on other volumes. In addition I have one server where SMS
    > errors are not consistent, i.e. one backup is OK the next SMS errors - also
    > the files are not always the same.
    >
    > This only seems to have come about since SP3 - DS has been 8.77 & 8.77a.
    >
    > I canot accept back-revving now that I have applied SP3, also 4 out of the
    > six servers effected do not have the problem, although the same version of
    > BE & Netware & Service Packs.
    >
    > Please Help.

  3. Re: SMS Errors too!

    Thanks for that but this does not solve the problem.

    Peter Wendell wrote:
    >This is a known issue. Backrev SMDR.NLM, TSA500.NLM and TSANDS.NLM to
    >the versions that came with SP2a.
    >
    >Rob Woods wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> NetWare 5.1 sp3, BackupExec 8.5 v191 Latest TSA update (and previous tried),
    >> NDS appears OK, Volumes Vrepaired and so on. Backup Completes with Error
    >> (all files backed up) but history shows SMS error, program cannot scan

    for
    >> trustees. This appears several times and relates to individual files.

    Found
    >> through Veritas a utility to test SMS (SMSTEST.NLM) which mimmicks a backup
    >> (without transferring data), and displays each error to screen as it occurs.
    >>
    >> For me the SYS volume only provokes SMS errors, another chap with the

    same
    >> problem has them on other volumes. In addition I have one server where

    SMS
    >> errors are not consistent, i.e. one backup is OK the next SMS errors -

    also
    >> the files are not always the same.
    >>
    >> This only seems to have come about since SP3 - DS has been 8.77 & 8.77a.
    >>
    >> I canot accept back-revving now that I have applied SP3, also 4 out of

    the
    >> six servers effected do not have the problem, although the same version

    of
    >> BE & Netware & Service Packs.
    >>
    >> Please Help.

  4. Re: SMS Errors too!

    -
    >also
    >>> the files are not always the same.
    >>>
    >>> This only seems to have come about since SP3 - DS has been 8.77 & 8.77a.
    >>>
    >>> I canot accept back-revving now that I have applied SP3, also 4 out of

    >the
    >>> six servers effected do not have the problem, although the same version

    >of
    >>> BE & Netware & Service Packs.
    >>>
    >>> Please Help.

    I have same issue ...

    What i dont understand is WHY THIS IS NOT FOUND IN THE F#$@##(@ KNOWLEDGEBASE!!!!!!!!!!!

    I have wasted countless hours on this worthless product!!

    Only to discover it thru this goofy newsgroup link!

    Its the only way to get help on this turd...Veritas wants to gouge me for
    cash everytime i need a SIMPLE GD ANSWER!

    The kicker is that the answer is "we know about this ... ts!"

    Love this company....

+ Reply to Thread