Using IDR for Server Upgrade - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Using IDR for Server Upgrade - Veritas Backup Exec ; In the near future the company I work for is looking to move our server from a Compaq server with one 9gig harddrive to a Dell with four 18gig harddrives in a hardware RAID-5 configuration. The new server will be ...

  1. Using IDR for Server Upgrade

    In the near future the company I work for is looking to move our server from
    a Compaq server with one 9gig harddrive to a Dell with four 18gig harddrives
    in a hardware RAID-5 configuration. The new server will be named the same
    thing the old server was and the old server will simply be taken off of the
    network. Obviously the sizes of the partitions are going to change when we
    move to the new server and I was wondering if IDR would be able to handle
    this. If so what would be the procedure involved?

    The server is running Netware 5.0sp5 and Backup Exec 8.5.

    (Note: I have already read Technote: 189097 and the datasheet for IDR, but
    both are kinda vague on the actual capabilities of IDR.)

    Any information would be much appreciated.

    Thank you,
    C. Strickler

  2. Re: Using IDR for Server Upgrade

    "C. Strickler" wrote:
    >In the near future the company I work for is looking to move our server

    from
    >a Compaq server with one 9gig harddrive to a Dell with four 18gig harddrives
    >in a hardware RAID-5 configuration. The new server will be named the same
    >thing the old server was and the old server will simply be taken off of

    the
    >network. Obviously the sizes of the partitions are going to change when

    we
    >move to the new server and I was wondering if IDR would be able to handle
    >this. If so what would be the procedure involved?
    >
    >The server is running Netware 5.0sp5 and Backup Exec 8.5.
    >
    >(Note: I have already read Technote: 189097 and the datasheet for IDR, but
    >both are kinda vague on the actual capabilities of IDR.)
    >
    >Any information would be much appreciated.
    >
    >Thank you,
    >C. Strickler

    IDR doesn't work too well as migration software. Unless your "new" hardware
    is IDENTICAL to your "old" hardware, down to cards and slots and interrupts,
    expect some problems. The only thing it copes will well is larger hard disks.

  3. Re: Using IDR for Server Upgrade

    That's what I suspected, but there was always hope. :]

    Thank you though.

    - C. Strickler

    "Lane Oakley" wrote in message

    > IDR doesn't work too well as migration software. Unless your "new"

    hardware
    > is IDENTICAL to your "old" hardware, down to cards and slots and

    interrupts,
    > expect some problems. The only thing it copes will well is larger hard

    disks.

  4. Re: Using IDR for Server Upgrade

    IDR is most definitely *NOT* a migration tool!
    If you're attempting a move to a new server, your hardware *must be exactly*
    the same as the one you created the IDR image on
    Re partition sizes, they will be created to exactly the same size as they
    were on the image server.

    "C. Strickler" wrote in message
    > In the near future the company I work for is looking to move our server

    from
    > a Compaq server with one 9gig harddrive to a Dell with four 18gig

    harddrives
    > in a hardware RAID-5 configuration. The new server will be named the same
    > thing the old server was and the old server will simply be taken off of

    the
    > network. Obviously the sizes of the partitions are going to change when we
    > move to the new server and I was wondering if IDR would be able to handle
    > this. If so what would be the procedure involved?
    >
    > The server is running Netware 5.0sp5 and Backup Exec 8.5.
    >
    > (Note: I have already read Technote: 189097 and the datasheet for IDR, but
    > both are kinda vague on the actual capabilities of IDR.)
    >
    > Any information would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > C. Strickler

  5. Re: Using IDR for Server Upgrade

    Since others have answered the question of using IDR to perform the
    migration, I recommend a different product. Use ServerMagic by PowerQuest.
    I personally have used this software to perform a migration identical to
    what you are planning. There was even an article in NCMag about ServerMagic
    (http://www.ncmag.com/2000_12/prod/index.html). The process is simple:

    1. Make an image of your existing server's drive(s) on to either CD or
    another server using ServerImage (comes w/ServerMagic)
    2. Boot the new server from floppy (after configuring the RAID array) and
    place the image on the new server, using SI
    3. Use SM to resize your partitons to fill the the new drive space
    4. Boot server with -NA -NS
    5. Manually load disk/network drivers and modify appropriate configuration
    files
    6. Re-start server and voila!

    The whole process can be done in less than 3 hours.

    ServerMagic costs around $450 - $500 @
    http://www.powerquest.com/servermagicnw/ (note: the NW version fully
    supports NT/W2k/Unix as well).

    "C. Strickler" wrote:

    > That's what I suspected, but there was always hope. :]
    >
    > Thank you though.
    >
    > - C. Strickler
    >
    > "Lane Oakley" wrote in message
    >
    > > IDR doesn't work too well as migration software. Unless your "new"

    > hardware
    > > is IDENTICAL to your "old" hardware, down to cards and slots and

    > interrupts,
    > > expect some problems. The only thing it copes will well is larger hard

    > disks.

+ Reply to Thread