BEREMOTE high utilization all day - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BEREMOTE high utilization all day - Veritas Backup Exec ; We are having problems with high utilization on our Netware 5.1 servers, and we have noticed (amongst other things) that BEREMOTE.NLM generates fairly high CPU utilization all day. We only run backup at nights, so would not expect Beremote to ...

  1. BEREMOTE high utilization all day

    We are having problems with high utilization on our Netware 5.1 servers, and
    we have noticed (amongst other things) that BEREMOTE.NLM generates fairly
    high CPU utilization all day. We only run backup at nights, so would not
    expect Beremote to be so busy as it seems to be when backup is not running.
    Questions:
    1. Should BEREMOTE be so busy when backup is not running?
    2. Can one adjust BEREMOTE in some way so that it becomes active only when
    backup starts?
    3. Should we unload BEREMOTE during the daytime, and schedule it for loading
    at backup time?

  2. Re: BEREMOTE high utilization all day

    This is a follow-up to my posting:

    I have now tried unloading BEREMOTE, via BESTOP.NCF. This results in the
    following message:
    BEREMOTE: Warning! Engine has active session(s). If you
    continue with this operation, the sessions will
    be abnormally terminated.
    Unload module anyway? n

    There is no backup job running, so I don't understand what the active sessions
    are. I have not unloaded the module, in case that causes an abend.

    This is presumably why BEREMOTE is so busy all day, i.e. busy with inexplicable
    active sessions. We have two major servers in this state.

    Any explanations? Thanks in advance for any help.
    //Terence

    "Terence Bailey" wrote:

    >We are having problems with high utilization on our Netware 5.1 servers,

    and
    >we have noticed (amongst other things) that BEREMOTE.NLM generates fairly
    >high CPU utilization all day. We only run backup at nights, so would not
    >expect Beremote to be so busy as it seems to be when backup is not running.
    >Questions:
    >1. Should BEREMOTE be so busy when backup is not running?
    >2. Can one adjust BEREMOTE in some way so that it becomes active only when
    >backup starts?
    >3. Should we unload BEREMOTE during the daytime, and schedule it for loading
    >at backup time?

  3. Re: BEREMOTE high utilization all day

    What build of Backup Exec are you using?

    "Terence Bailey" wrote in message

    > We are having problems with high utilization on our Netware 5.1 servers,

    and
    > we have noticed (amongst other things) that BEREMOTE.NLM generates fairly
    > high CPU utilization all day. We only run backup at nights, so would not
    > expect Beremote to be so busy as it seems to be when backup is not

    running.
    > Questions:
    > 1. Should BEREMOTE be so busy when backup is not running?
    > 2. Can one adjust BEREMOTE in some way so that it becomes active only when
    > backup starts?
    > 3. Should we unload BEREMOTE during the daytime, and schedule it for

    > at backup time?

  4. Re: BEREMOTE high utilization all day

    And what Netware patch level are you at?

    "barmyb" wrote in message news:3b52f7be$1@hronntp01....
    > What build of Backup Exec are you using?
    >
    > "Terence Bailey" wrote in message
    > >
    > > We are having problems with high utilization on our Netware 5.1 servers,

    > and
    > > we have noticed (amongst other things) that BEREMOTE.NLM generates

    fairly
    > > high CPU utilization all day. We only run backup at nights, so would not
    > > expect Beremote to be so busy as it seems to be when backup is not

    > running.
    > > Questions:
    > > 1. Should BEREMOTE be so busy when backup is not running?
    > > 2. Can one adjust BEREMOTE in some way so that it becomes active only

    when
    > > backup starts?
    > > 3. Should we unload BEREMOTE during the daytime, and schedule it for

    > > at backup time?

  5. Re: BEREMOTE high utilization all day

    I have discovered the reason for the problem. A BERemote process had been
    suspended due to causing an Abend (despite this, backup continued to run
    OK). I upgraded the Novell TSA modules by installing TSA5UP6. That solved
    the problem with abends and high utilization.

    We are running Beremote v 8.50 and Netware 5.1 SP 2.0a.

    "barmyb" wrote:
    >And what Netware patch level are you at?
    >
    >"barmyb" wrote in message news:3b52f7be$1@hronntp01....
    >> What build of Backup Exec are you using?
    >>
    >> "Terence Bailey" wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > We are having problems with high utilization on our Netware 5.1 servers,

    >> and
    >> > we have noticed (amongst other things) that BEREMOTE.NLM generates

    >fairly
    >> > high CPU utilization all day. We only run backup at nights, so would

    not
    >> > expect Beremote to be so busy as it seems to be when backup is not

    >> running.
    >> > Questions:
    >> > 1. Should BEREMOTE be so busy when backup is not running?
    >> > 2. Can one adjust BEREMOTE in some way so that it becomes active only

    >when
    >> > backup starts?
    >> > 3. Should we unload BEREMOTE during the daytime, and schedule it for

    >> > at backup time?

+ Reply to Thread