SMS error on backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on SMS error on backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am running Novell 5.1 with Beta release service pack 3. I am getting an error on backup. Begin Novell SMS errors: The program cannot scan for trustees. End Novell SMS errors. I have also recently installed Native file access ...

  1. SMS error on backup

    I am running Novell 5.1 with Beta release service pack 3. I am getting an
    error on backup.
    Begin Novell SMS errors:

    The program cannot scan for trustees.

    End Novell SMS errors.

    I have also recently installed Native file access for Macintosh - any ideas???

    Thanks,
    Alexis.

  2. Re: SMS error on backup

    Hi Alexis
    If it occurs on traditional volumes run dsrepair.
    If it occurs on nss volumes wait for a tool, called nssutil.exe which will
    repair lost trustess on nss volumes.

    Regards, Kai

    "Alexis" wrote...

    > I am running Novell 5.1 with Beta release service pack 3. I am getting an
    > error on backup.
    > Begin Novell SMS errors:
    >
    > The program cannot scan for trustees.
    >
    > End Novell SMS errors.
    >
    > I have also recently installed Native file access for Macintosh - any

    ideas???

    > Thanks,
    > Alexis.

  3. Re: SMS error on backup

    I tried to run Dsrepair and it still came up with the error. I rebooted the
    server, ran DSrepair even tried to delete the Bckup exec objects in the NDS
    and auto-recreate them. Nothing seems to work!

    "Kai Reichert" wrote:
    >Hi Alexis
    >If it occurs on traditional volumes run dsrepair.
    >If it occurs on nss volumes wait for a tool, called nssutil.exe which will
    >repair lost trustess on nss volumes.
    >
    >Regards, Kai
    >
    >"Alexis" wrote...
    >>
    >> I am running Novell 5.1 with Beta release service pack 3. I am getting

    an
    >> error on backup.
    >> Begin Novell SMS errors:
    >>
    >> The program cannot scan for trustees.
    >>
    >> End Novell SMS errors.
    >>
    >> I have also recently installed Native file access for Macintosh - any

    >ideas???
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Alexis.

  4. Re: SMS error on backup

    Alexis,
    does the error message appears with nss or traditional volumes ?

    Kai

    "Alexis" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > I tried to run Dsrepair and it still came up with the error. I rebooted

    the
    > server, ran DSrepair even tried to delete the Bckup exec objects in the

    NDS
    > and auto-recreate them. Nothing seems to work!
    >
    > "Kai Reichert" wrote:
    > >Hi Alexis
    > >If it occurs on traditional volumes run dsrepair.
    > >If it occurs on nss volumes wait for a tool, called nssutil.exe which

    will
    > >repair lost trustess on nss volumes.
    > >
    > >Regards, Kai
    > >
    > >"Alexis" wrote...
    > >>
    > >> I am running Novell 5.1 with Beta release service pack 3. I am getting

    > an
    > >> error on backup.
    > >> Begin Novell SMS errors:
    > >>
    > >> The program cannot scan for trustees.
    > >>
    > >> End Novell SMS errors.
    > >>
    > >> I have also recently installed Native file access for Macintosh - any

    > >ideas???
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Alexis.

  5. Re: SMS error on backup

    Kai,

    It appears on Traditional volumes.

    Alexis
    "Kai Reichert" wrote:
    >Alexis,
    >does the error message appears with nss or traditional volumes ?
    >
    >Kai
    >
    >"Alexis" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>
    >> I tried to run Dsrepair and it still came up with the error. I rebooted

    >the
    >> server, ran DSrepair even tried to delete the Bckup exec objects in the

    >NDS
    >> and auto-recreate them. Nothing seems to work!
    >>
    >> "Kai Reichert" wrote:
    >> >Hi Alexis
    >> >If it occurs on traditional volumes run dsrepair.
    >> >If it occurs on nss volumes wait for a tool, called nssutil.exe which

    >will
    >> >repair lost trustess on nss volumes.
    >> >
    >> >Regards, Kai
    >> >
    >> >"Alexis" wrote...

    >> an

    >> >ideas???

  6. Re: SMS error on backup

    Hi
    Then it should be fixed with running dsrepair...
    I'll suggest to wait for SP3 which is in beta4 now and see if it fixes
    anything. Otherwise i would open a call at veritas.

    Kai

  7. Re: SMS error on backup

    If you figure out what is causing this problem or a solution, please let us
    know. I have one customer suffering the same fate. Traditional volumes,
    ran DSRepair - no errors, and NW5.1.Thanks.

    "Alexis" wrote in message

    > Kai,
    >
    > It appears on Traditional volumes.
    >
    > Alexis
    > "Kai Reichert" wrote:
    > >Alexis,
    > >does the error message appears with nss or traditional volumes ?
    > >
    > >Kai
    > >
    > >"Alexis" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > >>
    > >> I tried to run Dsrepair and it still came up with the error. I

    rebooted
    > >the
    > >> server, ran DSrepair even tried to delete the Bckup exec objects in the

    > >NDS
    > >> and auto-recreate them. Nothing seems to work!

    > >will

    getting
    > >> an

    any

  8. Re: SMS error on backup

    One thing that I read was:
    ran DSrepair even tried to delete the Bckup exec objects in the
    >> >NDS

    I hope you ran DSREPAIR after deleting the NDS objects, than
    re-created the objects.
    Maybe a re-install alltogether? That would suck, but sometimes
    drastic times calls for drastic measures.
    Phil G.

    -
    >any

  9. Re: SMS error on backup

    I was receiving this error on a NW 5.1 SP2a box running BE 8.5 build 191.
    It seems to be cleared up by running DSREPAIR and selecting Advanced Options
    -> Check Volume Objects and Trustees. It actually found and purged one bad
    trustee.

    Hope this helps,

    Matthew Gibson

+ Reply to Thread