Backupexec v8 spanning 3 tapes - server abends after first tape - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backupexec v8 spanning 3 tapes - server abends after first tape - Veritas Backup Exec ; Novell netware v4.11. Recently had a disk failure. This disk has since been replaced. The full backup however spans 3 tapes. Before the disk failure, it simply requested tape2 and 3 as each tape was filled with backup data. Now ...

  1. Backupexec v8 spanning 3 tapes - server abends after first tape

    Novell netware v4.11. Recently had a disk failure.
    This disk has since been replaced. The full backup however spans
    3 tapes. Before the disk failure, it simply requested tape2 and 3
    as each tape was filled with backup data.
    Now it completes any job that only takes 1 tape. But if the job
    requires more than 1 tape, it asks for tape2 but then when
    rewinding the tape the server abends with a page fault
    exception error.
    Any idea's?

  2. Re: Backupexec v8 spanning 3 tapes - server abends after first tape

    "Now it completes any job that only takes 1 tape. But if the job
    requires more than 1 tape, it asks for tape2 but then when rewinding the
    tape the server abends with a page fault exception error. Any idea's?

    I have similar problem here. Backs up to tape2 of 3 but then server abends
    with a page fault exception error. It has been suggested by Veritas that
    it is because the is less than 30 free space on the data volume (salvage
    doesn't count as free space). I have split the backup to comprise of more
    than one job and append the 2nd job to the end of the first on the same tape
    set. I can get the backup on three tapes then with no abend.
    I hope someone has this one worked out.

  3. Re: Backupexec v8 spanning 3 tapes - server abends after first tape

    Do you think this could be memory related? I only have 180MB in
    this novell server. The cache buffers are 60% which is the min
    recommended by veritas. Could it be that backupexec requires
    use of memory when tapes are switched - you know to continue
    where it left off.
    The abend.log does seem to suggest some references to memory

  4. Re: Backupexec v8 spanning 3 tapes - server abends after first tape

    "DPatel" wrote:

    >Novell netware v4.11. Recently had a disk failure.
    >This disk has since been replaced. The full backup however spans
    >3 tapes. Before the disk failure, it simply requested tape2 and 3
    >as each tape was filled with backup data.
    >Now it completes any job that only takes 1 tape. But if the job
    >requires more than 1 tape, it asks for tape2 but then when
    >rewinding the tape the server abends with a page fault
    >exception error.
    >Any idea's?

    did anyone ever come up with a solution to the spanning tapes problem. i'm
    in the same boat with the rest of you.

+ Reply to Thread