NW 5.1 and Veritas 8.5 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on NW 5.1 and Veritas 8.5 - Veritas Backup Exec ; This is what I have. Nw 5.1(TCPIP only)being backed-up to an NT 4.0 server. Backup starts, loads, backups anywhere between 10-35 meg. Then the NIC card freezes, (can't ping) drops off the server and the server freezes. If you catch ...

  1. NW 5.1 and Veritas 8.5

    This is what I have. Nw 5.1(TCPIP only)being backed-up to an NT 4.0 server.
    Backup starts, loads, backups anywhere between 10-35 meg. Then the NIC
    card freezes, (can't ping) drops off the server and the server freezes.
    If you catch the failure within 5 minutes you can down the server and reboot
    and everything works fine. (if not you have to power off and hope it comes
    up fine). This has happened every night for the past 2 weeks. Changed out
    the NIC because of failures and no help. The nic I am using is a 3c980.
    If we don't run the backup the server is fine. I have changed serveral TCP/IP
    setting on the card with no success. Can anyone through me a helping hand.

    Thanks
    If you want to you can respond to Gclearwood@mediaone.net

  2. Re: NW 5.1 and Veritas 8.5

    3C980 - which one? "b", "c"? Is the proper driver loaded?
    Did the backups work, in the same setup, 2 weeks ago, or did this
    method get implemented at two weeks ago and it has failed since it
    was introduced?

    Put BE in debug mode - CTRL and "Z". Put the remote agent in debug
    mode (you may have to check on that one).
    Run a sniffer and see if there is a timeout issue developing.
    Check the sniffer for broadcast storms. Are the packet receive buffers
    on the NetWare server okay. Check to see if the recommended
    NetWare parameters are set, according to Veritas.

    There's a lot of variables here.
    Phil G.

    "Gordon Clearwood" wrote:

    >This is what I have. Nw 5.1(TCPIP only)being backed-up to an NT 4.0 server.
    > Backup starts, loads, backups anywhere between 10-35 meg. Then the NIC
    >card freezes, (can't ping) drops off the server and the server freezes.

    >If you catch the failure within 5 minutes you can down the server and reboot
    >and everything works fine. (if not you have to power off and hope it comes
    >up fine). This has happened every night for the past 2 weeks. Changed out
    >the NIC because of failures and no help. The nic I am using is a 3c980.
    >If we don't run the backup the server is fine. I have changed serveral

    TCP/IP
    >setting on the card with no success. Can anyone through me a helping hand.
    >

    >Thanks
    >If you want to you can respond to Gclearwood@mediaone.net

  3. Re: NW 5.1 and Veritas 8.5

    Phil thanks for the response,

    The version of the card is 3c980c and it loads the 3c980.lan dated sept.
    6, 2000. This problem has gotten worse with the new card, failures were happening
    with the other card that is why we put the newer server class card in the
    server but the problem got worse, I am in work right now and ran a small
    backup of 18 meg and it backed up fine, then we backed up 87 meg and failed.
    I have been looking for the Veritas setting but so far I have had no success
    on finding them. Also I am going to start looking at the SMDR settings.
    Any more suggestions and where do I do the CTRL "Z" at the netware server
    or the NT server were the backup is started from.

    Thanks

    "Phil G." wrote:

    >3C980 - which one? "b", "c"? Is the proper driver loaded?
    >Did the backups work, in the same setup, 2 weeks ago, or did this
    >method get implemented at two weeks ago and it has failed since it
    >was introduced?
    >
    >Put BE in debug mode - CTRL and "Z". Put the remote agent in debug
    >mode (you may have to check on that one).
    >Run a sniffer and see if there is a timeout issue developing.
    >Check the sniffer for broadcast storms. Are the packet receive buffers
    >on the NetWare server okay. Check to see if the recommended
    >NetWare parameters are set, according to Veritas.
    >
    >There's a lot of variables here.
    >Phil G.
    >

    >"Gordon Clearwood" wrote:
    >>
    >>This is what I have. Nw 5.1(TCPIP only)being backed-up to an NT 4.0 server.
    >> Backup starts, loads, backups anywhere between 10-35 meg. Then the NIC
    >>card freezes, (can't ping) drops off the server and the server freezes.

    >>If you catch the failure within 5 minutes you can down the server and reboot
    >>and everything works fine. (if not you have to power off and hope it comes
    >>up fine). This has happened every night for the past 2 weeks. Changed

    out
    >>the NIC because of failures and no help. The nic I am using is a 3c980.
    >>If we don't run the backup the server is fine. I have changed serveral

    >TCP/IP
    >>setting on the card with no success. Can anyone through me a helping hand.
    >>

    >>Thanks
    >>If you want to you can respond to Gclearwood@mediaone.net

  4. Re: NW 5.1 and Veritas 8.5

    When BackupExec runs on Novell, the CTRL-"Z" is run from the
    Backup Exec - Job Manager screen. Since you are running BakupExec
    on NT and I do not, I do not know if CTRL-"Z" works. I am assuming
    that it runs as some kind of service and may require a different
    debug method.

    I found the following:

    Also, what are the patch levels of NT and NetWare?

    Good luck.

    Phil G.

    "Gordon Clearwood" wrote:

    >Phil thanks for the response,
    >
    >The version of the card is 3c980c and it loads the 3c980.lan dated sept.
    >6, 2000. This problem has gotten worse with the new card, failures were

    happening
    >with the other card that is why we put the newer server class card in the
    >server but the problem got worse, I am in work right now and ran a small
    >backup of 18 meg and it backed up fine, then we backed up 87 meg and failed.
    > I have been looking for the Veritas setting but so far I have had no success
    >on finding them. Also I am going to start looking at the SMDR settings.

    >Any more suggestions and where do I do the CTRL "Z" at the netware server
    >or the NT server were the backup is started from.
    >
    >Thanks
    >

    >"Phil G." wrote:
    >>
    >>3C980 - which one? "b", "c"? Is the proper driver loaded?
    >>Did the backups work, in the same setup, 2 weeks ago, or did this
    >>method get implemented at two weeks ago and it has failed since it
    >>was introduced?
    >>
    >>Put BE in debug mode - CTRL and "Z". Put the remote agent in debug
    >>mode (you may have to check on that one).
    >>Run a sniffer and see if there is a timeout issue developing.
    >>Check the sniffer for broadcast storms. Are the packet receive buffers
    >>on the NetWare server okay. Check to see if the recommended
    >>NetWare parameters are set, according to Veritas.
    >>
    >>There's a lot of variables here.
    >>Phil G.
    >>

    >>"Gordon Clearwood" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>This is what I have. Nw 5.1(TCPIP only)being backed-up to an NT 4.0 server.
    >>> Backup starts, loads, backups anywhere between 10-35 meg. Then the NIC
    >>>card freezes, (can't ping) drops off the server and the server freezes.

    >>>If you catch the failure within 5 minutes you can down the server and

    reboot
    >>>and everything works fine. (if not you have to power off and hope it comes
    >>>up fine). This has happened every night for the past 2 weeks. Changed

    >out
    >>>the NIC because of failures and no help. The nic I am using is a 3c980.
    >>>If we don't run the backup the server is fine. I have changed serveral

    >>TCP/IP
    >>>setting on the card with no success. Can anyone through me a helping

    hand.

    >>>Thanks
    >>>If you want to you can respond to Gclearwood@mediaone.net

+ Reply to Thread