Media Not Recognized??????????? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Media Not Recognized??????????? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have Backup Exec for Netware 8. I have made semi-annual backups of our company data, in case we need to recover files from certain time periods. Today I had a request for a file from 1999, so I got ...

  1. Media Not Recognized???????????

    I have Backup Exec for Netware 8. I have made semi-annual backups of our company
    data, in case we need to recover files from certain time periods. Today I
    had a request for a file from 1999, so I got out the semi-annual and tried
    to catalog it. I got a message saying "Tape Unrecognized". Got that message
    on a couple of other semi-annuals. Got the same message when trying to inventory
    the tapes. How can this be? This is the same tape drive and software used
    to make the tapes. There were no errors reports when the tapes were made.
    Now they are unrecognized? We now essentially have no backups for those time
    periods. This is NOT good. I was reading another message in this group saying
    "Why is this backup suite so problematic. I cannot trust it after this."
    Amen to that. If you cannot trust your backup, you have a big problem. Help!

    Thanks

  2. Re: Media Not Recognized???????????

    I sometimes get this problem after performing test restore. Usually cured by
    ensuring the tape heads are clean. Try doing a test backup and seeing if you
    can restore from this.

    Had another thought - is your drive reporting any errors (usually a flashing
    yellow led)?. If so try turning it off (if external). Certain makes of
    drives keep an internal record of the errors that have occurred and if these
    exceed a certain threshold, then it will continually report a warning.

    Also try unloading and then loading BE Mgr.

    If all else fails you could down and restart the server....

    Anyway, hope this helps.

    "Roger Hotz" wrote in message news:3ae092b5$1@hronntp01....

    > I have Backup Exec for Netware 8. I have made semi-annual backups of our

    company
    > data, in case we need to recover files from certain time periods. Today I
    > had a request for a file from 1999, so I got out the semi-annual and tried
    > to catalog it. I got a message saying "Tape Unrecognized". Got that

    message
    > on a couple of other semi-annuals. Got the same message when trying to

    inventory
    > the tapes. How can this be? This is the same tape drive and software used
    > to make the tapes. There were no errors reports when the tapes were made.
    > Now they are unrecognized? We now essentially have no backups for those

    time
    > periods. This is NOT good. I was reading another message in this group

    saying
    > "Why is this backup suite so problematic. I cannot trust it after this."
    > Amen to that. If you cannot trust your backup, you have a big problem.

    Help!

    > Thanks

+ Reply to Thread