Win2k client with Backup Exec 8.5 for netware - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Win2k client with Backup Exec 8.5 for netware - Veritas Backup Exec ; We have Backup Exec 8.5 for netware on a Netware 5.1 Server. The client works fine with Windows 9x but when we try to launch it with a Windows 2000 Pro SP1 client computer, we get the message: Unable to ...

  1. Win2k client with Backup Exec 8.5 for netware

    We have Backup Exec 8.5 for netware on a Netware 5.1 Server.
    The client works fine with Windows 9x but when we try to launch it with a
    Windows 2000 Pro SP1 client computer, we get the message:

    Unable to connect to any server. OK ?

    When we click OK, the Backup Exec client exit.

    Any idea ?

    Thanks very much per advance.

  2. Re: Win2k client with Backup Exec 8.5 for netware

    Devillard Fred wrote:

    > We have Backup Exec 8.5 for netware on a Netware 5.1 Server.
    > The client works fine with Windows 9x but when we try to launch it with a
    > Windows 2000 Pro SP1 client computer, we get the message:
    >
    > Unable to connect to any server. OK ?
    >
    > When we click OK, the Backup Exec client exit.
    >
    > Any idea ?
    >
    > Thanks very much per advance.

    Which file did you download and install?

    --
    Bruce K
    (Please post reply to newsgroup and

  3. Re: Win2k client with Backup Exec 8.5 for netware

    Bruce K wrote:
    >Devillard Fred wrote:
    >>
    >> We have Backup Exec 8.5 for netware on a Netware 5.1 Server.
    >> The client works fine with Windows 9x but when we try to launch it with

    >> Windows 2000 Pro SP1 client computer, we get the message:
    >>
    >> Unable to connect to any server. OK ?
    >>
    >> When we click OK, the Backup Exec client exit.
    >>
    >> Any idea ?
    >>
    >> Thanks very much per advance.

    >Which file did you download and install?
    >
    >--
    >Bruce K
    >(Please post reply to newsgroup and
    > please fix return address if responding directly via e-mail)

    I had this exact same problem. We fixed it by re-installing Novell's Client32.
    Veritas tech support feels that the Novell client does not install all of
    the necessary files upon the first install and a reinstall (right on top
    of the first install, WITHOUT an un-install) will add the necessary files.

    I was skeptical, but it worked! You can't argue with success. Hopefully
    that will fix your problem as well.

    Remember also that the BE Client requires IPX/SPX to function. So make sure
    when you install the Novell client that you select both IP and IPX, and that
    you have both bound to the server. (I believe BE 9 will support an IP-only
    environment).

    Good luck!
    Marlo Montanaro, CNE5

  4. Re: Win2k client with Backup Exec 8.5 for netware

    Are you using the single server version of BE? If so, this doesn't support
    W2K clients - even tho you are only using the 1 server. Could try publishing
    a drive from a 9x computer which maps to a W2k machine. You don't get any of
    the fancy W2k bits backed up, but at least it is backing something up.

    "Devillard Fred" wrote in message

    > We have Backup Exec 8.5 for netware on a Netware 5.1 Server.
    > The client works fine with Windows 9x but when we try to launch it with a
    > Windows 2000 Pro SP1 client computer, we get the message:
    >
    > Unable to connect to any server. OK ?
    >
    > When we click OK, the Backup Exec client exit.
    >
    > Any idea ?
    >
    > Thanks very much per advance.

  5. Re: Win2k client with Backup Exec 8.5 for netware

    windows client doesn´t find any netware server to connect to? Make sure the
    server on which backupexec is running is your primary connection

+ Reply to Thread