SMS errors- restore of cluster volume - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on SMS errors- restore of cluster volume - Veritas Backup Exec ; Novell 5.1 w/ SP2a (on all servers) BackupExec 8.5 NWCS 1.01 w/ SP1 Compaq SAN Files restore with the correct rights, but always get the message: “Begin Novell SMS errors: {date} The program cannot set directory characteristics for volume:directory End ...

  1. SMS errors- restore of cluster volume

    Novell 5.1 w/ SP2a (on all servers)
    BackupExec 8.5
    NWCS 1.01 w/ SP1
    Compaq SAN

    Files restore with the correct rights, but always get the message:

    “Begin Novell SMS errors:
    {date}
    The program cannot set directory characteristics for volume:directory

    End Novell SMS errors.”

    This is a Novell 5.1 server with SP2a running BackupExec 8.5, and backing
    up a Novell 5.1 with NetWare Cluster Services (NWCS). Problem occurs when
    trying to restore files that were backed up from the cluster volume, which
    by definition is also an NSS volume. Get the same message when restoring
    files to SYS: that were backed up from the cluster volume.

    NO messages backing up/restoring SYS:

    NO error messages during the backup of the cluster volume.

    As mentioned before, all files are restored with the correct rights.

  2. Re: SMS errors- restore of cluster volume

    Hi M

    I'm a bit confused. Whyt what kind of volume have you backed up and to which
    volume type do you want to restore ?
    In general it's a problem to restore files from nss to traditional volumes,
    because nss supports more namespaces than traditional volumes and backup
    exec tries to rebuild all namespaces. I.e. NSS has NFS namesapce, but sys
    hasn't. So BE fails to restore to sys because of the missing NFS.

    Regards, Kai

  3. Re: SMS errors- restore of cluster volume

    To clarify, I get this message when restoring files that were backed up from
    the CLUSTER volume, and then restored to the same CLUSTER volume. If I backup
    the files from the CLUSTER volume, and then restore to SYS, I get the same
    error message. If I back up SYS, and restore to either volume, I get no error
    messages.

    So the main issue is that I back up the CLUSTER volume, and when a restore
    is needed back to the CLUSTER volume, I get the error message. As mentioned
    before, all rights and files are restored just fine.

    "Kai Reichert" wrote:
    >Hi M
    >
    >I'm a bit confused. Whyt what kind of volume have you backed up and to which
    >volume type do you want to restore ?
    >In general it's a problem to restore files from nss to traditional volumes,
    >because nss supports more namespaces than traditional volumes and backup
    >exec tries to rebuild all namespaces. I.e. NSS has NFS namesapce, but sys
    >hasn't. So BE fails to restore to sys because of the missing NFS.
    >
    >Regards, Kai

  4. Re: SMS errors- restore of cluster volume

    Are you using the same node to backup and restore ?
    If not you need to catalog the tape again.
    What version is your TSA500.NLM and TSANDS.NLM ?
    What BE version are you using ?

    Regards, Kai

  5. Re: SMS errors- restore of cluster volume

    TSANDS.NLM - v 5.25
    TSA500.NLM - V5.04
    BE - 8.5

    Cheers

    -M

    "Kai Reichert" wrote:
    >Are you using the same node to backup and restore ?
    >If not you need to catalog the tape again.
    >What version is your TSA500.NLM and TSANDS.NLM ?
    >What BE version are you using ?
    >
    >Regards, Kai

  6. Re: SMS errors- restore of cluster volume

    See Veritas Technote 234330

    This problem can be resolved by updating the NSS layout from 34 to 36.

    To update the layout
    1. At the system console type NSS /USERSPACERESTRICTIONS=NSS_Volume
    2. At the system console type NSS /DIRECTORYQUOTAS=NSS_Volume

    Note that no User Space Restrictions or Directory Quotas actually need to
    be created.
    The Novell TID 10057095 details how to enable User Space Restrictions and
    Directory Quotas on NSS volumes.

    "M" wrote:

    >Novell 5.1 w/ SP2a (on all servers)
    >BackupExec 8.5
    >NWCS 1.01 w/ SP1
    >Compaq SAN
    >
    >Files restore with the correct rights, but always get the message:
    >
    >“Begin Novell SMS errors:
    >{date}
    >The program cannot set directory characteristics for volume:directory
    >
    >End Novell SMS errors.”
    >
    >This is a Novell 5.1 server with SP2a running BackupExec 8.5, and backing
    >up a Novell 5.1 with NetWare Cluster Services (NWCS). Problem occurs when
    >trying to restore files that were backed up from the cluster volume, which
    >by definition is also an NSS volume. Get the same message when restoring
    >files to SYS: that were backed up from the cluster volume.
    >
    >NO messages backing up/restoring SYS:
    >
    >NO error messages during the backup of the cluster volume.
    >
    >As mentioned before, all files are restored with the correct rights.

  7. Re: SMS errors- restore of cluster volume

    M,

    Try if TSA5UP5.EXE solves your problem.

    Kai

    "M" wrote:

    > TSANDS.NLM - v 5.25
    > TSA500.NLM - V5.04
    > BE - 8.5
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > -M
    >
    > "Kai Reichert" wrote:
    > >Are you using the same node to backup and restore ?
    > >If not you need to catalog the tape again.
    > >What version is your TSA500.NLM and TSANDS.NLM ?
    > >What BE version are you using ?
    > >
    > >Regards, Kai

+ Reply to Thread