Why, why, why ask for another tape when there's one #@!~ already there? Why? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Why, why, why ask for another tape when there's one #@!~ already there? Why? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Can anyone help... Frequently, when jobs are queued overnight, the first job executes OK, but a following job (could be the 2nd or third etc) asks for tape #2 to be inserted. Our set-up as two DAT drives servicing the ...

  1. Why, why, why ask for another tape when there's one #@!~ already there? Why?

    Can anyone help... Frequently, when jobs are queued overnight, the first
    job executes OK, but a following job (could be the 2nd or third etc) asks
    for tape #2 to be inserted.

    Our set-up as two DAT drives servicing the one partition. Both drives have
    blank tapes in them (blankish - quick erase performed last thing at night
    before backups start), so why does BE ask for a 2nd tape for the following
    backup job - there's one already there? AND, the first tape used still has
    plenty of space left on it.

    If I say no to insert a 2nd tape, and then reschedule the job to start
    again - with no change of tapes - it usually works fine! Sometimes it
    complains again, but after 2 or 3 times it finally accepts that there is
    another tape to use. It's extremely annoying since it holds up all the other
    backup jobs following.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Steve

    steve@universahr.com

  2. Re: Why, why, why ask for another tape when there's one #@!~ already there? Why?

    PS. Netware 4.1, BE 8.5.

  3. Re: Why, why, why ask for another tape when there's one #@!~ already there? Why?

    We have the same problem on NW 5.0 and BE 8.5. Two DAT drives (HP 24i)
    servicing one partition. It seems for us that if there is an error on a
    backup one night then the next night it will do one backup job then it will
    ask for another tape even though there is plenty of room on both tapes.

    Our work-around at this point is: if we have an error on a backup then
    unload/reload BE Job Manager before starting the next set of backups. The
    backup then works and uses both drives.

    Bill C.
    "Steve" wrote in message news:3aa8a5db@hronntp01....
    > Can anyone help... Frequently, when jobs are queued overnight, the first
    > job executes OK, but a following job (could be the 2nd or third etc) asks
    > for tape #2 to be inserted.
    >
    > Our set-up as two DAT drives servicing the one partition. Both drives have
    > blank tapes in them (blankish - quick erase performed last thing at night
    > before backups start), so why does BE ask for a 2nd tape for the following
    > backup job - there's one already there? AND, the first tape used still has
    > plenty of space left on it.
    >
    > If I say no to insert a 2nd tape, and then reschedule the job to start
    > again - with no change of tapes - it usually works fine! Sometimes it
    > complains again, but after 2 or 3 times it finally accepts that there is
    > another tape to use. It's extremely annoying since it holds up all the

    other
    > backup jobs following.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > steve@universahr.com

  4. Re: Why, why, why ask for another tape when there's one #@!~ already there? Why?

    Thanks, Bill.

    Just cleared job history down (doh!), so I can't check to see if the same
    pattern applies, but
    I'll try closing and restarting the manager following each unsuccessful job.

    > > Can anyone help... Frequently, when jobs are queued overnight, the

    first
    > > job executes OK, but a following job (could be the 2nd or third etc)

    asks
    > > for tape #2 to be inserted.
    > >
    > > Our set-up as two DAT drives servicing the one partition. Both drives

    have
    > > blank tapes in them (blankish - quick erase performed last thing at

    night
    > > before backups start), so why does BE ask for a 2nd tape for the

    following
    > > backup job - there's one already there? AND, the first tape used still

    has
    > > plenty of space left on it.
    > >
    > > If I say no to insert a 2nd tape, and then reschedule the job to start
    > > again - with no change of tapes - it usually works fine! Sometimes it
    > > complains again, but after 2 or 3 times it finally accepts that there is
    > > another tape to use. It's extremely annoying since it holds up all the

    > other
    > > backup jobs following.
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks