Re: Drive Failures, SCSI time-outs... - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Re: Drive Failures, SCSI time-outs... - Veritas Backup Exec ; I doubt the brand of backup software has much to do with the lifetime of the drive. My questions are about the HP systems -- how much data are they backing up, and how frequently? If you're hitting the non-HP ...

  1. Re: Drive Failures, SCSI time-outs...

    I doubt the brand of backup software has much to do with the lifetime
    of the drive.

    My questions are about the HP systems -- how much data are they
    backing up, and how frequently? If you're hitting the non-HP drives
    more, they're going to wear out.

    Sure, there could be SCSI settings and cabling problems, but I'm not
    overly familiar with the hardware you're using.

    Also, how often they're cleaned makes a difference.

    We primarily use 8mm backups (Exabyte). I've noticed over the
    years that the drives last a *lot* longer than they used to,
    especially if cleaned when required.

    Finally, considering over the years that Arcserve has been broken
    by Netware upgrades, service packs and clib upgrades at a much
    higher rate than BE, I wouldn't put too much stock in it being
    written better. It took them over a year (at least) to get 5.x
    support working halfway well. There were a lot of ArcServe sites
    trapped with 4.11 systems far longer than they wanted to be.

  2. Re: Drive Failures, SCSI time-outs...

    Not being as familiar with ArcServe, I had no idea of the problems you
    mentioned. I guess that's why we use these forums -- to touch base with
    people with more experience on a given topic.

    I can't see how the HP drives are being used more or less or differently
    than the Seagates - my client base is small to medium sized businesses,
    mostly 5 to 30 user networks. Usually about 3 to 5 GIG of data backed up, 5
    days a week. I've started to believe that the Seagate drives are inferior,
    but don't really have a decent way to gather hard evidence.

    I have one account that has had three Seagate drives fail within a year.
    Who knows, maybe it's just a dirtier environment. My clients are all
    instructed to run the cleaning tape weekly, and while some may not adhere to
    that, I can't believe that so many haven't been cleaning them, as to have
    the failure rate that we do.

    Anyway, I appreciate your response. It seemed to me that a question like
    this could best be answered if I "ask the audience" first. The more people
    I hear from, the more able I'll be to proceed with a constructive method of
    solving our DAT drive failure problems.

    Thanks again.

    --
    Rob Pelletier, CNE MCSE ASE
    London, Ontario

    "Paul Coen" wrote in message
    > I doubt the brand of backup software has much to do with the lifetime
    > of the drive.
    >
    > My questions are about the HP systems -- how much data are they
    > backing up, and how frequently? If you're hitting the non-HP drives
    > more, they're going to wear out.
    >
    > Sure, there could be SCSI settings and cabling problems, but I'm not
    > overly familiar with the hardware you're using.
    >
    > Also, how often they're cleaned makes a difference.
    >
    > We primarily use 8mm backups (Exabyte). I've noticed over the
    > years that the drives last a *lot* longer than they used to,
    > especially if cleaned when required.
    >
    > Finally, considering over the years that Arcserve has been broken
    > by Netware upgrades, service packs and clib upgrades at a much
    > higher rate than BE, I wouldn't put too much stock in it being
    > written better. It took them over a year (at least) to get 5.x
    > support working halfway well. There were a lot of ArcServe sites
    > trapped with 4.11 systems far longer than they wanted to be.

  3. Re: Drive Failures, SCSI time-outs...

    I am having the exact same problem, although I am beginning to believe that
    it is not hardware related. We have a couple of seagate drives 12/24's running
    be 8.0/8.5 that constantly get timeouts. we have changed the drives, and
    controllers to no avail. If the seagates are old, there is a firmware upgrade
    to 743B that cures A LOT of problems, but not all apparently. I am thinking
    of calling veritas at this point, perhaps they know more than they post on
    the web. If you come accross anything else, let me know

    Richie
    Richie@hocsinc.com
    "Rob Pelletier" wrote:
    >Not being as familiar with ArcServe, I had no idea of the problems you
    >mentioned. I guess that's why we use these forums -- to touch base with
    >people with more experience on a given topic.
    >
    >I can't see how the HP drives are being used more or less or differently
    >than the Seagates - my client base is small to medium sized businesses,
    >mostly 5 to 30 user networks. Usually about 3 to 5 GIG of data backed up,

    5
    >days a week. I've started to believe that the Seagate drives are inferior,
    >but don't really have a decent way to gather hard evidence.
    >
    >I have one account that has had three Seagate drives fail within a year.
    >Who knows, maybe it's just a dirtier environment. My clients are all
    >instructed to run the cleaning tape weekly, and while some may not adhere

    >that, I can't believe that so many haven't been cleaning them, as to have
    >the failure rate that we do.
    >
    >Anyway, I appreciate your response. It seemed to me that a question like
    >this could best be answered if I "ask the audience" first. The more people
    >I hear from, the more able I'll be to proceed with a constructive method

    of
    >solving our DAT drive failure problems.
    >
    >Thanks again.
    >

    >--
    >Rob Pelletier, CNE MCSE ASE
    >London, Ontario
    >rrpellet@home.com
    >

    >"Paul Coen" wrote in message
    >> I doubt the brand of backup software has much to do with the lifetime
    >> of the drive.
    >>
    >> My questions are about the HP systems -- how much data are they
    >> backing up, and how frequently? If you're hitting the non-HP drives
    >> more, they're going to wear out.
    >>
    >> Sure, there could be SCSI settings and cabling problems, but I'm not
    >> overly familiar with the hardware you're using.
    >>
    >> Also, how often they're cleaned makes a difference.
    >>
    >> We primarily use 8mm backups (Exabyte). I've noticed over the
    >> years that the drives last a *lot* longer than they used to,
    >> especially if cleaned when required.
    >>
    >> Finally, considering over the years that Arcserve has been broken
    >> by Netware upgrades, service packs and clib upgrades at a much
    >> higher rate than BE, I wouldn't put too much stock in it being
    >> written better. It took them over a year (at least) to get 5.x
    >> support working halfway well. There were a lot of ArcServe sites
    >> trapped with 4.11 systems far longer than they wanted to be.

  4. Re: Drive Failures, SCSI time-outs...

    I talked to Seagate today. They don't like Sony data or cleaning
    cartridges.
    That's we've been using! Have to try switching -- they prefer Fuji, Maxell,
    or Seagate.

    Rob P.

    "Richie" wrote in message news:3aa668a4$1@hronntp01....

> [...]

    > >> My questions are about the HP systems -- how much data are they
    > >> backing up, and how frequently? If you're hitting the non-HP drives
    > >> more, they're going to wear out.
    > >>
    > >> Sure, there could be SCSI settings and cabling problems, but I'm not
    > >> overly familiar with the hardware you're using.
    > >>
    > >> Also, how often they're cleaned makes a difference.
    > >>
    > >> We primarily use 8mm backups (Exabyte). I've noticed over the
    > >> years that the drives last a *lot* longer than they used to,
    > >> especially if cleaned when required.
    > >>
    > >> Finally, considering over the years that Arcserve has been broken
    > >> by Netware upgrades, service packs and clib upgrades at a much
    > >> higher rate than BE, I wouldn't put too much stock in it being
    > >> written better. It took them over a year (at least) to get 5.x
    > >> support working halfway well. There were a lot of ArcServe sites
    > >> trapped with 4.11 systems far longer than they wanted to be.

  5. Re: Drive Failures, SCSI time-outs...

    "Richie" wrote:
    >I am having the exact same problem, although I am beginning
    >to believe that it is not hardware related. We have a
    >couple of seagate drives 12/24's running be 8.0/8.5 that
    >constantly get timeouts.

    Interestingly, I've got two identical systems with 12/24s and 8.5.
    I've got another (almost identical) system that is 6-8 months older
    than those two with a 12/24 and v.8. I *don't* get the timeouts on
    the 8 system, but I get them *every* week on the v8.5 systems.

    I'm beginning to seriously think there's a problem in v8.5.

  6. Re: Drive Failures, SCSI time-outs...

    The particular system I am talking about (ie the loudest client at the moment)
    had 8.0, we upgradred to 8.5 (and switched the drive for that matter)in one
    effort to solve the problem. I do believe that sometime in the near future
    seagate will come out with a new firmware. I think they changed something
    in the newer drives, and v 743B is having problems with it. If you do not
    have 743B (run bediag and check) call seagate and get the upgrade, youre
    problems will disappear
    "Ken Wagner" wrote:

    >"Richie" wrote:
    >>I am having the exact same problem, although I am beginning
    >>to believe that it is not hardware related. We have a
    >>couple of seagate drives 12/24's running be 8.0/8.5 that
    >>constantly get timeouts.

    >Interestingly, I've got two identical systems with 12/24s and 8.5.
    >I've got another (almost identical) system that is 6-8 months older
    >than those two with a 12/24 and v.8. I *don't* get the timeouts on
    >the 8 system, but I get them *every* week on the v8.5 systems.
    >
    >I'm beginning to seriously think there's a problem in v8.5.

  7. Re: Drive Failures, SCSI time-outs...

    > > I am having the exact same problem, although I am beginning to believe

    > that
    > > it is not hardware related. We have a couple of seagate drives 12/24's

    > running
    > > be 8.0/8.5 that constantly get timeouts. we have changed the drives,

    and
    > > controllers to no avail. If the seagates are old, there is a firmware

    > upgrade
    > > to 743B that cures A LOT of problems, but not all apparently. I am

    > thinking
    > > of calling veritas at this point, perhaps they know more than they post

    on
    > > the web. If you come accross anything else, let me know
    > >
    > > Richie
    > > Richie@hocsinc.com
    > > "Rob Pelletier" wrote:
    > > >Not being as familiar with ArcServe, I had no idea of the problems you
    > > >mentioned. I guess that's why we use these forums -- to touch base

    with
    > > >people with more experience on a given topic.
    > > >
    > > >I can't see how the HP drives are being used more or less or

    differently
    > > >than the Seagates - my client base is small to medium sized businesses,
    > > >mostly 5 to 30 user networks. Usually about 3 to 5 GIG of data backed

    > up,
    > > 5
    > > >days a week. I've started to believe that the Seagate drives are

    > inferior,
    > > >but don't really have a decent way to gather hard evidence.
    > > >
    > > >I have one account that has had three Seagate drives fail within a

    year.
    > > >Who knows, maybe it's just a dirtier environment. My clients are all
    > > >instructed to run the cleaning tape weekly, and while some may not

    adhere
    > > >that, I can't believe that so many haven't been cleaning them, as to

    have
    > > >the failure rate that we do.
    > > >
    > > >Anyway, I appreciate your response. It seemed to me that a question

    like
    > > >this could best be answered if I "ask the audience" first. The more

    > people
    > > >I hear from, the more able I'll be to proceed with a constructive

    method
    > > of
    > > >solving our DAT drive failure problems.
    > > >
    > > >Thanks again.
    > > >

    > > >--
    > > >Rob Pelletier, CNE MCSE ASE
    > > >London, Ontario
    > > >rrpellet@home.com
    > > >

    > > >"Paul Coen" wrote in message

  8. Re: Drive Failures, SCSI time-outs...

    Did they happen to mention or have you heard anything about Sony SDT-9000
    Drives I have sent four of them back in the last 6 months. I thought it was
    a software issue so I switched from Arcserve 6.6 to Veritas but now I am
    getting this SCSI bus timeout problem.

+ Reply to Thread