BE8.5 w/ GroupWise - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE8.5 w/ GroupWise - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am going to set up BackupExec on a NetWare 5.1 SP2a Server, which runs GroupWise on it. What do I have to expect? are there any "Add ons" that i have to install, or should the Open File Option ...

  1. BE8.5 w/ GroupWise

    I am going to set up BackupExec on a NetWare 5.1 SP2a Server, which runs
    GroupWise on it. What do I have to expect? are there any "Add ons" that i
    have to install, or should the Open File Option work with it?Are there any
    known problems that will occure?

    thanx

    Philipp Mueller

  2. Re: BE8.5 w/ GroupWise

    The only add-on you really need to get is the Open file option.

    Open file option works great with the groupwise setup. There is some tweaks
    and configurations that you may have to make to keep things going smoothly.
    This would be things like the cache file size and location. Read the manual!
    Once everything is set right, it runs great.

  3. Re: BE8.5 w/ GroupWise

    I would be very careful with the open file option. I know some say it's
    great, but it has done nothing but cause problems here. Yes I have read the
    manual and I have spent several months with Veritas trying to resolve this
    issue. It caused my Dell 1300 server to run extremely slow. CPU
    utilization was always very low, but dirty cache buffers would soar.
    Backups were painfully slow. I was getting 4 meg a minute on a DLT 2000XT
    drive.

    Veritas told me that the OFO does cause problems with NetWare volumes
    sometimes. I was told that I was lucky because most people that experience
    this problem lose their volume and have to start from scratch. The
    resolution was to uninstall OFO and doesn't use it. I always forget the
    techsupport creed, "If it don't work, don't use it." For now I have to
    shutdown my GW agents and back it up until I can try St. Bernard or
    something else.

    Back software is supposed to work properly and not create other issues. We
    depend on this software to save our backsides should something go wrong.
    Time to go looking at backup software again.

    Philipp Mueller wrote in message
    > I am going to set up BackupExec on a NetWare 5.1 SP2a Server, which runs
    > GroupWise on it. What do I have to expect? are there any "Add ons" that i
    > have to install, or should the Open File Option work with it?Are there any
    > known problems that will occure?
    >
    > thanx
    >
    > Philipp Mueller

  4. Re: BE8.5 w/ GroupWise

    We currently have BE8.5 enterprise running on nw5.1 sp2a in it's own tree.
    When we backup groupwise 5.5e we use a command from within toolbox.nlm to
    execute a grpdown.ncf and grpwise.ncf files on the remote server to shutdown
    groupwise, backup the files, then restart groupwise. We had no luck when
    trying to get the open file option to work. The best way to ensure a full
    backup is to shut groupwise down for a bit and back it up full. Hope that
    helps. e-mail me if you need any help with the toolbox syntax.

    Jim Shanks
    Corporate LAN Administration
    Iowa Foundation for Medical Care
    jshanks@ifmc.org

    Philipp Mueller wrote:

    > I am going to set up BackupExec on a NetWare 5.1 SP2a Server, which runs
    > GroupWise on it. What do I have to expect? are there any "Add ons" that i
    > have to install, or should the Open File Option work with it?Are there any
    > known problems that will occure?
    >
    > thanx
    >
    > Philipp Mueller

+ Reply to Thread