TL891 and Compaq SCSI 3 HBA- No Joy! - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on TL891 and Compaq SCSI 3 HBA- No Joy! - Veritas Backup Exec ; Has anyone succeded in making this connection over a SCSI Cable. We have a TL891 with library module at SCSI ID 0 and single DLT tape drive at SCSI ID 4 connected to Compaq Proliant 3000 through Dual Ultra SCSI ...

  1. TL891 and Compaq SCSI 3 HBA- No Joy!

    Has anyone succeded in making this connection over a SCSI Cable.

    We have a TL891 with library module at SCSI ID 0 and single DLT
    tape drive at SCSI ID 4 connected to Compaq Proliant 3000 through
    Dual Ultra SCSI Host Adapter (Compaq P/N 157299-B21) and Compaq
    cable (P/N 110941-001) - all parts recommended by Compaq Tech
    Support. The ProLiant recognizes the TL891 at the BIOS level
    (System Config Utility) and reports appropriately. BackupExec
    v8.5 in NW 5.1 environment chokes and refuses to load with red
    error screen reporting device driver load as being unsuccessful.

    I'm tearing out the remainder of my hair (I'm bald!). Any ideas?
    Thanks. -- Rick

  2. Re: TL891 and Compaq SCSI 3 HBA- No Joy!

    "Rick Pringle" wrote:

    >Has anyone succeded in making this connection over a SCSI Cable.
    >
    >We have a TL891 with library module at SCSI ID 0 and single DLT
    >tape drive at SCSI ID 4 connected to Compaq Proliant 3000 through
    >Dual Ultra SCSI Host Adapter (Compaq P/N 157299-B21) and Compaq
    >cable (P/N 110941-001) - all parts recommended by Compaq Tech
    >Support. The ProLiant recognizes the TL891 at the BIOS level
    >(System Config Utility) and reports appropriately. BackupExec
    >v8.5 in NW 5.1 environment chokes and refuses to load with red
    >error screen reporting device driver load as being unsuccessful.
    >
    >I'm tearing out the remainder of my hair (I'm bald!). Any ideas?
    >Thanks. -- Rick

    Problem solved. I "went back to basics" and checked all my
    connections - had a bent pin on the short jumper cable between
    "library out" and "DLT 0 in". All this after 3 days of misery!
    Lesson learned: try the simple things first (Occam's Razor).
    -- Rick

  3. Re: TL891 and Compaq SCSI 3 HBA- No Joy!

    Rick, have you applied NetWare 5.1 SP2? This has a new version of Nwaspi.cdm
    that may cure your problem.

    "Rick Pringle" wrote:

    >Has anyone succeded in making this connection over a SCSI Cable.
    >
    >We have a TL891 with library module at SCSI ID 0 and single DLT
    >tape drive at SCSI ID 4 connected to Compaq Proliant 3000 through
    >Dual Ultra SCSI Host Adapter (Compaq P/N 157299-B21) and Compaq
    >cable (P/N 110941-001) - all parts recommended by Compaq Tech
    >Support. The ProLiant recognizes the TL891 at the BIOS level
    >(System Config Utility) and reports appropriately. BackupExec
    >v8.5 in NW 5.1 environment chokes and refuses to load with red
    >error screen reporting device driver load as being unsuccessful.
    >
    >I'm tearing out the remainder of my hair (I'm bald!). Any ideas?
    >Thanks. -- Rick

  4. Re: TL891 and Compaq SCSI 3 HBA- No Joy!

    Had any Problems with Firmware 5.11 on the TL891, a downgrade to 4.09 solved
    my Problems.

    "DerrickL" wrote:

    >Rick, have you applied NetWare 5.1 SP2? This has a new version of Nwaspi.cdm
    >that may cure your problem.
    >

    >"Rick Pringle" wrote:
    >>
    >>Has anyone succeded in making this connection over a SCSI Cable.
    >>
    >>We have a TL891 with library module at SCSI ID 0 and single DLT
    >>tape drive at SCSI ID 4 connected to Compaq Proliant 3000 through
    >>Dual Ultra SCSI Host Adapter (Compaq P/N 157299-B21) and Compaq
    >>cable (P/N 110941-001) - all parts recommended by Compaq Tech
    >>Support. The ProLiant recognizes the TL891 at the BIOS level
    >>(System Config Utility) and reports appropriately. BackupExec
    >>v8.5 in NW 5.1 environment chokes and refuses to load with red
    >>error screen reporting device driver load as being unsuccessful.
    >>
    >>I'm tearing out the remainder of my hair (I'm bald!). Any ideas?
    >>Thanks. -- Rick

  5. Re: TL891 and Compaq SCSI 3 HBA- No Joy!

    Hi

    I'm not sure if I can help BUT...

    I have a Compaq MiniLibrary comprising 2 x TL892 and 1 x TL890 connected to
    the servers over a SAN. Also connected are a pair of local DLT drives. I
    can recognise all drives using backup exec V8.5 on NetWare 4.11 SP8.

    when NWASPI is loaded it normally autoloads something like "scsi2tp" - this
    has been removed from our system to make it work properly.

    Try: moving scsi2tp - or whatever the name is to another directory and then
    restart your server. When nwaspi loads, it will provide a message
    autoloading "scsi2tp" but cannot find it.

    Please let me know if this helps.

    Doug Packer

    MaD wrote in message <3a87cc00$1@hronntp01.>...

    >Had any Problems with Firmware 5.11 on the TL891, a downgrade to 4.09

    solved
    >my Problems.
    >

    >"DerrickL" wrote:
    >>
    >>Rick, have you applied NetWare 5.1 SP2? This has a new version of

    Nwaspi.cdm
    >>that may cure your problem.
    >>

    >>"Rick Pringle" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Has anyone succeded in making this connection over a SCSI Cable.
    >>>
    >>>We have a TL891 with library module at SCSI ID 0 and single DLT
    >>>tape drive at SCSI ID 4 connected to Compaq Proliant 3000 through
    >>>Dual Ultra SCSI Host Adapter (Compaq P/N 157299-B21) and Compaq
    >>>cable (P/N 110941-001) - all parts recommended by Compaq Tech
    >>>Support. The ProLiant recognizes the TL891 at the BIOS level
    >>>(System Config Utility) and reports appropriately. BackupExec
    >>>v8.5 in NW 5.1 environment chokes and refuses to load with red
    >>>error screen reporting device driver load as being unsuccessful.
    >>>
    >>>I'm tearing out the remainder of my hair (I'm bald!). Any ideas?
    >>>Thanks. -- Rick

+ Reply to Thread