Switching Servers - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Switching Servers - Veritas Backup Exec ; We are currently running our BENW 8.5 on one of our 4.11 servers. this server is somewhat overtaxed and I want to move the back-up responsibilities to a new, more robust NW 5.1 server. I would like to maintain the ...

  1. Switching Servers

    We are currently running our BENW 8.5 on one of our 4.11 servers. this server
    is somewhat overtaxed and I want to move the back-up responsibilities to
    a new, more robust NW 5.1 server. I would like to maintain the back-up tape
    history. Can I simply uninstall the software on the 4.11 server, more the
    Quantum DTL IV tape drive, install the software on the 5.1 server, and copy
    the Bkupexec\Catalogs & History folders from the old server to the new installation?
    Or, are there some "gatcha's" that I need to be aware of?

    TIA, John

  2. Re: Switching Servers

    Yes, the catalogs can be moved with no associated problems. Why move the
    Job History? If the job completed normal, it is useless, and if there was
    an error status, once you know and fix the error, they are useless - they
    are not needed for restores, only the catalogs are.

    "John Namias" wrote:

    >We are currently running our BENW 8.5 on one of our 4.11 servers. this

    server
    >is somewhat overtaxed and I want to move the back-up responsibilities to
    >a new, more robust NW 5.1 server. I would like to maintain the back-up

    tape
    >history. Can I simply uninstall the software on the 4.11 server, more the
    >Quantum DTL IV tape drive, install the software on the 5.1 server, and copy
    >the Bkupexec\Catalogs & History folders from the old server to the new installation?
    > Or, are there some "gatcha's" that I need to be aware of?
    >
    >TIA, John

  3. Re: Switching Servers

    Point well taken. My main convern was going from a NW 4.11 server to a NW 5.1 server as
    "host" to BENW. I'm assuming that once I complete the installation on the 5.1 server,
    move the catalogs, and recreate the schedule that everything will be great. (I have no
    idea what the icon for knocking on wood would be, so consider it done).

    Many thanks for your reply.
    John

    helper wrote:

    > Yes, the catalogs can be moved with no associated problems. Why move the
    > Job History? If the job completed normal, it is useless, and if there was
    > an error status, once you know and fix the error, they are useless - they
    > are not needed for restores, only the catalogs are.
    >
    > "John Namias" wrote:
    > >
    > >We are currently running our BENW 8.5 on one of our 4.11 servers. this

    > server
    > >is somewhat overtaxed and I want to move the back-up responsibilities to
    > >a new, more robust NW 5.1 server. I would like to maintain the back-up

    > tape
    > >history. Can I simply uninstall the software on the 4.11 server, more the
    > >Quantum DTL IV tape drive, install the software on the 5.1 server, and copy
    > >the Bkupexec\Catalogs & History folders from the old server to the new installation?
    > > Or, are there some "gatcha's" that I need to be aware of?
    > >
    > >TIA, John

+ Reply to Thread