NW5.0 / BE 8.5 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on NW5.0 / BE 8.5 - Veritas Backup Exec ; This is the situation: I have a Compaq DeskPro/Celeron 300/256-MB ram,3Com 980 Nic, PCI video card, Seagate SCSI drive / Adaptec 3940 controller / Ecrix VHA1 tape drive, the tape drive and HD on separate channels. Have installed the latest ...

  1. NW5.0 / BE 8.5

    This is the situation:
    I have a Compaq DeskPro/Celeron 300/256-MB ram,3Com 980 Nic, PCI video
    card, Seagate SCSI drive / Adaptec 3940 controller / Ecrix VHA1 tape drive,
    the tape drive and HD on separate channels. Have installed the latest driver
    for
    the controller, updated the bios. I am using NW 5.0 patched with the latest
    build sp5. Am trying to use BackUp Exec 8.5 because that is the only version
    compatible with the tape drive. Every time I install bkupexec and run for
    the
    first time, it abends the server 2-3 times and wont mount sys:\.Theres a
    patch
    for the backup software, but cant apply it for the same reason(no sys:\).Tried
    patching it before running for the first time, tried re-applying sp5 over
    the
    patched backup....cant think of any other options as of now. Could this
    be a
    Compaq issue? I've been told not to apply any NSSD over NW by Seagate
    techs.Has anyone had similar problems and found a solution?

  2. Re: NW5.0 / BE 8.5

    I assumje you really mean an Ecrix VXA-1 drive - If you don't you have a problem
    because the above is the only Ecrix drive that is supported.

    I don't know who told you not to apply COMPAQ NSSD patches over Netware patches
    at Seagate, but they are WRONG !!!!!

    You MUST apply COMPAQ NSSD Patches selecting to always downgrade files if
    necessary on COMPAQ Servers, or you can have ABENDS, COMMUNICATION Problems,
    etc. There are TIDs on COMPAQ and Netware's Sites to this affect.

    "R.Desrosiers" wrote:

    >This is the situation:
    > I have a Compaq DeskPro/Celeron 300/256-MB ram,3Com 980 Nic, PCI video
    > card, Seagate SCSI drive / Adaptec 3940 controller / Ecrix VHA1 tape drive,
    > the tape drive and HD on separate channels. Have installed the latest driver
    >for
    > the controller, updated the bios. I am using NW 5.0 patched with the latest
    > build sp5. Am trying to use BackUp Exec 8.5 because that is the only version
    > compatible with the tape drive. Every time I install bkupexec and run for
    >the
    > first time, it abends the server 2-3 times and wont mount sys:\.Theres

    >patch
    > for the backup software, but cant apply it for the same reason(no sys:\).Tried
    > patching it before running for the first time, tried re-applying sp5 over
    >the
    > patched backup....cant think of any other options as of now. Could this
    >be a
    > Compaq issue? I've been told not to apply any NSSD over NW by Seagate
    > techs.Has anyone had similar problems and found a solution?

+ Reply to Thread