BE8.5/NW4.1 - vol dismounts during backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE8.5/NW4.1 - vol dismounts during backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; During the backup of VOL1, the volume dismounts.This happens at different points during the backup (never the same file). It usually takes several runs of VREPAIR to fix the volume. Configuration: NW 4.10 with latest patches (including Y2k) two volumes, ...

  1. BE8.5/NW4.1 - vol dismounts during backup

    During the backup of VOL1, the volume dismounts.This happens at
    different points during the backup (never the same file).
    It usually takes several runs of VREPAIR to fix the volume.
    Configuration: NW 4.10 with latest patches (including Y2k)
    two volumes, SYS is a 2GB drive with 20% free space
    VOL1 is a 2GB drive with 50% free space (has compressed files)
    128MB RAM
    75% cache buffers available

    HISTORY: 1. happens only with full (normal) backups not differential
    backups
    2. Backup of SYS is always successful.Problem occurs only with VOL1.
    3. I changed the backup options so it didn't scan before backing
    up. That seemed to work for a week or two, but then the errors
    started again.
    4. I split the backup into two parts, doing a separate backup of
    SYS and VOL1 each on its own tape. This worked for a couple of
    weeks.
    5. When VOL1 started to crash again, I split the VOL1 backup into
    three components, backing up different numbers of files and
    directories in each backup. This also worked for a while, but
    then the same volume dismount occurred at least once in each of
    the three components, always at a different point in the backup,
    sometimes in a directory with compressed but also in directories
    with no compressed files.
    6. The only NLMs running, other than the basic NW ones, are
    BACKUP EXEC, Connect, and Discport. Unloading Discport didn't
    help. Desperate, I did a surface scan on VOL1 and it is fine.
    During the past six months this has happened with two different
    versions of BE (7.x & 8.5.) I'm now running the .079 (latest)
    update. I've added as much memory as the server can hold. I've
    changed the logging to SYS when I back up VOL1 (and back to VOL1
    when I back up SYS). I've tried downing the server before the
    backup. Each change I've made (adding more memory, upgrading the
    software, changing the logging options, downing the server) has
    worked for 1-3 weeks and then the problem begins again. This is a
    stable server environment that hasn't changed in years (except
    for the Y2k updates). There have been no hardware changes (other
    than the new memory), no new NLMs installed.

    I've run out of ideas.

    Diane

  2. Re: BE8.5/NW4.1 - vol dismounts during backup

    Hi Diane:

    I went through this same type of problem with a new Dell Power Edge 2400
    running Novell 5.0 and BE 8.5. From day one and about every 8th night thereafter
    we had a dismount of one or the other of our two non-sys volumes. They would
    not remount without rebooting the server and we never had to run either dsrepair
    or vrepair. All other software in the office worked perfectly with no instances
    of errors. I couldn't understand why BE worked perfectly for 7 nights and
    failed on the 8th. Dell insisted that it was a BE software problem. I did
    all of the BE updates and all of the Novell updates without success. I also
    reconfigured IRQ's and did a variety of other things without success. Finally,
    after 5 months, I forced Dell to send me a special server diagnostic utility
    to check the hardware. 2 minutes into the memory test the server went black
    screen and rebooted itself. The same thing happened during 2 more tests.
    Finally, the solution.

    The memory chip in slot 1 looked to be clipped in and seated perfectly.
    Dell had me remove and reseat it. Since then I have had 40 successful backups
    without false corrupt file error reports and with no dismounts. We do full
    backup every night and I believe, during that process, BE reaches out to
    use all possible available memory.

    I suggest you try to reseat all of the memory chips. Mine were loose out
    of manufacture. Yours may have loosened up over time.

    Bill

    "ddoubled" <70020.645@compuserve.com> wrote:

    >During the backup of VOL1, the volume dismounts.This happens at
    >different points during the backup (never the same file).
    >It usually takes several runs of VREPAIR to fix the volume.
    > Configuration: NW 4.10 with latest patches (including Y2k)
    > two volumes, SYS is a 2GB drive with 20% free space
    > VOL1 is a 2GB drive with 50% free space (has compressed files)
    > 128MB RAM
    > 75% cache buffers available
    >
    >HISTORY: 1. happens only with full (normal) backups not differential
    >backups
    >2. Backup of SYS is always successful.Problem occurs only with VOL1.
    >3. I changed the backup options so it didn't scan before backing
    >up. That seemed to work for a week or two, but then the errors
    >started again.
    >4. I split the backup into two parts, doing a separate backup of
    >SYS and VOL1 each on its own tape. This worked for a couple of
    >weeks.
    >5. When VOL1 started to crash again, I split the VOL1 backup into
    >three components, backing up different numbers of files and
    >directories in each backup. This also worked for a while, but
    >then the same volume dismount occurred at least once in each of
    >the three components, always at a different point in the backup,
    >sometimes in a directory with compressed but also in directories
    >with no compressed files.
    >6. The only NLMs running, other than the basic NW ones, are
    >BACKUP EXEC, Connect, and Discport. Unloading Discport didn't
    >help. Desperate, I did a surface scan on VOL1 and it is fine.
    > During the past six months this has happened with two different
    >versions of BE (7.x & 8.5.) I'm now running the .079 (latest)
    >update. I've added as much memory as the server can hold. I've
    >changed the logging to SYS when I back up VOL1 (and back to VOL1
    >when I back up SYS). I've tried downing the server before the
    >backup. Each change I've made (adding more memory, upgrading the
    >software, changing the logging options, downing the server) has
    >worked for 1-3 weeks and then the problem begins again. This is a
    >stable server environment that hasn't changed in years (except
    >for the Y2k updates). There have been no hardware changes (other
    >than the new memory), no new NLMs installed.
    >
    >I've run out of ideas.
    >

    >Diane

+ Reply to Thread