BE 8.5 install on NW5 updating files - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE 8.5 install on NW5 updating files - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, The BE 8.5 install process offered to upgrade system files on our NW5 server with SP4. I said ok, but on the next boot I got a series of "Fatal errors" that killed the server. I had to re-install ...

  1. BE 8.5 install on NW5 updating files

    Hi,
    The BE 8.5 install process offered to upgrade system files on
    our NW5 server with SP4.
    I said ok, but on the next boot I got a series of "Fatal errors"
    that killed the server. I had to re-install everything. I re-installed
    BE 8.5 but declined the offer to upgrade system files. BE won't
    run. I get an error message about out-of-date NLM's.
    The files in question seem to be:
    nwpa.nlm
    vollib.nlm
    nwidk.nlm
    mm.nlm

    Has anyone had a similar experience?

    regards

  2. Re: BE 8.5 install on NW5 updating files

    Hi Johannes,

    Yes we had exactly the same experience after sp4a and OS5sp4 had been
    applied. However in our case the only NLM which came up as out of date was
    the filesys.nlm (bit strange really as the version already installed was
    later than the version BE was trying to install). Anyhow to resolve the
    situation we let BE overwrite the existing file and then copied back the
    original over the file BE had installed and all was then well. Incidentally
    I lodged an email support request with Veritas over this issue a week ago
    but have not had any response.

    Rod Harrison

    "Johannes Ambrose" wrote in message

    > Hi,
    > The BE 8.5 install process offered to upgrade system files on
    > our NW5 server with SP4.
    > I said ok, but on the next boot I got a series of "Fatal errors"
    > that killed the server. I had to re-install everything. I re-installed
    > BE 8.5 but declined the offer to upgrade system files. BE won't
    > run. I get an error message about out-of-date NLM's.
    > The files in question seem to be:
    > nwpa.nlm
    > vollib.nlm
    > nwidk.nlm
    > mm.nlm
    >
    > Has anyone had a similar experience?
    >
    > regards

  3. Re: BE 8.5 install on NW5 updating files

    Rod,

    What you do is tell it to go ahead and upgrade the file, which is then placed
    in the C:\NWSERVER directory. Now, BEFORE you reboot the server, you go in and
    delete/rename the file, so that the one that is used is the internal one that
    Netware installs, and everything will work fine.

    I went through the re-install of Netware route until I finally figured out this
    way to fool the BE Install, and have applied it to a number of servers with
    100% success.

    Shivaji

    Rod Harrison wrote:

    > Hi Johannes,
    >
    > Yes we had exactly the same experience after sp4a and OS5sp4 had been
    > applied. However in our case the only NLM which came up as out of date was
    > the filesys.nlm (bit strange really as the version already installed was
    > later than the version BE was trying to install). Anyhow to resolve the
    > situation we let BE overwrite the existing file and then copied back the
    > original over the file BE had installed and all was then well. Incidentally
    > I lodged an email support request with Veritas over this issue a week ago
    > but have not had any response.
    >
    > Rod Harrison
    >
    > "Johannes Ambrose" wrote in message
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > > The BE 8.5 install process offered to upgrade system files on
    > > our NW5 server with SP4.
    > > I said ok, but on the next boot I got a series of "Fatal errors"
    > > that killed the server. I had to re-install everything. I re-installed
    > > BE 8.5 but declined the offer to upgrade system files. BE won't
    > > run. I get an error message about out-of-date NLM's.
    > > The files in question seem to be:
    > > nwpa.nlm
    > > vollib.nlm
    > > nwidk.nlm