Validating External References - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Validating External References - Veritas Backup Exec ; Does anyone know what the message "validating external references" means? This message appears during bootup of our Netware 5 server, and we think it may have something to do with why our backup software isn't working....

  1. Validating External References

    Does anyone know what the message "validating external references" means?
    This message appears during bootup of our Netware 5 server, and we think
    it may have something to do with why our backup software isn't working.

  2. Re: Validating External References

    Hi Scott,

    Did you ever get any response to this post? I have the same problem on one
    of my servers. It hangs on that line and won't finish loading. It doesn't
    seem to matter who I am logged in as either. Any suggestions?
    thanks

    "Scott" wrote:

    >Does anyone know what the message "validating external references" means?
    >This message appears during bootup of our Netware 5 server, and we think
    >it may have something to do with why our backup software isn't working.

  3. Re: Validating External References

    External references are kept in NDS for objects that are not on a local partition
    (Think of the as individual temporary alias objects). What it does is makes
    sure that those objects actually still exist out there in NDS. If it is unable
    to communicate with a server that can verify this, it will cause a delay
    and possibly hang. Look for document 188841 in the netware section.

    The easiest way to resolve this is to run some basic health checks with NDS.
    or force the NDS synchronization.
    SET DSTRACE=ON
    SET DSTRACE=
    SET DSTRACE=*ss
    SET DSTRACE=*H
    SET DSTRACE=*B
    SET DSTRACE=*L
    SET DSTRACE=*F

    Will force a schema synchronization, and a heartbeat with NDS to make sure
    the servers are getting into synch instead of waiting the default times.
    If that doesnt work, you may want look into NDS and make sure time sync is
    fine and the DS versions are all the same (4.x servers same number, 5.x servers
    same number)

    The login part is for the netware client, which is seperate from the job
    manager piece. You can login to the netware client without having the job
    manager load up.

  4. Re: Validating External References

    "Stephen" wrote:

    >External references are kept in NDS for objects that are not on a local

    partition
    >(Think of the as individual temporary alias objects). What it does is makes
    >sure that those objects actually still exist out there in NDS. If it is

    unable
    >to communicate with a server that can verify this, it will cause a delay
    >and possibly hang. Look for document 188841 in the netware section.
    >
    >The easiest way to resolve this is to run some basic health checks with

    NDS.
    >or force the NDS synchronization.
    >SET DSTRACE=ON
    >SET DSTRACE=
    >SET DSTRACE=*ss
    >SET DSTRACE=*H
    >SET DSTRACE=*B
    >SET DSTRACE=*L
    >SET DSTRACE=*F
    >
    >Will force a schema synchronization, and a heartbeat with NDS to make sure
    >the servers are getting into synch instead of waiting the default times.
    >If that doesnt work, you may want look into NDS and make sure time sync

    is
    >fine and the DS versions are all the same (4.x servers same number, 5.x

    servers
    >same number)
    >
    >The login part is for the netware client, which is seperate from the job
    >manager piece. You can login to the netware client without having the job
    >manager load up.

+ Reply to Thread