Unable to release a catalog lock - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Unable to release a catalog lock - Veritas Backup Exec ; Every time I open the Backup Exec Windows client I get the following errors: "Unable to release a catalog lock." I then click OK and I get the "Admin - Change Backup Server" screen. I click OK and I get ...

  1. Unable to release a catalog lock

    Every time I open the Backup Exec Windows client I get the following errors:

    "Unable to release a catalog lock."
    I then click OK and I get the "Admin - Change Backup Server" screen.
    I click OK and I get "Unable to release a catalog lock."
    I click OK and I get "Error initializing the catalogs."
    I click OK again and the program starts and opens the "Backup Sources" screen.

    Any help on fixing this would be appreciated. Thanks.

  2. Re: Unable to release a catalog lock

    Open the Version.doc in your Server's bkupexec directory - second line down
    - does it say V077 ? Yes - Download the newest build of Backup Exec 8.5
    from the internet and install it. This fixes the problem.

    "Dan Wagner" wrote:

    >Every time I open the Backup Exec Windows client I get the following errors:
    >
    >"Unable to release a catalog lock."
    >I then click OK and I get the "Admin - Change Backup Server" screen.
    >I click OK and I get "Unable to release a catalog lock."
    >I click OK and I get "Error initializing the catalogs."
    >I click OK again and the program starts and opens the "Backup Sources" screen.
    >
    >Any help on fixing this would be appreciated. Thanks.

  3. Re: Unable to release a catalog lock

    When Novell's Service Pack 4 is applied to NetWare 5 or the original NetWare
    5.1 product is used, users of the Windows Client are likely to see an error
    "Unable to release a catalog lock" during initialization.

    If you have applied SP4 and have version 8.5 you must update your besrvr.nlm
    by downloading the latest fix.

    "walt" wrote:

    >Open the Version.doc in your Server's bkupexec directory - second line down
    >- does it say V077 ? Yes - Download the newest build of Backup Exec 8.5
    >from the internet and install it. This fixes the problem.
    >
    >"Dan Wagner" wrote:
    >>
    >>Every time I open the Backup Exec Windows client I get the following errors:
    >>
    >>"Unable to release a catalog lock."
    >>I then click OK and I get the "Admin - Change Backup Server" screen.
    >>I click OK and I get "Unable to release a catalog lock."
    >>I click OK and I get "Error initializing the catalogs."
    >>I click OK again and the program starts and opens the "Backup Sources"

    screen.

    >>Any help on fixing this would be appreciated. Thanks.

  4. Re: Unable to release a catalog lock

    Download and install the following to fix

    http://seer.support.veritas.com/ftp/...psvrup.exe.htm

    "walt" wrote:

    >Open the Version.doc in your Server's bkupexec directory - second line down
    >- does it say V077 ? Yes - Download the newest build of Backup Exec 8.5
    >from the internet and install it. This fixes the problem.
    >
    >"Dan Wagner" wrote:
    >>
    >>Every time I open the Backup Exec Windows client I get the following errors:
    >>
    >>"Unable to release a catalog lock."
    >>I then click OK and I get the "Admin - Change Backup Server" screen.
    >>I click OK and I get "Unable to release a catalog lock."
    >>I click OK and I get "Error initializing the catalogs."
    >>I click OK again and the program starts and opens the "Backup Sources"

    screen.

    >>Any help on fixing this would be appreciated. Thanks.

  5. Re: Unable to release a catalog lock

    Hi,

    I have a similar problem and I have downloaded the patch. In the notes with
    the patch it says it is for v8.0.299 or v8.0.300, my version file contains
    the following infomation:

    BEMGR - 8.0.4123
    BESRVR - 8.0.4131
    Drivers - 9707N021

    NLM Client - 8.0.4111
    Windows Client - 8.0.4116
    Windows NT Agent - 3.201
    Windows 95 Agent - 4.306
    OS2 Agent - 3.204
    DOS Agent - 3.015
    MAC Agent - 4.07
    Unix Agent - 3.400

    Can I still apply the patch?
    Which files should I download to bring my installation up to date?

    Ian Young
    Graphic PLC

    yourhelper wrote in message <38ff46e3@hronntp01.>...

    >Download and install the following to fix
    >
    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/ftp/...psvrup.exe.htm
    >
    >"walt" wrote:
    >>
    >>Open the Version.doc in your Server's bkupexec directory - second line

    down
    >>- does it say V077 ? Yes - Download the newest build of Backup Exec 8.5
    >>from the internet and install it. This fixes the problem.
    >>
    >>"Dan Wagner" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Every time I open the Backup Exec Windows client I get the following

    errors:

    >>>"Unable to release a catalog lock."
    >>>I then click OK and I get the "Admin - Change Backup Server" screen.
    >>>I click OK and I get "Unable to release a catalog lock."
    >>>I click OK and I get "Error initializing the catalogs."
    >>>I click OK again and the program starts and opens the "Backup Sources"

    >screen.
    >>>
    >>>Any help on fixing this would be appreciated. Thanks.

  6. Re: Unable to release a catalog lock

    NO. In the Version.doc, the second line from the top it says Backup Exec
    for Netware Build XXXX - ?Yours is T158, the ones they are referring to
    are T299 or T300.

    Download the B80PEN.EXE file and install build T300, then apply the patch.

    "Ian Young" wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a similar problem and I have downloaded the patch. In the notes with
    >the patch it says it is for v8.0.299 or v8.0.300, my version file contains
    >the following infomation:
    >

    >BEMGR - 8.0.4123
    >BESRVR - 8.0.4131
    >Drivers - 9707N021
    >
    >NLM Client - 8.0.4111
    >Windows Client - 8.0.4116
    >Windows NT Agent - 3.201
    >Windows 95 Agent - 4.306
    >OS2 Agent - 3.204
    >DOS Agent - 3.015
    >MAC Agent - 4.07
    >Unix Agent - 3.400
    >
    >Can I still apply the patch?
    >Which files should I download to bring my installation up to date?
    >
    >Ian Young
    >Graphic PLC
    >
    >yourhelper wrote in message <38ff46e3@hronntp01.>...
    >>
    >>Download and install the following to fix
    >>
    >>http://seer.support.veritas.com/ftp/...psvrup.exe.htm
    >>
    >>"walt" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Open the Version.doc in your Server's bkupexec directory - second line

    >down
    >>>- does it say V077 ? Yes - Download the newest build of Backup Exec 8.5
    >>>from the internet and install it. This fixes the problem.

    >errors:

    >>screen.

  7. Re: Unable to release a catalog lock

    Dear helper,

    Thanks for the advice every thing is now fine.

    Best Regards

    Ian Young

+ Reply to Thread