Groupwise and BE8 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Groupwise and BE8 - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, I am running Netware 4.11, Netware5, Groupwise 5.5.2 on the NW5 server, and BackupExec 8. Netware says that I need to use backup software capable of backing up open files. Does BackupExec 8 do this? I thought that it ...

  1. Groupwise and BE8

    Hello, I am running Netware 4.11, Netware5, Groupwise 5.5.2 on the NW5
    server, and BackupExec 8.

    Netware says that I need to use backup software capable of backing up
    open files. Does BackupExec 8 do this? I thought that it was the good
    choice for backing up NetWare, but I received an error message during
    the backup process.

    Any recommendations on backing up a GroupWise server?

  2. Re: Groupwise and BE8

    We have almost the exact setup except no 4.11 just NW5. With BE8 you need
    to load the open file NLM to be able to backup open files. We do not back
    up the gwpost or gwdomain here because of the whole Microsft court battle
    and email being used against them.
    Jim Hulliberger wrote:
    >Hello, I am running Netware 4.11, Netware5, Groupwise 5.5.2 on the NW5
    >server, and BackupExec 8.
    >
    >Netware says that I need to use backup software capable of backing up
    >open files. Does BackupExec 8 do this? I thought that it was the good
    >choice for backing up NetWare, but I received an error message during
    >the backup process.
    >
    >Any recommendations on backing up a GroupWise server?

  3. Re: Groupwise and BE8

    Jim,

    Sadly you will have to buy more software. You'll need to purchase
    either the Open File Option for BE, or use Open File Manager
    from St. Bernard Software. I use OFM with GroupWise 5.2 on a
    4.11 box with great results. The newest version of OFM works with
    NW 5.x

    -Kai

    Jim Hulliberger wrote:
    >Hello, I am running Netware 4.11, Netware5, Groupwise 5.5.2 on the NW5
    >server, and BackupExec 8.
    >
    >Netware says that I need to use backup software capable of backing up
    >open files. Does BackupExec 8 do this? I thought that it was the good
    >choice for backing up NetWare, but I received an error message during
    >the backup process.
    >
    >Any recommendations on backing up a GroupWise server?

  4. Re: Groupwise and BE8

    So what you are saying is that you prefer not to have your email
    available in the possible event of litigation? That does give a little
    something to think about. What about the possibility of losing valuable
    information in the event of catastrophe?(HDD crash, etc.).

    Jeff Ward wrote:

    > We have almost the exact setup except no 4.11 just NW5. With BE8 you need
    > to load the open file NLM to be able to backup open files. We do not back
    > up the gwpost or gwdomain here because of the whole Microsft court battle
    > and email being used against them.
    > Jim Hulliberger wrote:
    > >Hello, I am running Netware 4.11, Netware5, Groupwise 5.5.2 on the NW5
    > >server, and BackupExec 8.
    > >
    > >Netware says that I need to use backup software capable of backing up
    > >open files. Does BackupExec 8 do this? I thought that it was the good
    > >choice for backing up NetWare, but I received an error message during
    > >the backup process.
    > >
    > >Any recommendations on backing up a GroupWise server?

  5. Re: Groupwise and BE8

    I am currently using GWbackup from Novell to copy the messages and
    whatnot to a separate folder where they can be back'd up. It does not
    help backing up the rest of the server, but at least I can restore
    messsages in the event of a catastrophe. Anyone know what the cost of
    the OFM is? Also, I heard that there is a problem with NW5 and BE8. My
    BE8 is loaded on a 4.11 server and backing up the NW5 fromm across the
    network. Will this be a prob?

    Kai Raab wrote:

    > Jim,
    >
    > Sadly you will have to buy more software. You'll need to purchase
    > either the Open File Option for BE, or use Open File Manager
    > from St. Bernard Software. I use OFM with GroupWise 5.2 on a
    > 4.11 box with great results. The newest version of OFM works with
    > NW 5.x
    >
    > -Kai
    >
    > Jim Hulliberger wrote:
    > >Hello, I am running Netware 4.11, Netware5, Groupwise 5.5.2 on the NW5
    > >server, and BackupExec 8.
    > >
    > >Netware says that I need to use backup software capable of backing up
    > >open files. Does BackupExec 8 do this? I thought that it was the good
    > >choice for backing up NetWare, but I received an error message during
    > >the backup process.
    > >
    > >Any recommendations on backing up a GroupWise server?

  6. Re: Groupwise and BE8

    OFO is 695 MSRP, I think. Your reseller can get discounted pricing for
    you.

    BE8 and NW5 is supported... with a couple of issues. a) no OFO on Netware
    5, and no support for NSS.

    Todd

    "Jim Hulliberger" wrote in message
    > I am currently using GWbackup from Novell to copy the messages and
    > whatnot to a separate folder where they can be back'd up. It does not
    > help backing up the rest of the server, but at least I can restore
    > messsages in the event of a catastrophe. Anyone know what the cost of
    > the OFM is? Also, I heard that there is a problem with NW5 and BE8. My
    > BE8 is loaded on a 4.11 server and backing up the NW5 fromm across the
    > network. Will this be a prob?
    >
    > Kai Raab wrote:
    > >
    > > Jim,
    > >
    > > Sadly you will have to buy more software. You'll need to purchase
    > > either the Open File Option for BE, or use Open File Manager
    > > from St. Bernard Software. I use OFM with GroupWise 5.2 on a
    > > 4.11 box with great results. The newest version of OFM works with
    > > NW 5.x
    > >
    > > -Kai
    > >
    > > Jim Hulliberger wrote:
    > > >Hello, I am running Netware 4.11, Netware5, Groupwise 5.5.2 on the NW5
    > > >server, and BackupExec 8.
    > > >
    > > >Netware says that I need to use backup software capable of backing up
    > > >open files. Does BackupExec 8 do this? I thought that it was the good
    > > >choice for backing up NetWare, but I received an error message during
    > > >the backup process.
    > > >
    > > >Any recommendations on backing up a GroupWise server?

  7. Re: Groupwise and BE8

    Thanks, Todd

    "Todd E. Toles" wrote:

    > OFO is 695 MSRP, I think. Your reseller can get discounted pricing for
    > you.
    >
    > BE8 and NW5 is supported... with a couple of issues. a) no OFO on Netware
    > 5, and no support for NSS.
    >
    > Todd
    >
    > "Jim Hulliberger" wrote in message
    > > I am currently using GWbackup from Novell to copy the messages and
    > > whatnot to a separate folder where they can be back'd up. It does not
    > > help backing up the rest of the server, but at least I can restore
    > > messsages in the event of a catastrophe. Anyone know what the cost of
    > > the OFM is? Also, I heard that there is a problem with NW5 and BE8. My
    > > BE8 is loaded on a 4.11 server and backing up the NW5 fromm across the
    > > network. Will this be a prob?
    > >
    > > Kai Raab wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Jim,
    > > >
    > > > Sadly you will have to buy more software. You'll need to purchase
    > > > either the Open File Option for BE, or use Open File Manager
    > > > from St. Bernard Software. I use OFM with GroupWise 5.2 on a
    > > > 4.11 box with great results. The newest version of OFM works with
    > > > NW 5.x
    > > >
    > > > -Kai

  8. Re: Groupwise and BE8

    Not to mention Oliver North!

    --
    Peter W. Avery

    ____________________________
    Jeff Ward wrote in
    message news:38ad596a@hronntp01....

    > We do not back up the gwpost or gwdomain
    > here because of the whole Microsft court battle
    > and email being used against them.

  9. Re: Groupwise and BE8

    You need to close the groupwise database before taking the backup. It is a
    good idea to use cron.nlm for closing poa and mta. You can also use cron to
    reopen modules.

    Good Luck

    Martin Dallaire
    Network Technician
    Quebectel AMI

    Jeff Ward wrote in message <38ad596a@hronntp01.>...

    >We have almost the exact setup except no 4.11 just NW5. With BE8 you need
    >to load the open file NLM to be able to backup open files. We do not back
    >up the gwpost or gwdomain here because of the whole Microsft court battle
    >and email being used against them.
    >Jim Hulliberger wrote:
    >>Hello, I am running Netware 4.11, Netware5, Groupwise 5.5.2 on the NW5
    >>server, and BackupExec 8.
    >>
    >>Netware says that I need to use backup software capable of backing up
    >>open files. Does BackupExec 8 do this? I thought that it was the good
    >>choice for backing up NetWare, but I received an error message during
    >>the backup process.
    >>
    >>Any recommendations on backing up a GroupWise server?

+ Reply to Thread