Which version supports incremental backups etc? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Which version supports incremental backups etc? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I gather the later Backup MyPC has replaced Backup Exec Pro. BUT which version supports incremental and differential backups? Cheapest 1st please; cos I'm in a cash crisis. I have used HP disaster recovery to CD-RW and lately Roxio (Adaptec) ...

  1. Which version supports incremental backups etc?

    I gather the later Backup MyPC has replaced Backup Exec Pro.
    BUT which version supports incremental and differential backups?

    Cheapest 1st please; cos I'm in a cash crisis.

    I have used HP disaster recovery to CD-RW and lately Roxio (Adaptec) take
    two - but they just do a one off backup and its impossible to just erase
    the disc and re-use - you have to format each CR-RW again for the disc to
    be accepted. (6 hours for 6 discs)

    Is Backup MyPC or Simple backup the answer?

    I want to backup my drive completely to CD-RW every couple of weeks (small
    incrementals in between).
    Thanks a lot for suggestions, appreciated.

    Ches

  2. Re: Which version supports incremental backups etc?

    AFAIK, Backup MyPC has replaced the Desktop products as of TODAY.
    It is my understanding that there are two choices:

    1. Backup All files.
    2. Backup New and changed files.

    --
    Please post your response to the newsgroup. Do not email me a copy of the
    message.

    http://www.standards.com/ipusers/standards; Word macros, including
    converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical writing and reviewing; Standards
    "ches whistler" wrote in message

    > I gather the later Backup MyPC has replaced Backup Exec Pro.
    > BUT which version supports incremental and differential backups?
    >
    > Cheapest 1st please; cos I'm in a cash crisis.
    >
    > I have used HP disaster recovery to CD-RW and lately Roxio (Adaptec) take
    > two - but they just do a one off backup and its impossible to just erase
    > the disc and re-use - you have to format each CR-RW again for the disc to
    > be accepted. (6 hours for 6 discs)
    >
    > Is Backup MyPC or Simple backup the answer?
    >
    > I want to backup my drive completely to CD-RW every couple of weeks (small
    > incrementals in between).
    > Thanks a lot for suggestions, appreciated.
    >
    > Ches

  3. Re: Which version supports incremental backups etc?

    Thanks Howard Thats exactly what I needed to know; now I've got to wait for
    it to hit the shops!
    Ches

    "Howard Kaikow" wrote:
    >AFAIK, Backup MyPC has replaced the Desktop products as of TODAY.
    >It is my understanding that there are two choices:
    >
    >1. Backup All files.
    >2. Backup New and changed files.

  4. Re: Which version supports incremental backups etc?

    Howard Kaikow wrote:

    > AFAIK, Backup MyPC has replaced the Desktop products as of TODAY.
    > It is my understanding that there are two choices:
    >
    > 1. Backup All files.
    > 2. Backup New and changed files.
    >
    > --
    > Please post your response to the newsgroup. Do not email me a copy of the
    > message.
    >
    > http://www.standards.com/ipusers/standards; Word macros, including
    > converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical writing and reviewing; Standards
    > "ches whistler" wrote in message
    > >
    > > I gather the later Backup MyPC has replaced Backup Exec Pro.
    > > BUT which version supports incremental and differential backups?
    > >
    > > Cheapest 1st please; cos I'm in a cash crisis.
    > >
    > > I have used HP disaster recovery to CD-RW and lately Roxio (Adaptec) take
    > > two - but they just do a one off backup and its impossible to just erase
    > > the disc and re-use - you have to format each CR-RW again for the disc to
    > > be accepted. (6 hours for 6 discs)
    > >
    > > Is Backup MyPC or Simple backup the answer?
    > >
    > > I want to backup my drive completely to CD-RW every couple of weeks (small
    > > incrementals in between).
    > > Thanks a lot for suggestions, appreciated.
    > >
    > > Ches

    Howard, I downloaded the Quickstart manual from MyPC and as far as I can tell
    there is no difference from Desktop Pro 4.5 as to how it works. It will do
    Recovery, Incremental and selected files.

  5. Re: Which version supports incremental backups etc?

    Marlin Singer wrote:

    [snip]

    >Howard, I downloaded the Quickstart manual from MyPC and as far as I can tell
    >there is no difference from Desktop Pro 4.5 as to how it works. It will do
    >Recovery, Incremental and selected files.

    Sound like this is another cash grab by Veritas. Whatever happened to
    Desktop Pro 4.6?
    Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    Vancouver, BC

  6. Re: Which version supports incremental backups etc?

    A couple of days ago, Veritas dropped the Desktop products.
    You will now find them listed as Discontinued products.

    The replacement is Backup MyPC, which tho written by Vertias, will be sold
    under other brand names.
    Info is at www.veritas.com.

    I have been informed that there will be a free downloadable 4.61 to owners
    of 4.5.
    I was informed that the release will be announced in the next Veritas
    newsletter. When? I dunno.

    --

    "Colin Sewell" wrote in message
    > Marlin Singer wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >

    > >Howard, I downloaded the Quickstart manual from MyPC and as far as I can

    tell
    > >there is no difference from Desktop Pro 4.5 as to how it works. It will

    do
    > >Recovery, Incremental and selected files.
    > >

    > Sound like this is another cash grab by Veritas. Whatever happened to
    > Desktop Pro 4.6?
    > Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    > Vancouver, BC

  7. Re: Which version supports incremental backups etc?

    Download is now available at:

    http://support.veritas.com/menu_ddPr...BEDSKTPPRO.htm

    Doesn't appear to address the 4GB file threshold as some would have hoped.

    "Howard Kaikow" wrote in message
    > A couple of days ago, Veritas dropped the Desktop products.
    > You will now find them listed as Discontinued products.
    >
    > The replacement is Backup MyPC, which tho written by Vertias, will be sold
    > under other brand names.
    > Info is at www.veritas.com.
    >
    > I have been informed that there will be a free downloadable 4.61 to owners
    > of 4.5.
    > I was informed that the release will be announced in the next Veritas
    > newsletter. When? I dunno.
    >
    > --
    > Please post your response to the newsgroup. Do not email me a copy of the
    > message.
    >
    > http://www.standards.com/ipusers/standards; Word macros, including
    > converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical writing and reviewing;

    Standards
    > "Colin Sewell" wrote in message
    > > Marlin Singer wrote:
    > >
    > > [snip]
    > >

    > > >Howard, I downloaded the Quickstart manual from MyPC and as far as I

    can
    > tell
    > > >there is no difference from Desktop Pro 4.5 as to how it works. It will

    > do
    > > >Recovery, Incremental and selected files.
    > > >

    > > Sound like this is another cash grab by Veritas. Whatever happened to
    > > Desktop Pro 4.6?
    > > Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    > > Vancouver, BC

  8. Re: Which version supports incremental backups etc?

    I do not see 4.61 listed.

    --

    "Kevin M. McGowan" wrote in message
    > Download is now available at:
    >
    > http://support.veritas.com/menu_ddPr...BEDSKTPPRO.htm
    >
    > Doesn't appear to address the 4GB file threshold as some would have hoped.
    >

    > "Howard Kaikow" wrote in message
    > > A couple of days ago, Veritas dropped the Desktop products.
    > > You will now find them listed as Discontinued products.
    > >
    > > The replacement is Backup MyPC, which tho written by Vertias, will be

    sold
    > > under other brand names.
    > > Info is at www.veritas.com.
    > >
    > > I have been informed that there will be a free downloadable 4.61 to

    owners
    > > of 4.5.
    > > I was informed that the release will be announced in the next Veritas
    > > newsletter. When? I dunno.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Please post your response to the newsgroup. Do not email me a copy of

    the
    > > message.
    > >
    > > http://www.standards.com/ipusers/standards; Word macros, including
    > > converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical writing and reviewing;

    > Standards
    > > "Colin Sewell" wrote in message
    > > > Marlin Singer wrote:
    > > >
    > > > [snip]

    > can
    > > tell

    will
    > > do
    > > > >

    > > > Sound like this is another cash grab by Veritas. Whatever happened to
    > > > Desktop Pro 4.6?
    > > > Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    > > > Vancouver, BC

  9. Re: Which version supports incremental backups etc?

    "Howard Kaikow" wrote:

    >I do not see 4.61 listed.

    Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    Vancouver, BC

  10. Re: Which version supports incremental backups etc?

    I found 4.61 by SEarching for 4.61 at the veritas web site.

    --

    > "Howard Kaikow" wrote:
    >
    > >I do not see 4.61 listed.

    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/239312.htm