backups using 4.5 unreliable - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on backups using 4.5 unreliable - Veritas Backup Exec ; seems a crap shoot whether I can get a clean backup. it either finds a media defect, hangs up at very end updating log or whatever ,creating a basket of pancakes and wasted time.using imation cd-R, its even worse with ...

  1. backups using 4.5 unreliable

    seems a crap shoot whether I can get a clean backup. it either finds a media
    defect, hangs up at very end updating log or whatever ,creating a basket of
    pancakes and wasted time.using imation cd-R, its even worse with cd-rw.
    using a plextore 12/10/32 but all other things with it work. have gotten a
    clean back up but to much wasted time and disks. any experience from others?

    --
    bernie mansbach

  2. Re: backups using 4.5 unreliable

    I am finding the same thing with a tape backup. It seems that when a compare
    is performed, a media error is found and is unrecoverable. The error message
    is: The backup device found an unrecoverable hardware error. (07-12-23-00-40C5).
    I am perplexed.

  3. Re: backups using 4.5 unreliable

    glad you said that. that means its the program not our devices since they
    are so different.

    "Tom" wrote in message news:3a738431@hronntp01....

    > I am finding the same thing with a tape backup. It seems that when a

    compare
    > is performed, a media error is found and is unrecoverable. The error

    message
    > is: The backup device found an unrecoverable hardware error.

    (07-12-23-00-40C5).
    > I am perplexed.

  4. Re: backups using 4.5 unreliable

    I just started having the same sort of problem a couple weeks ago with Desktop
    Ed 4.5 and Windows 2000. Backups (full or differential) to a file or tape
    (Seagate ATAPI 10/20GB) run fine but then during the verify the system will
    just completely hang. The disk access light is on solid, but there is no
    noticeable disk activity. Ctl-Atl-Del doesn't work and the system has to
    be rebooted. If I turn off the verification, things work OK.

  5. Re: backups using 4.5 unreliable

    have you tried more than one brand of media? Backup Exec only supports 650
    mb media, not 700 mb media. are you using 12x certified media?

    "Bernie Mansbach" wrote:
    >seems a crap shoot whether I can get a clean backup. it either finds a media
    >defect, hangs up at very end updating log or whatever ,creating a basket

    of
    >pancakes and wasted time.using imation cd-R, its even worse with cd-rw.
    >using a plextore 12/10/32 but all other things with it work. have gotten

    >clean back up but to much wasted time and disks. any experience from others?
    >
    >--
    >bernie mansbach

  6. Re: backups using 4.5 unreliable

    is 12X but is 700mb. getting hard to find 650 now. veritas tech support
    thought what I was using was good though. will see if i can find some 650
    12X to try but will be hard , thanks

    "magnum" wrote in message

    > have you tried more than one brand of media? Backup Exec only supports

    650
    > mb media, not 700 mb media. are you using 12x certified media?
    >
    > "Bernie Mansbach" wrote:
    > >seems a crap shoot whether I can get a clean backup. it either finds a

    media
    > >defect, hangs up at very end updating log or whatever ,creating a basket

    > of
    > >pancakes and wasted time.using imation cd-R, its even worse with cd-rw.
    > >using a plextore 12/10/32 but all other things with it work. have gotten

    > >clean back up but to much wasted time and disks. any experience from

    others?

    > >--
    > >bernie mansbach

  7. Re: backups using 4.5 unreliable

    What firmware are you using on you drive. You should be using 1.05 or
    higher.

    Chris

    "Bernie Mansbach" wrote in message
    > is 12X but is 700mb. getting hard to find 650 now. veritas tech support
    > thought what I was using was good though. will see if i can find some 650
    > 12X to try but will be hard , thanks
    >
    > "magnum" wrote in message
    > >
    > > have you tried more than one brand of media? Backup Exec only supports

    > 650
    > > mb media, not 700 mb media. are you using 12x certified media?
    > >
    > > "Bernie Mansbach" wrote:
    > > >seems a crap shoot whether I can get a clean backup. it either finds a

    > media
    > > >defect, hangs up at very end updating log or whatever ,creating a

    basket
    > > of
    > > >pancakes and wasted time.using imation cd-R, its even worse with cd-rw.
    > > >using a plextore 12/10/32 but all other things with it work. have

    gotten
    > > >clean back up but to much wasted time and disks. any experience from

    > others?
    > > >
    > > >--
    > > >bernie mansbach

  8. Re: backups using 4.5 unreliable

    thanks,had 1.02. they are up to 1.07. will post results when I try again
    "Chris" wrote in message news:3a837f80$1@hronntp01....
    > What firmware are you using on you drive. You should be using 1.05 or
    > higher.
    >
    > Chris
    >

    > "Bernie Mansbach" wrote in message
    > > is 12X but is 700mb. getting hard to find 650 now. veritas tech support
    > > thought what I was using was good though. will see if i can find some

    650
    > > 12X to try but will be hard , thanks
    > >
    > > "magnum" wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > have you tried more than one brand of media? Backup Exec only

    supports
    > > 650
    > > > mb media, not 700 mb media. are you using 12x certified media?

    > > media

    > basket
    > > > of

    cd-rw.

    > gotten

    > > others?

  9. Re: backups using 4.5 unreliable

    had a clean copy and verification with the updated firmware.may even try a
    cd-rw next

    > thanks,had 1.02. they are up to 1.07. will post results when I try again
    > "Chris" wrote in message news:3a837f80$1@hronntp01....
    > > What firmware are you using on you drive. You should be using 1.05 or
    > > higher.
    > >
    > > Chris
    > >

    > > "Bernie Mansbach" wrote in message
    > > > is 12X but is 700mb. getting hard to find 650 now. veritas tech

    support
    > > > thought what I was using was good though. will see if i can find some

    > 650
    > > > 12X to try but will be hard , thanks
    > > >
    > > > "magnum" wrote in message

    > supports