Verify errors - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Verify errors - Veritas Backup Exec ; So far no matter what I try I always seem to come up with errors in my backups. The files are not always the same and I can't seem to find a pattern with them. I originally had 3.1.1a then ...

  1. Verify errors

    So far no matter what I try I always seem to come up with errors in my backups.
    The files are not always the same and I can't seem to find a pattern with
    them. I originally had 3.1.1a then updated to 4.2 with no luck, I also tried
    tried two different tapes and again no luck.

    I have an ABIT BP6, win98se, an Exabyte Eagle Tr4i and am running the tape
    and the drive on different IDE channels. I also have two partitions on my
    drive with two bootable win98se versions and I get the same results with
    both installs.

    Any ideas???

    Thanks,
    James

  2. Re: Verify errors

    "James" wrote:

    >So far no matter what I try I always seem to come up with errors in my backups.
    >The files are not always the same and I can't seem to find a pattern with
    >them. I originally had 3.1.1a then updated to 4.2 with no luck, I also tried
    >tried two different tapes and again no luck.
    >
    >I have an ABIT BP6, win98se, an Exabyte Eagle Tr4i and am running the tape
    >and the drive on different IDE channels. I also have two partitions on my
    >drive with two bootable win98se versions and I get the same results with
    >both installs.
    >
    >Any ideas???
    >
    >Thanks,
    >James

    make sure you do an "end task" on everything but explorer and systray, anything
    else is a background process that doesn't need to be running

  3. Re: Verify errors

    I was getting major verify errors and had my IDE cabled wrong. Try doing a backup
    to a file on your hard drive. If you get compare errors, you'll know whether the
    problem is with your backup device or your Hard Drive.

    Also, do you have DMA turned on? My cabling problem only manifested itself if DMA
    was enabled.

    James wrote:

    > So far no matter what I try I always seem to come up with errors in my backups.
    > The files are not always the same and I can't seem to find a pattern with
    > them. I originally had 3.1.1a then updated to 4.2 with no luck, I also tried
    > tried two different tapes and again no luck.
    >
    > I have an ABIT BP6, win98se, an Exabyte Eagle Tr4i and am running the tape
    > and the drive on different IDE channels. I also have two partitions on my
    > drive with two bootable win98se versions and I get the same results with
    > both installs.
    >
    > Any ideas???
    >
    > Thanks,
    > James

  4. Re: Verify errors

    I am convinced that Veritas has some data integrity problems with fast CPUs. I
    wish that the employees that monitory this newsgroup would get involved. This is
    the sixth such mention of this problem!

    James wrote:

    > So far no matter what I try I always seem to come up with errors in my backups.
    > The files are not always the same and I can't seem to find a pattern with
    > them. I originally had 3.1.1a then updated to 4.2 with no luck, I also tried
    > tried two different tapes and again no luck.
    >
    > I have an ABIT BP6, win98se, an Exabyte Eagle Tr4i and am running the tape
    > and the drive on different IDE channels. I also have two partitions on my
    > drive with two bootable win98se versions and I get the same results with
    > both installs.
    >
    > Any ideas???
    >
    > Thanks,
    > James

  5. Re: Verify errors

    what do you consider a fast CPU, I'm using a Pent 933 running W2k (Dell),
    and a Athlon 1.2ghz running WME, and recently the newest Beta of Windows
    (home built), and I don't see the same problems. Are you using a home built
    system, and if so what HD and motherboard are you using??

    Chris

    "Grasser" wrote in message
    > I am convinced that Veritas has some data integrity problems with fast

    CPUs. I
    > wish that the employees that monitory this newsgroup would get involved.

    This is
    > the sixth such mention of this problem!
    >
    > James wrote:
    >
    > > So far no matter what I try I always seem to come up with errors in my

    backups.
    > > The files are not always the same and I can't seem to find a pattern

    with
    > > them. I originally had 3.1.1a then updated to 4.2 with no luck, I also

    tried
    > > tried two different tapes and again no luck.
    > >
    > > I have an ABIT BP6, win98se, an Exabyte Eagle Tr4i and am running the

    tape
    > > and the drive on different IDE channels. I also have two partitions on

    my
    > > drive with two bootable win98se versions and I get the same results with
    > > both installs.
    > >
    > > Any ideas???
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > James

  6. Re: Verify errors

    I am using a Pentium 933 on an Abit VA6 motherboard. I used to have a Celeron
    400 in the same hardware setup and did not see any problems. When I dropped in
    the 933, the problems began. When I underclock my system to 800 MHz, the
    problem goes away!

    I ran three different system stress tests at 933, an all of the tests report
    that my system is good. My memory and disk integrity tests pass as well. No
    lockups or problems with any other program. I was wondering if the VIA chipset
    might have problems with high speed I/O, but discounted that theory since no
    other programs exhibit data corruption problems.

    Chris wrote:

    > what do you consider a fast CPU, I'm using a Pent 933 running W2k (Dell),
    > and a Athlon 1.2ghz running WME, and recently the newest Beta of Windows
    > (home built), and I don't see the same problems. Are you using a home built
    > system, and if so what HD and motherboard are you using??
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > "Grasser" wrote in message
    > > I am convinced that Veritas has some data integrity problems with fast

    > CPUs. I
    > > wish that the employees that monitory this newsgroup would get involved.

    > This is
    > > the sixth such mention of this problem!
    > >
    > > James wrote:
    > >
    > > > So far no matter what I try I always seem to come up with errors in my

    > backups.
    > > > The files are not always the same and I can't seem to find a pattern

    > with
    > > > them. I originally had 3.1.1a then updated to 4.2 with no luck, I also

    > tried
    > > > tried two different tapes and again no luck.
    > > >
    > > > I have an ABIT BP6, win98se, an Exabyte Eagle Tr4i and am running the

    > tape
    > > > and the drive on different IDE channels. I also have two partitions on

    > my
    > > > drive with two bootable win98se versions and I get the same results with
    > > > both installs.
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas???
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > James

  7. Re: Verify errors

    I am using a Pentium 733 with an Intel Motherboard running Windows 98 Second
    addition. The tape unit is a Seagate Hornet 4-8GB ATAPI IDE device. It is
    the master on my seconday IDE channel that also has a CD-ROM as a slave.
    The CD and Tape drive are not in the Boot process. I get Verify CRC errors
    on every backup. I use a 770 file test to verify and I usually get from
    3-5 CRC errors every test and the files in error are not the same. I am
    using the latest Segate Firmware for the Hornet drive and the tape passes
    the Segate Read/write test every time. I have replaced the tape drive, tape
    and cleaned the tape. I have taken off compression. I even replace the tape
    with a RW-CDROM on the same IDE port and it worked with no CRC errors to
    a RW-CROM. I ran the test 4-5 times flawlessly. This is why I suspected
    the tape device and replaced it. Has anyone had these type of problems and
    found a solution? I need some help.

+ Reply to Thread