error backing up 1 file - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on error backing up 1 file - Veritas Backup Exec ; when I run a backup, I get just 1 error, but i get it all the time. The error is as follows: C:\Windows\local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\Index.dat - busy or in use by another application, it will be skipped. I've tried ...

  1. error backing up 1 file

    when I run a backup, I get just 1 error, but i get it all the time. The error
    is as follows: C:\Windows\local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\Index.dat
    - busy or in use by another application, it will be skipped. I've tried
    everything but cannot get rid of this error. I had it at one time, then
    somehow got rid of it, now that I put in a new Hard Drive it's back. Any
    suggestions?

    Thanks

  2. Re: error backing up 1 file

    Try using ctrl+alt+delete and close everything but systray and explorer before beginning
    the backup.

    Chris wrote:

    > when I run a backup, I get just 1 error, but i get it all the time. The error
    > is as follows: C:\Windows\local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\Index.dat
    > - busy or in use by another application, it will be skipped. I've tried
    > everything but cannot get rid of this error. I had it at one time, then
    > somehow got rid of it, now that I put in a new Hard Drive it's back. Any
    > suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: error backing up 1 file

    "Chris" wrote in message news:38befcfb@hronntp01....

    > when I run a backup, I get just 1 error, but i get it all the time. The

    error
    > is as follows: C:\Windows\local Settings\Temporary Internet

    Files\Content.IE5\Index.dat
    > - busy or in use by another application, it will be skipped. I've tried
    > everything but cannot get rid of this error. I had it at one time, then
    > somehow got rid of it, now that I put in a new Hard Drive it's back. Any
    > suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks

    Windows 98 is the other application that has that file open. Closing all
    applications except explorer and systray may not free the file for backup.

    The file is not critical. It will regenerate itself as you use Internet
    Explorer. Suggest you cleanout your Temporary Internet files before you
    backup and ignore the backup error. Index.dat is just the index of stored
    Temporary Internet Files.
    Don

  4. Re: error backing up 1 file

    "Chris" wrote:

    >when I run a backup, I get just 1 error, but i get it all the time. The

    error
    >is as follows: C:\Windows\local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\Index.dat
    >- busy or in use by another application, it will be skipped. I've tried
    >everything but cannot get rid of this error. I had it at one time, then
    >somehow got rid of it, now that I put in a new Hard Drive it's back. Any
    >suggestions?
    >
    >Thanks

  5. Re: error backing up 1 file

    "Chris" wrote:

    >when I run a backup, I get just 1 error, but i get it all the time. The

    error
    >is as follows: C:\Windows\local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\Index.dat
    >- busy or in use by another application, it will be skipped. I've tried
    >everything but cannot get rid of this error. I had it at one time, then
    >somehow got rid of it, now that I put in a new Hard Drive it's back. Any
    >suggestions?
    >
    >Thanks

    go into your control panel, internet options, on that first tab in the section
    titled temporary internet files, select to delete those files, that may work
    it's not an imperative file and would be recreated by IE if it were not available

  6. Re: error backing up 1 file

    On 2 Mar 2000 18:44:59 -0500, "Chris" wrote:

    >when I run a backup, I get just 1 error, but i get it all the time. The error
    >is as follows: C:\Windows\local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\Index.dat
    >- busy or in use by another application, it will be skipped. I've tried
    >everything but cannot get rid of this error. I had it at one time, then
    >somehow got rid of it, now that I put in a new Hard Drive it's back. Any
    >suggestions?

    Chris

    The problem is caused because there is no way to release this
    file--even if you Ctrl-Alt-Delete everything (except Explorer and
    Backup Exec, of course) AND the fact that Veritas overlooked putting
    this file on the list of files (in the registry) to automatically
    *not* backup. What you need to do is to manually uncheck this file
    before any backup is performed.

    If you want to actually back up that file, the following batch file
    will make a copy of index.dat and rename it index.da0, which will get
    backed up. Run the batch file just before doing the backup (assuming
    you don't already have a folder named C:\XtraTemp). (Make sure that
    each of the below 5 command lines appears on a single line). The same
    series of batch file commands can also be used to back up any other
    such "unreleasable" file which you actually want to back up but which
    is automatically *not* backed up by Backup Exec.

    MD "C:\XtraTemp"
    XCOPY "C:\Windows\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5\index.dat" "C:\XtraTemp" /C /H /R /Y
    ATTRIB -S -H -R -A "C:\XtraTemp\index.dat"
    MOVE "C:\XtraTemp\index.dat" "C:\Windows\Local Settings\Temporary
    Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.da0"
    DELTREE /Y "C:\XtraTemp

    Rich Lang

+ Reply to Thread