BE 4.2 Full Backup hangs - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE 4.2 Full Backup hangs - Veritas Backup Exec ; Just installed BE Desktop Edition 4.2 to a Pentium II 300 mkz Windows 95 machine with 128MB RAM , HP Colorado 8GB IDE tape drive, and 13GB hard drive. Hard drive contains about 3.6GB of data. No problems installing. Differential ...

  1. BE 4.2 Full Backup hangs

    Just installed BE Desktop Edition 4.2 to a Pentium II 300 mkz Windows
    95 machine with 128MB RAM , HP Colorado 8GB IDE tape drive, and 13GB
    hard drive.
    Hard drive contains about 3.6GB of data.
    No problems installing.
    Differential backups complete and verify without problem either from the
    the Win95 scheduler or interactively from within BE.
    When I try to do a full backup of the drive using compression and tape
    erase:

    1. Most frequently the program hangs while "Updating Media Header"
    showing 10 seconds remaining and 26 files remaining. I have let this
    stand for as long as 12 hrs and it never continues. When clicking the
    "Cancel" button the program verifies that you want to cancel but it
    never closes. Clicking the "X" does not close the program. Right
    clicking on the task bar and selecting close does not close the program.
    Bringing up the task manager and closing BE causes it to close but
    leaves the Windows Explorer locked up, requiring shutting down the
    computer to reboot.

    2. One time the backup required two 8GB tapes to backup 3.6GB of data
    but completed and verified successfully

    Has any one else had similar experiences?

  2. Re: BE 4.2 Full Backup hangs

    I have had similar problems with all of the Seagate/Veritas
    products on my W98/PIII500/Seagate TR-5 IDE Drive. I thought that
    "upgrading" the software that came with my Seagate drive to
    the Veritas 4.2 product might solve the problem, but no dice.
    My lockups occur when the tape drive has to do some sort of
    operation on the tape before starting, like retensioning or
    skipping over partial backup sets. When the operation is
    complete, the software hangs before starting the actual
    backup. I have found that I can clear the hang by hitting
    Ctrl-Alt-Del, waiting for the task list, and then simply
    pressing escape - the backup then immediately begins. Cute,
    but totally worthless as far as running an unattended backup.
    Full backups that overwrite the tape seem to run fine. I have
    also noticed the hang at the same point in a verify cycle -
    right before it starts reading and comparing the files. As we
    both have IDE drives, I wonder if it has something to do with
    this?

    "William E. Stafford" wrote:
    >Just installed BE Desktop Edition 4.2 to a Pentium II 300 mkz Windows
    >95 machine with 128MB RAM , HP Colorado 8GB IDE tape drive, and 13GB
    >hard drive.
    >Hard drive contains about 3.6GB of data.
    >No problems installing.
    >Differential backups complete and verify without problem either from the
    >the Win95 scheduler or interactively from within BE.
    >When I try to do a full backup of the drive using compression and tape
    >erase:
    >
    >1. Most frequently the program hangs while "Updating Media Header"
    >showing 10 seconds remaining and 26 files remaining. I have let this
    >stand for as long as 12 hrs and it never continues. When clicking the
    >"Cancel" button the program verifies that you want to cancel but it
    >never closes. Clicking the "X" does not close the program. Right
    >clicking on the task bar and selecting close does not close the program.
    >Bringing up the task manager and closing BE causes it to close but
    >leaves the Windows Explorer locked up, requiring shutting down the
    >computer to reboot.
    >
    >2. One time the backup required two 8GB tapes to backup 3.6GB of data
    >but completed and verified successfully
    >
    >Has any one else had similar experiences?

+ Reply to Thread