How to convince BackupExec that my IDE is my backup device... - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on How to convince BackupExec that my IDE is my backup device... - Veritas Backup Exec ; My tape drive died a few weeks ago. I have 13gb of SCSI disk to backup. My choices where: o spend $300-$400 on a tape drive, plus tapes, which, in my experience, aren't very reliable. o spend $200 on a ...

  1. How to convince BackupExec that my IDE is my backup device...

    My tape drive died a few weeks ago. I have 13gb of SCSI disk to backup.
    My choices where:

    o spend $300-$400 on a tape drive, plus tapes, which, in my experience,
    aren't very reliable.

    o spend $200 on a 20GB IDE hard drive.

    I spent the $200. Now I have a problem. BE won't recognize the IDE as a
    legit device for the DR option. I built the five diskettes, but when I
    try to make a backup for DR, BE only allows my iomega drive and no file.
    The DR is assuming that I want my 20GB drive backed up as part of the
    DR, which I do not!

    Now, I know that I can make a full backup, with registry, and use that
    as the DR. But, my question is, if I make this backup as a file in the
    IDE, will the DR see it if I need to actually recover from it?

    --
    Matthew O. Persico

    "Some days, 'user' is a four-letter word."

  2. Re: How to convince BackupExec that my IDE is my backup device...

    Matthew Persico wrote:

    >My tape drive died a few weeks ago. I have 13gb of SCSI disk to backup.
    >My choices where:
    >
    >o spend $300-$400 on a tape drive, plus tapes, which, in my experience,
    >aren't very reliable.
    >
    >o spend $200 on a 20GB IDE hard drive.
    >
    >I spent the $200. Now I have a problem. BE won't recognize the IDE as a
    >legit device for the DR option. I built the five diskettes, but when I
    >try to make a backup for DR, BE only allows my iomega drive and no file.
    >The DR is assuming that I want my 20GB drive backed up as part of the
    >DR, which I do not!
    >
    >Now, I know that I can make a full backup, with registry, and use that
    >as the DR. But, my question is, if I make this backup as a file in the
    >IDE, will the DR see it if I need to actually recover from it?

    -------
    Unfortunately, you can only back up to a file on the hard drive, and
    emergency restore from files is not supported. ER is only available
    from a supported backup device like your iomega drive. ER from a file
    backup is a much requested feature, and maybe someday we'll see it.
    Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    Vancouver, BC

  3. Re: How to convince BackupExec that my IDE is my backup device...

    Colin Sewell wrote:

    > Unfortunately, you can only back up to a file on the hard drive, and
    > emergency restore from files is not supported. ER is only available
    > from a supported backup device like your iomega drive. ER from a file
    > backup is a much requested feature, and maybe someday we'll see it.

    Fine. I made five backup disks and then didn't make a DR set. I will
    make the abbreviated backup set suggested in the help, stick that on the
    IOMEGA disk and use as the DR recovery set. With that minimum in place,
    I can then restore everything from full and incr backups and then
    reboot.

    Are there any gotchas I shoudl know about when doing things this way?

    --
    Matthew O. Persico

    "Some days, 'user' is a four-letter word."

+ Reply to Thread