Re: Adaptec DirectCd - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Re: Adaptec DirectCd - Veritas Backup Exec ; I've had a variety of CD problems. One fact I've learned is that if you quick erase the CDRW before using it in BE, it works fine as long as its not the last CD of a set. I've occasionally ...

  1. Re: Adaptec DirectCd

    I've had a variety of CD problems.

    One fact I've learned is that if you quick erase the CDRW before using it in BE,
    it works fine as long as its not the last CD of a set.

    I've occasionally had media that didn't erase/format properly and got the error
    you reported. Tried different media and no problem.

    Jeff wrote:

    > "Guy Gallo" wrote:
    > >Okay,
    > >
    > >Here's the deal on BE4.2 and Adaptec DirectCD.
    > >
    > >If you get the banner when you insert a blank CD into your CDRW drive, then
    > >you have an option set in the Properties.DirectCD Wizard (the dialog that
    > >comes up if you right click on the System Tray Icon and select Properties).
    > >
    > >Display disc creation options upon insertion of blank media
    > >
    > >If this is checked then as soon as you insert a blank disk, it is examined
    > >by DirectCD and is "under it's control."
    > >
    > >What I did was uncheck this option, which only means that I won't get
    > >prompted for what I want to do. An already formatted DirectCD disk will
    > >still pop up the disk ready prompt. And double clicking on the icon will
    > >still bring up the information/formatting dialogue.
    > >
    > >Then, when I went to test a backup from BE to CDRW, I waited UNTIL Prompted
    > >to put in the blank disk. Seems like DirectCD never got control. And I

    > was
    > >asked to format the disc.
    > >
    > >I assume the reason that BE can't use a DirectCD formatted disk is that
    > >UDF -- Universal Disk Format, I think -- is the formatting used by
    > >Adaptec -- which can remain open etc etc. And I assume BE uses it's own
    > >formatting.
    > >
    > >So, my recommendation is:
    > >
    > >1) turn off the prompt in DirectCD
    > >2) insert the cd to back up to only AFTER the backup job starts.
    > >
    > >That seems to make it pretty compatibile.
    > >
    > >--guy
    > >

    > Thanks guy! This helped me out too, but now I have another problem. After
    > a CD is done with the Veritas formating, I get this error message.
    >
    > "Unable to read a portion of this media. The recovery process should be run.
    > However this may take several minutes and require modification to the media".
    >
    > I click OK on the recovery, but it never completes.
    >
    > Has anyone else seen this?

  2. Re: Adaptec DirectCd

    Does anyone have a fix to the problem below???

    HELP...

    After a CD is done with the Veritas formating, I get this error message.

    >> "Unable to read a portion of this media. The recovery process should be

    run.
    >> However this may take several minutes and require modification to the

    media".

    >> I click OK on the recovery, but it never completes.
    >>
    >> Has anyone else seen this?

+ Reply to Thread