I'm using a Ricoh 7040A with no problem. I've messed up a few CDRW's but was able
to erase them using Adaptec EZCD and then reuse them in BE or any other program.
Try erasing them in a different program. Out of about 50 CDRW's (cheap CompUSA 4x
media) I've had one batch that was plain bad 5 out of 25. The bad ones exhibited
the symptoms you describe.