Re: backup exec for win98 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Re: backup exec for win98 - Veritas Backup Exec ; In article , Chris writes >You can fix this, but you'll loose all of your old backup jobs. It can be >rebuilt, but that can be lenthy process. > >Go into the folder where you installed Backup Exec (BE). Open ...

  1. Re: backup exec for win98

    In article <3b54db80@hronntp01.?>, Chris writes
    >You can fix this, but you'll loose all of your old backup jobs. It can be
    >rebuilt, but that can be lenthy process.
    >
    >Go into the folder where you installed Backup Exec (BE). Open the system
    >directory in the BE folder, then open the catalogs directory.
    >
    >Now for the ****ty part, delete it all, OR move it somewhere else like
    >c:\temp\ or something. Then try to restart BE.

    This is an area of BE that I have been aware of for a while but have
    tried to ignore!

    Obviously (?) BE keeps a catalogue of files backed-up, so that it knows
    which backup volume to request for a restore.

    What particularly concerns me is our (recommended) use of BE - using
    write-once CDs. Presumably, if you use tape (as BE was originally
    designed to do), whenever a tape volume gets overwritten, all the
    catalogue entries relating to files previously on that tape are deleted.

    But if you use CDs, starting a new one when the previous one fills up,
    what about the catalogue?..... I guess every instance of every file on
    every CD, going back forever, has a permanent catalogue entry, so the
    catalogue will just grow and grow. And any fault in it, however trivial
    and maybe relating to a CD long since forgotten, will still necessitate
    trashing the whole thing, as described.

    I presume that even in the absence of a complete catalogue, 'media view'
    will still work, so if you have the physical CDs you can still work back
    to find the latest version of a lost file.
    --
    John Brooks Technical Sales & Development Manager
    Nemesys Data Systems Ltd., Croydon CR9 6DA, UK

  2. Catalogue & CD backups (was: backup exec for win98)

    In article <4KDMJhAQq+Z7IATm@nemesysltd.demon.co.uk>, john brooks
    writes

    >Obviously (?) BE keeps a catalogue of files backed-up, so that it knows
    >which backup volume to request for a restore.
    >
    >What particularly concerns me is our (recommended) use of BE - using
    >write-once CDs. Presumably, if you use tape (as BE was originally
    >designed to do), whenever a tape volume gets overwritten, all the
    >catalogue entries relating to files previously on that tape are deleted.
    >
    >But if you use CDs, starting a new one when the previous one fills up,
    >what about the catalogue?..... I guess every instance of every file on
    >every CD, going back forever, has a permanent catalogue entry, so the
    >catalogue will just grow and grow. And any fault in it, however trivial
    >and maybe relating to a CD long since forgotten, will still necessitate
    >trashing the whole thing, as described.
    >
    >I presume that even in the absence of a complete catalogue, 'media view'
    >will still work, so if you have the physical CDs you can still work back
    >to find the latest version of a lost file.

    I've grasped (part of) the nettle and had a look at our own catalogues.
    On one small system, with low data turnover, we're already up to 7 meg
    of catalogue and nearly 5 meg of index!

    There are obviously implications for other users, especially those with
    large numbers of files and / or fast data turnover. But I've not seen
    much discussion of the best approach to catalogue management, here or
    anywhere else, in the context of BE with non-reusable media such as CDs.

    Other (less obvious) questions:

    - can / should you use media naming to manage the catalogue? ie.
    If you adopt a volume naming convention such as CD01, CD02,..., then
    revert to CD01 when you have filled up 99 CDs, does this make BE
    automatically edit the catalogue to remove references to all the files
    held on the first CD called 'CD01'?

    - if so, what then happens if you mount the original CD01 and try
    to recover an old file that you (somehow) know is on it? Does this
    cause BE to mess up its (current) catalogue by trying to make the two
    volumes with the same name into one (or something)?

    - if not, what other strategy should be used to prune the
    catalogue (whilst, ideally, retaining the possibility of recovering old
    archives)?

    --
    John Brooks Technical Sales & Development Manager
    Nemesys Data Systems Ltd., Croydon CR9 6DA, UK
    Tele: 44-(020)-8681-8339 Fax: 44-(020)-8406-0105

+ Reply to Thread