Backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; I just bought new computer from my employer and it is so nice-I really love it (used to have verrry old puter-only 8 mb ram, win 95 and old aol3.0--this one is sooo much better-it is a Dell, Intel Pentium ...

  1. Backup

    I just bought new computer from my employer and it is so nice-I really love
    it (used to have verrry old puter-only 8 mb ram, win 95 and old aol3.0--this
    one is sooo much better-it is a Dell, Intel Pentium Processor, 12.07 GB hard
    drive, 64 mb ram, win 98, built in dvd/cd rom, built in zip drive, floppy,
    etc.--well--

    VERY nervous about crashing it totally (like my old one), so asked my employer
    if they had the "recovery disk" for it, but they can't seem to find it--
    went to the Microsoft backup part in my computer and it gave me this web
    address for information on getting a recovery disk for this new computer.

    Soooo sorry if this is not the place to ask, but sort of new to all of this
    computer stuff and didn't know what else to do.

    ANY advice or suggestions GREATLY appreciated.

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Backup

    "Robin Campbell" wrote:

    >I just bought new computer from my employer and it is so nice-I really love
    >it (used to have verrry old puter-only 8 mb ram, win 95 and old aol3.0--this
    >one is sooo much better-it is a Dell, Intel Pentium Processor, 12.07 GB

    hard
    >drive, 64 mb ram, win 98, built in dvd/cd rom, built in zip drive, floppy,
    >etc.--well--
    >
    >VERY nervous about crashing it totally (like my old one), so asked my employer
    >if they had the "recovery disk" for it, but they can't seem to find it--
    >went to the Microsoft backup part in my computer and it gave me this web
    >address for information on getting a recovery disk for this new computer.
    >
    >Soooo sorry if this is not the place to ask, but sort of new to all of this
    >computer stuff and didn't know what else to do.
    >
    >ANY advice or suggestions GREATLY appreciated.
    >
    >Thank you.

    Hello Robin;
    Not all computers come with recovery discs.
    Usually only big name brands like Dell or Compaq.
    They are a specially made version of Windows for that computer with the essential
    drivers.
    Many business computers use OEM Win 98 or a multi-license ver of 98 or NT.
    Even if you did have a recovery disk it would do nothing to protect your
    data.
    Your best bet now is if your computer is running fine.
    Get a copy of Veritas Backup Exec Desktop 98 or Drive Image or Ghost.
    Make a full system backup or image of your c drive.
    It is unlikely that you can get your hands on a recovery disk.
    It probably doesn't exist, never existed or has been lost.
    You could buy a copy of Windows 98SE or ME.
    But you will need to round up all the drivers for your computer.
    That may be a big challenge.
    And installing an OS is tough without some guru to help you.
    Read the current newstand issue of Smart Comuting Magazine.
    It has an excellent article on backing up and safeguarding your computer.
    Good luck with this.
    Frank

  3. Re: Backup

    "Frank Dwyer" wrote:

    >"Robin Campbell" wrote:
    >>
    >>I just bought new computer from my employer and it is so nice-I really

    love
    >>it (used to have verrry old puter-only 8 mb ram, win 95 and old aol3.0--this
    >>one is sooo much better-it is a Dell, Intel Pentium Processor, 12.07 GB

    >hard
    >>drive, 64 mb ram, win 98, built in dvd/cd rom, built in zip drive, floppy,
    >>etc.--well--
    >>
    >>VERY nervous about crashing it totally (like my old one), so asked my employer
    >>if they had the "recovery disk" for it, but they can't seem to find it--
    >>went to the Microsoft backup part in my computer and it gave me this web
    >>address for information on getting a recovery disk for this new computer.
    >>
    >>Soooo sorry if this is not the place to ask, but sort of new to all of

    this
    >>computer stuff and didn't know what else to do.
    >>
    >>ANY advice or suggestions GREATLY appreciated.
    >>
    >>Thank you.

    > Hello Robin;
    >Not all computers come with recovery discs.
    >Usually only big name brands like Dell or Compaq.
    >They are a specially made version of Windows for that computer with the

    essential
    >drivers.
    >Many business computers use OEM Win 98 or a multi-license ver of 98 or NT.
    >Even if you did have a recovery disk it would do nothing to protect your
    >data.
    >Your best bet now is if your computer is running fine.
    >Get a copy of Veritas Backup Exec Desktop 98 or Drive Image or Ghost.
    >Make a full system backup or image of your c drive.
    >It is unlikely that you can get your hands on a recovery disk.
    >It probably doesn't exist, never existed or has been lost.
    >You could buy a copy of Windows 98SE or ME.
    >But you will need to round up all the drivers for your computer.
    >That may be a big challenge.
    >And installing an OS is tough without some guru to help you.
    >Read the current newstand issue of Smart Comuting Magazine.
    >It has an excellent article on backing up and safeguarding your computer.
    >Good luck with this.
    >Frank

    Robin;
    That is the May 2001 issue of Smart Computing Magazine.
    The feature article Create a First-Aid Kit for your PC.
    Drive Image or Ghost may be best choices for you.
    You might be reassured to know that Backup Exec saved me from three hard
    drive disastors in all.
    If you can buy a Win 98 SE OEM disc and get help doing a clean install, you
    might be better set up.
    There is a moderately stiff learning curve to all of this stuff and the Smart
    Computing article is a good starting point.
    Learning to recover from disastor is just vital.
    Find a personal computing guru if you can to help guide you through this.
    The latest versions of all the products mentioned have pretty good interfaces.
    Drive Image has a particularly good, if dense, manual.
    With Backup Exec it's critical that your backup device be listed as supported.
    Cheers Frank

+ Reply to Thread