cd-rw write protected - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on cd-rw write protected - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm using Windows 98 2nd edition,and microsoft backup.Everytime I try to backup to cd-rw a window tells me "This media is write protected.Remove the write protection or insert another media to continue."I'm using brand new blank cd-rw disks,I've erased them ...

  1. cd-rw write protected

    I'm using Windows 98 2nd edition,and microsoft backup.Everytime I try to backup
    to cd-rw a window tells me "This media is write protected.Remove the write
    protection or insert another media to continue."I'm using brand new blank
    cd-rw disks,I've erased them on the adaptec program but still get the same
    message,what do i need to do to correct this problem?

  2. Re: cd-rw write protected

    CDRW media needs to be formatted before you can write to it.

    "Robert Gowitt" wrote in message news:3957ed54$1@hronntp01....

    > I'm using Windows 98 2nd edition,and microsoft backup.Everytime I try to backup
    > to cd-rw a window tells me "This media is write protected.Remove the write
    > protection or insert another media to continue."I'm using brand new blank
    > cd-rw disks,I've erased them on the adaptec program but still get the same
    > message,what do i need to do to correct this problem?

  3. Re: cd-rw write protected

    Absolutely not true. CDRW needs to be formatted only when used
    for packet writing. And, the formats used by DirectCD (and other
    packet software) and that used by Backup Exec are not compatible.
    However, normal mastering software can write to CDRW media
    without any formatting of any kind.

    To the original poster - MS Backup will not function properly
    when the target device is a CD (or CDRW) Writer. If you're
    running packet software, you can perform backups of a sort onto
    formatted media, but you won't have media spanning, etc.

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 17:30:50 -0700, "Jack" wrote:

    >CDRW media needs to be formatted before you can write to it.
    >
    >"Robert Gowitt" wrote in message news:3957ed54$1@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> I'm using Windows 98 2nd edition,and microsoft backup.Everytime I try to backup
    >> to cd-rw a window tells me "This media is write protected.Remove the write
    >> protection or insert another media to continue."I'm using brand new blank
    >> cd-rw disks,I've erased them on the adaptec program but still get the same
    >> message,what do i need to do to correct this problem?

  4. Re: cd-rw write protected

    Don,

    You are correct, but I was assuming from his post that he was using MS Backup and Direct CD
    in which case it would need to be formatted. This would not allow disk spanning but would allow backing up to a file.

    "Don Sterner" wrote in message news:cmbils41o8uob0iui5dlqf99t8cgicugos@4ax.com...
    > Absolutely not true. CDRW needs to be formatted only when used
    > for packet writing. And, the formats used by DirectCD (and other
    > packet software) and that used by Backup Exec are not compatible.
    > However, normal mastering software can write to CDRW media
    > without any formatting of any kind.
    >
    > To the original poster - MS Backup will not function properly
    > when the target device is a CD (or CDRW) Writer. If you're
    > running packet software, you can perform backups of a sort onto
    > formatted media, but you won't have media spanning, etc.
    >

    > On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 17:30:50 -0700, "Jack" wrote:
    >
    > >CDRW media needs to be formatted before you can write to it.
    > >
    > >"Robert Gowitt" wrote in message news:3957ed54$1@hronntp01....
    > >>
    > >> I'm using Windows 98 2nd edition,and microsoft backup.Everytime I try to backup
    > >> to cd-rw a window tells me "This media is write protected.Remove the write
    > >> protection or insert another media to continue."I'm using brand new blank
    > >> cd-rw disks,I've erased them on the adaptec program but still get the same
    > >> message,what do i need to do to correct this problem?

+ Reply to Thread