Re: Full Backup *without* resetting the archive bit? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Re: Full Backup *without* resetting the archive bit? - Veritas Backup Exec ; In article , Rich Holler writes > >>Like maybe you could do the incremental BU first? > >That might sound like a solution on the surface, but it isn't in my situation. > Here's the longer explaination of what I'm ...

  1. Re: Full Backup *without* resetting the archive bit?

    In article <39534849$1@hronntp01.?>, Rich Holler
    writes

    >>Like maybe you could do the incremental BU first?

    >That might sound like a solution on the surface, but it isn't in my situation.
    > Here's the longer explaination of what I'm doing...
    >
    >Each week, I do a full backup to tape. On the other days, I do an incremental
    >backup to tape, *and* a full backup to another hard drive.

    Maybe it would be worthwhile to re-evaluate the objectives...
    Presumably, you are trying to protect against HD failure.
    So, if you do weekly full backups to tape and (another) HD, plus daily
    DIFFERENTIAL backups to the other HD and to tape, you would have
    achieved the same result AND the tape and disk backup images would stay
    'in sync'. Differential (as opposed to incremental) DOES NOT reset the
    A-bit, so you only need to recover from the last full plus the latest
    differential on any given day, from either medium. The only argument I
    can see against this is if you have very heavy disk traffic and / or big
    databases to protect (a single record change in a D/B obviously
    necessitates a complete file backup). Or maybe there's another
    objective....
    --
    John Brooks Technical Sales & Development Manager
    Nemesys Data Systems Ltd., Croydon CR9 6DA, UK

  2. Re: Full Backup *without* resetting the archive bit?

    That's the way to go.

    "john brooks" wrote in message
    > In article

    > writes
    > >
    > >>Like maybe you could do the incremental BU first?

    > >That might sound like a solution on the surface, but it isn't in my

    situation.
    > > Here's the longer explaination of what I'm doing...
    > >
    > >Each week, I do a full backup to tape. On the other days, I do an

    incremental
    > >backup to tape, *and* a full backup to another hard drive.
    > >

    > Maybe it would be worthwhile to re-evaluate the objectives...
    > Presumably, you are trying to protect against HD failure.
    > So, if you do weekly full backups to tape and (another) HD, plus daily
    > DIFFERENTIAL backups to the other HD and to tape, you would have
    > achieved the same result AND the tape and disk backup images would stay
    > 'in sync'. Differential (as opposed to incremental) DOES NOT reset the
    > A-bit, so you only need to recover from the last full plus the latest
    > differential on any given day, from either medium. The only argument I
    > can see against this is if you have very heavy disk traffic and / or big
    > databases to protect (a single record change in a D/B obviously
    > necessitates a complete file backup). Or maybe there's another
    > objective....
    > --
    > John Brooks Technical Sales & Development Manager
    > Nemesys Data Systems Ltd., Croydon CR9 6DA, UK
    > Tele: 44-(020)-8681-8339 Fax: 44-(020)-8406-0105

  3. Re: Full Backup *without* resetting the archive bit?

    >Presumably, you are trying to protect against HD failure.

    Correct.

    >So, if you do weekly full backups to tape and (another) HD,
    >plus daily DIFFERENTIAL backups to the other HD and to tape,
    >you would have achieved the same result AND the tape and disk
    >backup images would stay 'in sync'. Differential (as opposed
    >to incremental) DOES NOT reset the A-bit, so you only need to
    >recover from the last full plus the latest differential on
    >any given day, from either medium. The only argument I
    >can see against this is if you have very heavy disk traffic
    >and / or big databases to protect (a single record change in
    >a D/B obviously necessitates a complete file backup).

    Hmmm, this sounds like a workable alternative. I'll give that a try. Thanks!!