cd's not staying formatted? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on cd's not staying formatted? - Veritas Backup Exec ; hi, i am using 'seagate backup for win98' ver 3.1.1a with a ricoh mp 6200a burner. the cds are 'quick erased' with adaptecs software then the backup software formats them on the fly and is supposed to overwrite each nite. ...

  1. cd's not staying formatted?

    hi,

    i am using 'seagate backup for win98' ver 3.1.1a with a ricoh mp 6200a burner.

    the cds are 'quick erased' with adaptecs software then the backup software formats them on the fly and is
    supposed to overwrite each nite.

    the backup is scheduled to run every morning @ 1:30am.

    most days things work ok and i rotate cds every day.

    some days i find that the cd didnt burn that nite. the problem is for some reason the software thinks the format
    isnt there or isnt good or something. the solution is to re-erase and then it works ok for a few days, then
    the same thing happens.

    anyone else seen this problem and found a fix?

    i tried upgrading to the latest veritas version a couple of months ago but seems like it caused more problems so i
    dropped back to the original older version.

    thanks.
    --
    jim
    jsturtz@NetZero.Net

  2. Re: cd's not staying formatted?

    don't use Adaptec to erase. And let it run a while. The app and Adaptec are using totally different formats, and your just wasting your time, and possibly causing the app to not like it.

    Chris

    "jim sturtz" wrote in message news:39520fbf$1@hronntp01....
[...]

  3. Re: cd's not staying formatted?

    jim sturtz wrote:

    > hi, i am using 'seagate backup for win98' ver 3.1.1a with a ricoh
    > mp 6200a burner. the cds are 'quick erased' with adaptecs software
    > then the backup software formats them on the fly and issupposed to
    > overwrite each nite. the backup is scheduled to run every morning @
    > 1:30am. most days things work ok and i rotate cds every day. some
    > days i find that the cd didnt burn that nite. the problem is for
    > some reason the software thinks the formatisnt there or isnt good or
    > something. the solution is to re-erase and then it works ok for a
    > few days, thenthe same thing happens. anyone else seen this problem
    > and found a fix? i tried upgrading to the latest veritas version a
    > couple of months ago but seems like it caused more problems so
    > idropped back to the original older version. thanks.
    > --
    > jim
    > jsturtz@NetZero.Net

    Hi Jim:
    I assume you're using CD-RWs, since you can't erase CD-Rs. You must
    do a full eraser, NOT a quick erase, before you let BE format the CD.
    --
    Hope this helps.

    Phil
    To assist in maintaining the thread for others who are interested,
    please post any follow-up question or reply in the newsgroup and not
    directly to me:-)

  4. Re: cd's not staying formatted?

    phil,

    i was doing the 'quick' altho i think i had tried the full @ 1 time or
    other.

    will give that a try too, kind of double insurance.
    --
    jim
    jsturtz@NetZero.Net
    Phil Rabichow wrote in message <39563CEA.D01744DF@ZZearthlink.net>...
    >jim sturtz wrote:
    >
    >> hi, i am using 'seagate backup for win98' ver 3.1.1a with a ricoh
    >> mp 6200a burner. the cds are 'quick erased' with adaptecs software
    >> then the backup software formats them on the fly and issupposed to
    >> overwrite each nite. the backup is scheduled to run every morning @
    >> 1:30am. most days things work ok and i rotate cds every day. some
    >> days i find that the cd didnt burn that nite. the problem is for
    >> some reason the software thinks the formatisnt there or isnt good or
    >> something. the solution is to re-erase and then it works ok for a
    >> few days, thenthe same thing happens. anyone else seen this problem
    >> and found a fix? i tried upgrading to the latest veritas version a
    >> couple of months ago but seems like it caused more problems so
    >> idropped back to the original older version. thanks.
    >> --
    >> jim
    >> jsturtz@NetZero.Net

    >Hi Jim:
    >I assume you're using CD-RWs, since you can't erase CD-Rs. You must
    >do a full eraser, NOT a quick erase, before you let BE format the CD.
    >--
    >Hope this helps.
    >
    >Phil
    >To assist in maintaining the thread for others who are interested,
    >please post any follow-up question or reply in the newsgroup and not
    >directly to me:-)

  5. Re: cd's not staying formatted?

    will try using the seagate format exclusively and let you know. ill set one disk up using only the seagate, the other as per phil's suggestion.

    --
    jim
    jsturtz@NetZero.Net
    Chris wrote in message <3952a5e3$1@hronntp01.>...
[...]